Any way to detune individual strings relative to each other?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry if this has already been answered before, but I can't seem to find a way to detune individual strings. For some styles of music, it helps a lot with authenticity and realism to be able to have the strings just slightly out of tune relative to each other. There doesn't seem to be an actual feature for this (at least not that I can find), but maybe there's a reasonably doable workaround or hack to make it happen? It would be really helpful. Any help or info appreciated!

Assuming I'm right in thinking that this feature doesn't currently exist, I'd like to put in a request for it to be added in a future engine update. Just a simple per-string "fine tune" setting ranging from, say, -100 to +100 cents. It would be a super simple and easy way to get a major dose of extra realism! :tu:

It would also be awesome to be able to actually create custom alternate tunings, rather than being limited to a list of specific ones as is currently the case. However, I don't know how doable that would be. Does anyone know whether the different tunings currently available rely upon separate samples captured per-tuning, or do they all simply draw from the standard pool of samples? If the latter, I'd think it should be very doable to allow for custom tunings. On the other hand, it also occurs to me that the realism might suffer when attempting to represent alternative tunings using samples recorded in standard tuning. How is that currently dealt with? Anyone know? :)

Yup, that's on our list of things to add, which would be accompanied by having custom alternate tunings instead of being stuck with just the presets. Like you said, sometimes it's cool to be able to purposefully detune strings. Actually, Van Halen would tune his B string slightly flat so that the interval between the G and B would be smoother, drastically reducing the amount of intermodulation distortion when the amp is dimed.

The current solution to detune strings would be to actually alter the tuning of the zones in the mapping. It's not a very user friendly solution, but it's doable if you know your way around Kontakt's backend editor.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Excellent, thanks. Sounds like good things are coming, looking forward to it! :)

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”