How do I change the guitar articulation during a sequenced guitar track in Cubase?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. I'm using OTS in Kontakt in Cubase. I have a sequenced guitar track and I want the first few bars in whole step slide-ins. How do I get the first few bars to be played as slide-ins before automatically moving directly to sustained fingered notes in the following bars?
How do the controllers work? I'm very new to this.
Regards,
Richard Steed

Hi Richard,

It depends on what method you prefer, but there are a few options:

If it's only for those first few bars, I would recommend using a non-latching keyswitch that's assigned to the slide-in articulation--that would be my choice, personally.

You could also use a MIDI CC. I haven't used Cubase, but I'd imagine the sequencer has some sort of MIDI CC lane where you would add that MIDI data to trigger a MIDI CC. You'll probably want to use a MIDI CC number like CC 2, since CC 1 is set to control the vibrato by default, and then set the range to 64-127--that way when the MIDI CC is halfway up or more, it will select that articulation.

Finally, if you like using a MIDI key to select articulations, but dislike having to keep the note held the entire time, try out the latching keyswitches. After pressing the keyswitch, that articulation will be selected indefinitely until you either press a different latching keyswitch or the unlatch key (mapped right below the main playing range, directly below the strum down and up keys).

Hope that helps!

Greg
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

If I selected CC2 , how would I select the articulation when I want,how does CC work? I've never understood how CC's work. It's something I've never been able to understand. I know it's MIDI, but how will I be able to change the articulation using this CC technique when I want to select it using this method?
I've tried using the latch keyswitch, but all that happens when I select the key on my MIDI keyboard is just the articulation for that particular note when I press it on my keyboard and no other keys sound the articulation on my MIDI keyboard.

How is having CC2 in my Cubase and CC2 in my sampler going to allow me to change the articulation when I want?

The latching keys aren't working for some articulations. They work for mute, sustained (picked) but I can't get it to work with the 'whole step' slide in articulation.
Do you think that my General MIDI keyboard is the problem?
Do you think I need a MIDI 2 keyboard?

The whole step slide in articulation is more like an articulation modifier. You can assign it to a latching keyswitch, but it needs to know which articulation to use (sustain, palm mute, etc.). So try leaving the sustain set to a velocity range of 0-127 so that it always will be selected, and that way using the whole step slide in articulation will be played with with the sustain articulation (as opposed to a palm muted slide in, for example).

MIDI CCs (which is short for "continuous controller") are just another type of MIDI input. The most well known examples of MIDI CCs is the mod wheel. There are 128 of these MIDI CCs total, each having values from 0 (minimum) to 127 (maximum). Depending on your DAW, usually the MIDI CCs from 120-127 are reserved for things like stopping all notes and other special actions, so it's best to avoid those. There are a few others that your DAW might already be using internally, such as CC #7, which is used for the track's volume. MIDI CC #64 is the sustain pedal, so that's another good one to know. MIDI CC #1 corresponds to the mod wheel on your keyboard, which is set to vibrato by default in the Evolution guitar libraries--though I should mention that you can change that in the "setup" page in the sample library to any other CC # you prefer or even aftertouch (if your keyboard supports that, which is triggered by putting extra pressure on the key on your keyboard while it's held).

For articulations, I usually use CCs like 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, etc., avoiding ones that are usually assigned to something else (like CC 7 as the track volume as I mentioned before). For the MIDI CC range, I usually set it to 64-127. That way if the MIDI CC is halfway up or more, the articulation will be selected.

Hope that helps!
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

How do i assign one of my rotary knobs on my MIDI keyboard to lets say, CC 2 so I can change the articulation?
My MIDI keyboard doesn't have a program for me to assign one of the knobs to CC2 .How do I do it?

Which MIDI keyboard are you using? I can look into it for you, since usually for things like that there's some sort of internal setup where you can change which CCs the rotary knobs affect, etc. That stuff would be documented in the manual for your MIDI keyboard, but like I said, if you let me know which MIDI keyboard you're using I can figure that out for you.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

I'm using the Novation Launchkey 61

Hmm, it looks like the rotary knobs are set to the following:

1. CC #21
2. CC #22
3. CC #23
4. CC #24
5. CC #25
6. CC #26
7. CC #27
8. CC #28

I can't seem to find any way of changing those in the Launchkey, but you should be able to map the articulations to any of those MIDI CC numbers. So instead of trying to use CC #2, use CC #21, for example.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

How do I map them in Cubase? Or Kontakt or Orange Tree? Whichever?

Why not read the manual for the OTS product you're using? It's right there on the interface on the PLAY tab, all the articulations and methods on how to decide when should which one play...

R.STEED wrote:How do I map them in Cubase? Or Kontakt or Orange Tree? Whichever?
If it's an articulation you want to map, in the mapping section you can click on the articulation condition (set to velocity by default I believe) drop down and select the MIDI CC # from there. Then you just need to adjust the range that's required to select that articulation. So for example, you could select CC #21, and then set the range to around 64 to 127. That means that when the CC #21 rotary knob is halfway up or more, the articulation will be selected.

For automating other controls on the interface, you can right-click on them and then use the MIDI learn option to assign the control on your MIDI keyboard to the control on the interface.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

I'm having trouble mapping CC's to Evolution Strawberry using Kontakt Player version 5 and Ableton 9. I've set Sustain to CC13 (which is a slider on my keyboard). I can see the input signal coming into Ableton when I move the slider, but nothing changes on Evolution Strawberry. (I expect to see the red band changing length based on slider position). Is there some setting in Kontakt to allow the CC thru Kontakt to Evolution Strawberry that I'm missing?

In Kontakt, Evolution Strawberry - Host Automation is pre-set for CC# to CC102. Then for the articulations, starting with Sustain, you can map CC1 to 30. Confusing! Nothing seems to work and nothing on the internet or in the manual (that I could find) that describes this.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”