Using EAG with a Midi Guitar?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

After watching the Eigenharp demonstration of the EAG library, I immediately went online and purchased a copy with the idea of using it with my ZTAR.

After playing around a bit with the software over the weekend, I really like the samples and am impressed by the logic that is behind the scenes. I am however wondering if there might be a way to transmit specifically the note and string I am playing without the software interpreting which string and fret the note is coming from. Appreciate that the qay it works today is absolutely necessary for playing from a keyboard, but when using a controller that can send strum triggers independently as well as unique messages for each string/fret combination - the internal logic can unfortunately override the playing intent.

On this end I have a lot of flexibility over what and how I send midi messages as I can either transmit directly from the ZTAR or through a custom translation program I have written that enables customization of alternative tunings and single button chords through software.

Look forward to your thoughts.

At least with the lead guitar engine, you can set the string selection to MIDI guitar input. Go to "Performance" in the main dropdown menu, then "Picking", and then set the string knob to MIDI Guitar. That way the strings will be separated into MIDI channels 1-6.

By the way, I am in communication with the guys who make the ZTAR, at StarrLabs. Improving the MIDI guitar compatibility and features is on the list of improvements for the Kontakt 4 Evolution update.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Don't forget when you set the string knob to MIDI Guitar, you also have to set EAG's input channel in Kontakt to Omni. If it's set to only one channel, it won't process the input from the other five.

That's how it works from my experience, anyway. I use Kontakt with FL Studio as a host. It might work differently in other hosts or running standalone, but I don't have any experience with those.

Oh, yes that's right--thanks for that, I forgot that step. Pretty crucial if you want to be able to play on the strings other than just the low E string. ;)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks -
Am embarrassed to admit I hadn't found the midi guitar setting yet. Sounds perfect

Harvey and the gang at Starr Labs make some great controllers and anything you can do to add to their ease of use I am sure would be welcomed by Ztar owners.

As you consider features to work with the Ztar, you may also want to consider incorporating support for the Fender controllers used with the Rockband video game - both the plastic version and the squire electric have ZTar like functionality with fretboard detection and with just a bit of computer based processing can be made to emulate much of what the Ztar is capable.

In addition to having written a patch editor for the Starr Labs instrument, I developed a program that brings alternate tunings, single button chord definitions and other ztar like functions to the fender controllers. If you are curious in checking it out, a video of an early version can be found on YouTube under the name wirelessmidiguitar -

Thanks again for the reply

Konaztar wrote: Thu May 26, 2011 12:53 pm Thanks -
Am embarrassed to admit I hadn't found the midi guitar setting yet. Sounds perfect

Harvey and the gang at Starr Labs make some great controllers and anything you can do to add to their ease of use I am sure would be welcomed by Ztar owners.

As you consider features to work with the Ztar, you may also want to consider incorporating support for the Fender controllers used with the Rockband video game - both the plastic version and the squire electric have ZTar like functionality with fretboard detection and with just a bit of computer based processing can be made to emulate much of what the Ztar is capable.

In addition to having written a patch editor for the Starr Labs instrument, I developed a program that brings alternate tunings, single button chord definitions and other ztar like functions to the fender controllers. If you are curious in checking it out, a video of an early version can be found on YouTube under the name wirelessmidiguitar -

Thanks again for the reply
Hey buddy i just got a neww Z6s and i cannot find a patch editor on the net , can you send me yours ? desperate

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”