Questions about polybend

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, linnstrument and seaboard rise user here (and potential customer)!

I just found out today that you guys added polyphonic pitch bend responding to multiple channels, which is great news for MPE device users. I didn't think anyone had done that for Kontakt guitars yet!

So two questions:

The first came up in the Roger Linn forum. Do any other modulations respond to different channels like the pitch bend? FOr example if we were to go in and assign aftertouch or CC74 to some parameter through kontakts modulation, would it modulate these per note on the separate channels as well? I'm assuming not, but I don't know how the scripting works.

Secondly, which instruments include polybend? I was looking on the site and trying to find it listed, even checked some manuals, but no mention. I'm wondering which guitars, acoustics, and basses have this.

Thanks!

Currently only the pitch bend responds to individual channels. Automating controls to MIDI CCs is done through Kontakt's built-in automation, which doesn't differentiate MIDI channels, and therefore behaves in a monophonic way. That's something we'd definitely like to improve on in order to provide more complete MPE capabilities instead of just the pitch bend.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks! Any thoughts on the second question?

Hi Greg
On another forum I found ... viewtopic.php?f=263&t=532674&p=7626045#p7626045

Echoes in the Attic
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:23 am
Wanted to mention something awesome about Orange Tree Samples. In the current form, their instruments that support polyphonic pitch bend are not able to trigger legato scripting for hammer-ons and offs unless the overlapping notes are on the same channel. This can work well for Linnstruments channel per row mode if your host supports that, but it gets pretty cumbersome with some hosts like Bitwig where you lose the pitch per note (micropitch) editing ability since you can't have overlapping notes of the same channel in MPE mode. So I asked Greg whether it would be possible to have a mode where the scripting worked regardless of the channel and he very quickly sent me a modified Kontakt NKI of one of my guitar products with this modification, which makes it possible to have all the legato scripting but still be able to bend notes separately and use the regular channel per note mode on mpe devices (and so you can play multiple notes on a row on linnstrument but still get legato script responses). I'm not sure what his plans are in terms of inclusion in the next updates but at least it's easy to get those modified versions from him. I think it's the only guitar library with this functionality and it sure beats having duplicate instances!

I too would be very interested if this was being rolled out to all the appropriate Orange Samples, and in this modified .nki if it's available?
Cheers
Toby

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”