FR: A simple, low CPU micro pitch shifter and delay

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like using a certain "vocal thickening" technique, which uses small delays and small pitch changes, in alternating amounts on L & R channels, like this:
VocThickSetup.JPG
I need a simple, low CPU delay: So first, I see that
M-Utility has a delay. Would that be a good low CPU option?

Next, for a low CPU simple pitch shift: Is it possible to use
MFreq Shifter for that? Or will it necessarily change harmonic relationships?
Also, MAutopitch has a pitch shift, but that seems to affect the auto-tune processing. But I just need a simple pitch shift in cents. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can use the pitch shift in auto pitch. Its possibly to turn off the auto it and just use the standard shift.
You also need 8 delays, so for this the lowest CPU will be either delay tap or utility.
Set up a couple of structures in MXXX and then test the CPU in the settings.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

If you want the "vocal thickening", check MDoubleTracker, it sort of does just this. Note that it's not that simple to use a delay like this.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:41 pm If you want the "vocal thickening", check MDoubleTracker, it sort of does just this. Note that it's not that simple to use a delay like this.
Thanks for the reply! I might check out MDoubleTracker, but I do want to learn how things achieve
what they achieve. Melda plugs do a lot under the hood, AND let us tinker and learn under the hood!

I think I have what I'm looking for by using M-Utility for delay, and M-AuotPitch for pitch shift.
* First I used MTransformer, which did work well, with 3% CPU usage per instance in Studio One v 4.6
** Then, I tried MAutoPitch, using the pitch shift but and turning the auto-tune to 0% (I think)..
CPU usage was only 2%, according to Studio One's CPU usage meter. And that sounds small..like a
1 percent difference. Right? *** But 3% is 1.5 times 2%.
With many instances used for this effect chain, MAutoPitch is winning so far.

So, anybody got some vocals that they want me to thicken?

If you want thickening, I got something for ya! It works better than those pills they advertise
all over the place.

**** If you want lengthening, well then, I do have some pills to sell you!

Here's a video that explains the technique and effects chain.
NOTE: It is now easier to do this in not just in Studio One since this video was made,
but also with MXXX.....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8N0LlJkzQg

Note that the CPU meters are quite inaccurate, but MAutoPitch is likely less demanding than MTransformer, simply because of the feature set. MDoubleTracker would probably be the fastest though.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”