MSF Question

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let me provide the context for this question first – it should clarify what I’m asking.

I’ve got a MSF device under development that’s basically an old-fashioned subtractive synth implementation. It’s all pretty much done except that I want to be able to take advantage of the TurboFilter module when that becomes available. I also would like to start doing presets now that I won’t have to redo when I change to the final version of TurboFilter.

I’m assuming the final TurboFilter will have some interesting options that I’d like to offer the device user. So, can I do the following? I could provide a Filter Type bank MP with a single option to begin with named, say, Generic LP4. I’d have all my presets use that (since it’s the only option, there'd be no other choice). When TurboFilter gets finalized, maybe it will have options like Moog LP4, Roland LP4, Oberheim LP2, etc. (with names that won’t be Melda sued, of course). I could then change the device configuration without changing the MPs, other than I’d add the new options to the Filter Type bank.

More generally, the question is this: can you change things in a device “under the covers” leaving all the MPs just as they are (except more options might be added to banks) and still have your presets remain valid?

The device presets are just a list of MP numbers with a percentage value for each one. It has no way of know what something is or attached to etc.
Imagine MP1 in banks mode with 3 banks, we will name them LP6, LP12 and LP24. If you save a device preset with LP12 selected, the preset will store MP1=50%. If you later change the number of banks to 5, let's name them LP6, LP12, LP24, LP48 and LP96. Now when you load the same preset it will load LP24, as it is in the 50% position.
The trick is to ensure that if you change/add anything, existing things keep their percentage positions. So to solve your problem, set up a dummy MP that will later be the filter mode. Doesn't matter what you name it as that will not be saved as part of the device preset. Make sure for all the presets you save, it is set at 0%. Later you can turn this MP to banks mode and add 10 banks to it, no problem, so long as you keep the neutral filter sound in bank 1.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Excellent explanation. Very clear. So, thank you!

Return to “MeldaProduction”