MeldaProduction are NOT going to stop supporting OSX platform.

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by topaz on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, you copy them to windows drives :). My guess is that there even are drivers for other filesystems, so you may be able to access them directly, but I'm not sure. Anyways, just a friendly email, because the situation on OSX imho got out of control.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Last edited by topaz on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don’t think a pc will read journaled drives.

MeldaProduction wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 pm Well, you copy them to windows drives :). My guess is that there even are drivers for other filesystems, so you may be able to access them directly, but I'm not sure. Anyways, just a friendly email, because the situation on OSX imho got out of control.

Hard to say. Anyways, the article doesn't say you must switch, just that there is a certain option, which will have certain advantages, how to do that. And you may think about it ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I found the email a bit offensive, to be honest.

The fear of Catalina is overblown. I expect that if I upgraded Melda plugins would continue to work just fine. The issue for developers seems mostly to do with the installers requiring 'notarization' from Apple. But because Melda only have one main installer, I doubt it should be a real problem for Vojtech to get this done before too long.

Of course it would be much easier for plugin developers if they only had to code for one platform but to actually write to Mac users and implicitly criticise their choice of platform is not a wise move. It makes me wonder if I should abandon Melda and not recommend their plugins anymore, as I don't know if they have a future on the Mac.

I wonder if macOS has much of a future. Last time I checked, it represents about 7% of all PC installs. What % of Melda users are on macOS?

It's like when I told Ableton that if they don't give me an edu discount, that I qualified for but they were hassling me about, I wouldn't recommend them. I'd like to think they lost sleep over that but something tells me I'm the one dreaming. By all means, use Live - I just don't recommend it :)

For audio production it would be higher than 7%, that's pretty certain.

onerob wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:47 pm It makes me wonder if I should abandon Melda and not recommend their plugins anymore, as I don't know if they have a future on the Mac.
If you dislike Melda solely for this (in my opinion super congenial) mail / move and thus do not use their plugins anymore, I wonder how much you really like the pure use of their tools anyway. ;)

In my opinion Meldaproduction is one of the most innovative companies out there with very fair (if not even "too fair") prices and forward thinking technologies. Sure, this might sound like a simple fanboy blah blah, but I do not care. If anybody does not want to use Meldaproduction anymore, nothing stands in their way!
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

onerob: Sorry if you feel offended, that wasn't the point. The article is really about the fact that there are problems and there is an alternative, where the problem isn't. Main problem with Catalina is the notarization indeed, but it's not that simple, it's not just that installer. It's also every plugin. So you have to notarize, wait for hours (at least), create installer(s), wait again, and in all cases hope for the best. Then you have the removal of 32-bit support, which means breaking compatibility with ProTools 10, so users of this DAW will be abandoned, or Catalina support won't happen. Then you have the removal of OpenGL in the future... And none of this is necessary if Apple would do their job properly. That's the situation. And considering the way they act now, who knows what will happen next yet, or year after that...
I personally don't care about the computers themselves, or Apple logo, or prices... if you want it, no problem. But the situation there is too unstable and unpredictable. Users don't know that, and they should.

Hexspa: Actually it's like 30% in audio industry, mostly because of the past. But you know how it is... past sticks to the future...

Tagirijus: :love:
Vojtech

topaz wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:19 pm Also what about all those logic users ?
That was how many years ago the question for all the win users? :D
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

PC problems are holding me from switching, i was disappointed 5 times by buying a PC, although i agree with all the theory around PC's. After owning 3 Mac computers i can say it is going to be a life or death situation to make me switch. As much as i would love to go to PC platform for all the benefits. Just my 2 cents, from my experience.

MeldaProduction wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 pm onerob: Sorry if you feel offended, that wasn't the point. The article is really about the fact that there are problems and there is an alternative, where the problem isn't. Main problem with Catalina is the notarization indeed, but it's not that simple, it's not just that installer. It's also every plugin. So you have to notarize, wait for hours (at least), create installer(s), wait again, and in all cases hope for the best. Then you have the removal of 32-bit support, which means breaking compatibility with ProTools 10, so users of this DAW will be abandoned, or Catalina support won't happen. Then you have the removal of OpenGL in the future... And none of this is necessary if Apple would do their job properly. That's the situation. And considering the way they act now, who knows what will happen next yet, or year after that...
I personally don't care about the computers themselves, or Apple logo, or prices... if you want it, no problem. But the situation there is too unstable and unpredictable. Users don't know that, and they should.

Hexspa: Actually it's like 30% in audio industry, mostly because of the past. But you know how it is... past sticks to the future...

Tagirijus: :love:
The article is about your problems though, not the user's problems.

The entire premise of the article is that things are hard for you, so the users should endure a painful switch so that you possibly can have an easier time.

There's also clearly a strong anti-Apple bias given that nowhere in the article does it say "You can just use Bootcamp on your mac while you get used to things". More than half the article is about buying a new non-Apple computer.
One final thing if you are an oldschool Apple user, do not forget that your mouse has a right button and mouse wheel, remarkably cool things :).
Not insulting... sure.

Signed,
A Windows User

Switching to a PC would be a lot more hassle for me than just not using Melda plugins anymore. Every other developer email said they would be Catalina ready as soon as possible but recommend waiting to upgrade... only Melda suggested switching operating systems as the solution. I have unsubscribed from future emails and will no longer buy any Melda plugins, as I have lost confidence in their willingness to adapt to change.

Tagirijus wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:08 pm If you dislike Melda solely for this (in my opinion super congenial) mail / move and thus do not use their plugins anymore, I wonder how much you really like the pure use of their tools anyway. ;)
I wouldn't move away from Melda because of the email, or because Vojtech doesn't like Apple (most developers are Windows based and prefer that platform), but if it looks like Mac will be abandoned then it would be helpful to know in order to make future decisions.
MeldaProduction wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 pm onerob: Sorry if you feel offended, that wasn't the point. The article is really about the fact that there are problems and there is an alternative, where the problem isn't. Main problem with Catalina is the notarization indeed, but it's not that simple, it's not just that installer. It's also every plugin. So you have to notarize, wait for hours (at least), create installer(s), wait again, and in all cases hope for the best. Then you have the removal of 32-bit support, which means breaking compatibility with ProTools 10, so users of this DAW will be abandoned, or Catalina support won't happen. Then you have the removal of OpenGL in the future... And none of this is necessary if Apple would do their job properly. That's the situation. And considering the way they act now, who knows what will happen next yet, or year after that...
If every plugin requires a separate notarization process then I can understand that it's a real pain. There is at least a grace period until January to make the transition a bit easier, but I get the developer frustration.

Return to “MeldaProduction”