Premiere Pro Performance Lag

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. When I use the plugins in Premiere Pro, the GUI becomes less responsive. I'm not sure what the root of the issue is but I'm happy to investigate.

While I am using 4k media, I'm also using 720p Cineform proxies at 1/8th display resolution. Also, I haven't checked to compare performance vs the native Adobe audio effects but I can.

My CPU is a 9900k with 32GB RAM. I don't believe I'm hitting any bottlenecks in either place. What I don't have is a GPU - just integrated graphics.

If I can help uncover the issue, please let me know how. Or, maybe I just need a GPU. Mostly, I'm wondering if this issue in Premiere is known or whether there's an issue at all.

Thanks.

Does anybody here use Melda plugins in any NLE? I know there's at least one blog which recommends the free bundle for video post. Please share your experience.

Thanks.

No issues using Melda Plugins on Vegas Pro Edit 15. I have the advantage of a GTX1080 which can help hardware accelerate the UI. That may be what you're struggling with as software rendering can be less responsive at times, depending on the work load and how threading is done.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

dakkra wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:17 pm No issues using Melda Plugins on Vegas Pro Edit 15. I have the advantage of a GTX1080 which can help hardware accelerate the UI. That may be what you're struggling with as software rendering can be less responsive at times, depending on the work load and how threading is done.
Ok. Got an RTX 2070 on my buy list. Will update once it's installed.

Thanks.

Which Melda plugins are you using in specific? That could also be a factor in this. I tested with MXXX containing some dynamics and creative effects. Nothing spectral (FFT) based though.
My Setup.

Of course I can't replicate it right now but it was happening - I swear!

In Premiere, I have MAutoVolume, MUtility, and MAutoDynamics inserted in that order on A1 (audio track 1) in the Audio Track Mixer and MLimiterX last on the master.

When the lag was happening, it may have been after I was experimenting with MAutoVolume's Look-Ahead knob. Once the lag started, any knob would take about 2-3 seconds to update it's value and the GUI would be basically unresponsive.

I'm not sure whether restarting Premiere would've helped or clearing the cache. I'll try those things next time it pops up. Currently, I'm not doing much video editing but I will be soon and Melda are pretty much the only third party plugins I'm using so it'll probably happen for sure. Using version 13.05 of the plugs with version 13.1.4 of Premiere.

Maybe I can make a screen recording but, since that takes system resources, it might not be the best thing.

I appreciate the response.

I tried a few things including clearing the media cache, restarting premiere, dropping the GUI refresh in Melda to 24 and disabling GPU acceleration.

Still randomly laggy but I'll report back once I get a GPU.

You stated earlier that you were using look-ahead dynamics. I did some research and unless you can confirm otherwise, it doesn't look like Premiere has Plugin Delays Compensation, or doesn't handle it well. Look-ahead dynamics will add a small amount of delay, though it should only affect audio, not the GUI. Vegas Pro doesn't compensate the audio delay so the audio and video are out of sync when I use delay inducing features, but the GUI itself has no issues. This really is strange me.
My Setup.

I vaguely remember having some lag in other projects but I can't say for sure.

This project to which I'm currently referring is an internal-use-only test between two Sony camera picture profiles. In it, I'm just mumbling observations to the camera from behind it so there's no reference to determine A/V sync.

All I can say is that the Melda plugs are definitely acting strangely in this project - I have no reason to lie or slander. As a matter of fact, MAutoDynamicEQ's Dry/Wet knob also happened to be jiggling like a Feynman-esque Brownian particle upon reopening it. Maybe I'll try out some Adobe native plugs to compare.

Given that, besides Native Instruments and one XLN instrument, all my 3rd-party VSTs are from Melda, I'm going to see whether this continues in future fresh projects. After all, sometimes sessions get corrupted; or rather, perhaps I corrupt them being mostly self-taught and independent.

Not a deal-breaker. Just giving feedback. Cheers.
Last edited by Hexspa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

@hexspa, you've never listed your current hardware/etc...would be helpful.../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

9900k, Aorus z390 Pro, 32GB Crucial RAM, Windows 10 v1903, Melda v13.05, v13.1.4 of Premiere. It's a pretty fresh build - rather lean and dedicated to production. No cracked warez here.

FWIW, no problems with Melda in REAPER so far. And to be fair, Premiere has crashed on me several times without any Melda plugins so I'm not ready to point any fingers. I've recently switched back to Windows from macOS and, despite my appreciation for them, I rate Adobe's stability somewhere between REAPER and Ableton Live - based on my use with both OSes.

Again, just providing user feedback with hopes to help iron out any possible issues.

Hmmm, I'd definitely go for a GPU, integrated ones are like "none at all" :), basically just output ports. Especially since you are doing video. It's quite possible that there's some collision with the repeated refreshes of the plugins with repeated refreshes of Premiere. Hard to say, but my guess is that GPU will fix that.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Right on. Probably also monkeying around with the Look-ahead. Cheers.

I would also like to note that I've replaced another VST limiter with MXXX1 in OBS. My old limiter VST would crash OBS but MXXX1 works well without crashing. OBS doesn't like it when the GUI resizes, but a simple close/reopen always fixes that issue.

I thought I'd only use Melda in the DAW but it's proven useful in other cases as well. I love it! :tu:
My Setup.

Having another issue in Premiere Pro with MAutoVolume and A/Bing settings. If you have different settings in A and B and try to toggle between them while playing back your video, the settings are resetting on me.

Can someone else confirm? Thanks.

Return to “MeldaProduction”