MXXX Core vs Studio One Extended FX Chain

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Question for those who own Studio One and MXXX or MXXX Core.

I currently own MFreeFXBundle, MCreativeFXBundle, MSoundFactory, MTurboReverb and MAutoDynamicEQ.

I was considering picking up MXXX Core but I was wondering what advantages, if any, it has over the Extended FX Chains in Studio One? Would I be getting anything significantly better by getting MXXX Core?

In Studio One I can use the MFreeFXBundle in the Extended FX Chains, whereas I believe MXXX Core restricts me from doing so. Both systems allow macro knobs and buttons.

Unfortunately I can't demo MXXX Core with my setup, I can only demo MXXX so it's hard to figure out how many presets would be "unloadable".

Look forward to any feedback from the group.

MXXX will give you access to al the included plug-ins, MXXX Core will let you access the ones in the MCreativeFX
Bundle, MSoundFactory, MTurboReverb and MAutoDynamicEQ (but not those in the MFreeFX bundle).

Factory presets would only be "unavailable" if they included a plug-in that you do not have. What is the problem with demoing MXXXCore?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 pm MXXX will give you access to al the included plug-ins, MXXX Core will let you access the ones in the MCreativeFX
Bundle, MSoundFactory, MTurboReverb and MAutoDynamicEQ (but not those in the MFreeFX bundle).

Factory presets would only be "unavailable" if they included a plug-in that you do not have. What is the problem with demoing MXXXCore?
Is there a way to demo MXXXCore? I thought that's just a limited license of MXXX. I only saw the option to install MXXX.

Sorry, don't know.

My thinking:
-- maybe MXXXCore is the same software as MXXX with its functionality / scope determined by the Serial Number?
-- if so, you would demo MXXX and should be able to load the plug-ins you already have (but not the FreeFX) in MXXX Demo mode and the others would be unavailable.
-- it would just be a matter of going through them all.

But that may be nonsense. I do not know as I have MXXX.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 pm MXXX will give you access to al the included plug-ins, MXXX Core will let you access the ones in the MCreativeFX
I think this needs clarification ... but as I have the full MXXX, I can't confirm it. The limitation regarding free bundle modules means (I think) that having the free compressor, for example, does not get you access to the compression modules in MXXX core. However, the indispensable Utility module is available in MXXX core irrespective of you having MUtility that comes in the free bundle. If you have MCreativeFX and an EQ, you can do an immense amount with MXXX core. You'd have no access to the dynamics modules, for example. But a list is provided here of what you get in MXXX Core based upon what you own:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MXXXCore

The compressor module is an exeption. Maybe I'm wrong but I think It is included by default. I Have it in my MXXXCore but no compressor licence from melda here...

So let me ask this.... Would you recommend MXXX Core? Or do you find yourself just loading individual plugins in your DAW instead?

Here is a little advice on this.
I never load individual plugins from Melda.
Why?
4 plugins loaded inside MXXX core (or the full version) will use less CPU than if they were individual plugins.
Even if I am just using a single reverb, I would load into MXXX.
I can always come back to add or take away at anytime. Other than CPU, there are other benefits of having the plugins loaded inside MXXX as opposed to loading them individually.
The routing will be more flexible than the DAW, including combinations of serial/parallel with feedback channels.
Always having the crossovers to hand to split signals by, frequency, level, spectral content, mid/side, transients etc.
Sometimes you may wish to modulate something and then realise that you want to use the same modulator to modulate something from another Melda plugin (of course this can not be done if they were loaded individually) this can be useful to have more than one thing in the FX chain move together and also saves CPU as they share a modulator.
Using the multiparameters as macros to control multiple parameters from multiple plugins with one knob (again, this is not possible if they are loaded separately, unless you can do it in the DAW)
Global bypass and dry/wet to control all FX at once.

For these reasons and others, the only FX plugin I load is MXXX, then I build my chains inside it.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Well it depends what you're after. For me the big point with mxxx core is his modulation power, and it works marvel with my DAW's parameter modulation (I use Reaper) so FX chains and MXXX can work together too. The bad point is after that you might want to buy all melda's stuff... If like me you're into digging searching for new sounds, MXXXcore and McreativeFXbundle is already much more than enough!

@ ElVincente
Perhaps you can clear up a few things for us?

Given that you have MXXXcore and McreativeFXbundle (only?):
-- which plug-ins work fully in MXXX?
-- what does the plug-in selector window look like (are the others greyed out or similar)?
-- what happens if you select one of the others?
Inspired by ...

Given that you have MXXXcore and McreativeFXbundle (only?):
Well I have a few others too... :scared:
-- which plug-ins work fully in MXXX?
Most of the modulation and spectral stuff listed here :https://www.meldaproduction.com/MXXXCore. But sorry I'm too lazy to list them all :P
-- what does the plug-in selector window look like (are the others greyed out or similar)?
Sadly no difference that would be a great FR
-- what happens if you select one of the others?
It load ok but you get intermitent noise, it is red in the module window

jmg8 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 am (...) will use less CPU than if they were individual plugins.
Even if I am just using a single reverb, I would load into MXXX.
Are you sure with that? When I perform the CPU Benchmarks in the Settings of MXXX and MReverbMB(1Band) I get quiet different results... it seems that my Surfacebook can perform 99 instances of MXXX with one instance of Reverb. While MReverbMB (with only one Band) can be performed 150 times. So MXXX needs more CPU than the single plugin.

Maybe my results aren´t reflecting the real thing (test doesn´t take Multithreading into account)... I often asked myself which method would be better (single or mxxx). This would be good to know. Maybe Vojtech can enlighten us on this subject?
Everyone knows more than I do...

You are correct, if it is just a single plugin. But try 2 or more, then you start to see the savings.
The reason I said I would use a single reverb inside MXXX is because it probably wouldn't stay as just 1. As my production progresses, it is likely I would add more to the signal chain, hence it is useful to have the reverb already inside MXXX.

jmg8 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am You are correct, if it is just a single plugin. But try 2 or more, then you start to see the savings.
The reason I said I would use a single reverb inside MXXX is because it probably wouldn't stay as just 1. As my production progresses, it is likely I would add more to the signal chain, hence it is useful to have the reverb already inside MXXX.
I tried it now with 6 instances of Reverb in Reaper to get the CPU readout on the Channel (MXXX: 6 Reverb VS. 1 MReverbMB +5 MReverb = same amount of crossover and Reverbs)

But still i get similar results: MXXX: 1.6% CPU | Single Instances: 1.1% CPU...
This may be because in a DAW every channel is adressed to a single core(thread) on the CPU and therefore it only would apply if I had several channels and test these. Not sure...what the conclusion is... so it only applies when one has a lot channels????

( :help: Vojtech :help: )
Everyone knows more than I do...

It was Vojtech that told me about it, quite a few years ago. I never tested it. Maybe things changed, not sure. Hopefully he will shed some light.

Return to “MeldaProduction”