FR: Add a one step save-a-patch option

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No need for popping up a dialog box and clicking on 'Replace' to save a patch under its current name.

Instead, a simple most basic Save button.

One step, one click, done.

Or if a UI element is too involved, a Ctrl-s shortcut.

Mostly for MSF, but also for every other plugin.

Very useful when editing. And many people are editing. This is not a niche feature.

Cheers.

Careful!!! I find that when loading a device, going into Edit mode and saving the global preset presents a dialog in which the device currently selected is *not* the one I'm working on. A one-button/no-dialog save function could really cause the loss of a lot of work, and it might be days before you even realize you trashed something valuable.

dmbaer wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 pm Careful!!! I find that when loading a device, going into Edit mode and saving the global preset presents a dialog in which the device currently selected is *not* the one I'm working on.
Then there's a problem right there isn't it.

I'm not familiar at all with devices. I'm now trying to save one or rather I'm trying to find where is hidden that famous Editable Flag thing, 'editable' and 'flag' being totally absent front he documentation I have. I guess I should download the current docs.

Nope, not in the current docs.

Such a big deal is made with that Editable Flag and yet, nowhere to be found. And I will not search the forum :ud:

mevla wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:52 pm
dmbaer wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 pm Careful!!! I find that when loading a device, going into Edit mode and saving the global preset presents a dialog in which the device currently selected is *not* the one I'm working on.
Then there's a problem right there isn't it.

I'm not familiar at all with devices. I'm now trying to save one or rather I'm trying to find where is hidden that famous Editable Flag thing, 'editable' and 'flag' being totally absent front he documentation I have. I guess I should download the current docs.

Nope, not in the current docs.

Such a big deal is made with that Editable Flag and yet, nowhere to be found. And I will not search the forum :ud:
It's right here:

:ud: Thanks ! : 8)

It might be that the problem with no having the proper given name when saving an edited device stems from the fact that it always needs to go through the export function to be saved ?

The plug-ins don't really do keyboard shortcuts, so where would the [Save] button go? Next to the current [Presets] button.

Saving is only 2 clicks (and a mouse move) at the moment. That seems OK and safer to me. Too often have I overwritten files with a one-click save. In fact, where I can, I have replaced [Save] buttons by [Save As] to force up the dialogue window!
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

dmbaer wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 pm Careful!!! I find that when loading a device, going into Edit mode and saving the global preset presents a dialog in which the device currently selected is *not* the one I'm working on. A one-button/no-dialog save function could really cause the loss of a lot of work, and it might be days before you even realize you trashed something valuable.
Edit: Instead of

"presents a dialog in which the device currently selected is *not* the one I'm working on"

I should have written

"presents a dialog in which the global preset currently selected is *not* the one I'm working on"

DarkStar wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:43 pm Saving is only 2 clicks (and a mouse move) at the moment. That seems OK and safer to me. Too often have I overwritten files with a one-click save. In fact, where I can, I have replaced [Save] buttons by [Save As] to force up the dialogue window!
I don't understand. With everything else, one opens a document, gives a name if there's none, and works on it. A save will save under the current name. How can there be any overwriting of unintentional data ?

Apart from this version 13 changelog has this item:

Save device button renamed to Export device and added additional precautions from saving a device instead of the preferred global presets.

Because when I have modified something I much prefer to save it with a slightly different name, even if it just adding a version number. Getting the dialogue prompts me to type in the modified name. With a one-click Save button I would find it far too easy to overwrite things.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I see. That's a legitimate user problem. But then, it's one we could say that's found universally. Same goes for a document. If one wants to change the name in order to preserve a previous version, then one must not do 'Save' but rather a 'Save as ...'. It did not prevent the implementation of a 'Save' function in all software with it's one-button counterpart (or one key press such as the ubiquitous ctrl-s)

Return to “MeldaProduction”