Melda GUI improvements

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just one....more....little...tweak....and.....

A GUI that EVERYBODY absolutely loves. 100% unanimously!

Almost there!

DarkStar wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:13 pm Any better?
I love it.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

The main thing about that which is objectively less good than the others, is that the bright green is present on all knobs, whether they're used or not. It reduces the at-a-glance utility of 'bright green = knob in use' which is present in the other designs most people prefer.

DarkStar wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 pm So, another knob style choice to be made: left-hand or right-hand?

+1 for Right.

I've followed this thread without comment until now - those knobs are really, really good and I want them.

prodigal_sounds wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:13 am
DarkStar wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 pm So, another knob style choice to be made: left-hand or right-hand?

+1 for Right.
those knobs are really, really good and I want them.
I agree 100%.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

+1 for Right.

I've followed this thread without comment until now - those knobs are really, really good and I want them.
+1 for Right, in my opinion those are great. I would be 100% satisfied working with those.

Also, I really like these new melda beta 13.03 version knobs (see for example this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3uud0gPNs), those are also knobs that I consider to be functional and at the same time aesthetically pleasing.

I agree with a lot of the previous modification suggestions though (see pics below), here are my 2 cents:

1. I prefer lower-text case for everything apart from headings/module names (Someone mentioned in this thread that one can already select this option in preferences, I need to double check that).
2. I think the outer ring should be slightly thinner.
3. In my opinion the module name text should be centered.
4. Perhaps the module name text should be colored the same as the buttons/knobs of the same module (as on the above pic), though it needs a very careful buttons/knobs color selection, because the same colored text must be easily readable on the given background. The readability of the text is more important than this "colored module name text idea", so even though this idea sounds great on paper, perhaps it creates more problems than it solves. Looking at the above pic's color scheme (that I like a lot) I'm not 100% convinced, I think some of the readability of the module name is lost because of this coloring. Someone with more design experience should decide about the actual color sets that could work or decide that this idea should be dropped because of the readability issue.
5. I find the colored preset names very distracting, I think those should be muted and uni-colored (something like the above pic's preset section) .
6. "locator" pointing to current value should be added to the knobs, this I think is essential.

Finally I have to say that I really like this aesthetic direction, in my opinion it's much better than any previous Melda look. Great work, thanks Vojtech and everyone else involved. :party:

1 Try it - in the main Setting > Style configuration window.
2 Could be done, in the Style Editor (and with a graphics editor).
3 What about modules with buttons in the title bar?
4 Cannot be done currently; and you have identified the problem - title bars can be coloured and nor necessarily the same as the Highlights colour. That's why I made them italics and made the line separator more distinct.
5 Hard-coded - the colours were originally significant, but I cannot recall whether that it still the case.
6 Your mock-up shows the locators doesn't it?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

ozonepaul wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 am

+1 for Right.

+1 for Right, in my opinion those are great. I would be 100% satisfied working with those.

Also, I really like these new melda beta 13.03 version knobs (see for example this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3uud0gPNs), those are also knobs that I consider to be functional and at the same time aesthetically pleasing.

I agree with a lot of the previous modification suggestions though (see pics below), here are my 2 cents:

1. I prefer lower-text case for everything apart from headings/module names (Someone mentioned in this thread that one can already select this option in preferences, I need to double check that).
2. I think the outer ring should be slightly thinner.
3. In my opinion the module name text should be centered.
4. Perhaps the module name text should be colored the same as the buttons/knobs of the same module (as on the above pic), though it needs a very careful buttons/knobs color selection, because the same colored text must be easily readable on the given background. The readability of the text is more important than this "colored module name text idea", so even though this idea sounds great on paper, perhaps it creates more problems than it solves. Looking at the above pic's color scheme (that I like a lot) I'm not 100% convinced, I think some of the readability of the module name is lost because of this coloring. Someone with more design experience should decide about the actual color sets that could work or decide that this idea should be dropped because of the readability issue.
5. I find the colored preset names very distracting, I think those should be muted and uni-colored (something like the above pic's preset section) .
6. "locator" pointing to current value should be added to the knobs, this I think is essential.

Finally I have to say that I really like this aesthetic direction, in my opinion it's much better than any previous Melda look. Great work, thanks Vojtech and everyone else involved. :party:
+1

Next question: arrows, triangles or lines?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:12 pm Next question: arrows, triangles or lines?
I prefer simple thin lines 8)

DarkStar wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:12 pm Next question: arrows, triangles or lines?
Definitely lines.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

Definitely lines.

lines

For multi-touch user like myself I would like to see some indication that I am touching the knob.
Perhaps something on the perimeter changes. The center may be covered by the finger?
Most of the time I Prefer vertical action like on a mixer.

Lines.

Return to “MeldaProduction”