Melda GUI improvements

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Left for me; I still don't like the knob ever being uncolored, fwiw…

Left for me, I like the subtle use of the colour.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

DarkStar wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 pm So, another knob style choice to be made: left-hand or right-hand?

I prefer the one on the right, i like separate colours between the knob line and the ring.

I can do white pointers and change them to coloured when you mouse-over the knob or drag it. Or vice versa.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Left. Mouseovers seems a bit OTT.

jmg8 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 am How about something like this?
Hah! Now I understand:
Inspired by ...

I've seen some of those values shown inside knobs in industrial software. It seems to be a well-known approach. That's what the Biotek synth has and I found it very comfortable to work with. It feels natural that the value being modified is shown in the middle of the knob, which is otherwise "empty" space (apart from a line and/or point indication the position - but then are any of these needed when the course of the cursor is shown outside, around the knob itself ?). For that period of time when a parameter is being modified most focus is on the knob itself and having the numeric value in the middle of this focus and not outside onto a side of the knob make the action more aligned. IMHO it's an excellent UI design.

Cheers.
Last edited by mevla on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GNXT wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:39 pm
DarkStar wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 pm So, another knob style choice to be made: left-hand or right-hand?

I prefer the one on the right, i like separate colours between the knob line and the ring.
+1 for the right.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

delete!
Last edited by David on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Umm, that is not a MeldaProduction style - it's in jmg8's own plug-in, from InfinitePlugins.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:44 pm Umm, that is not a MeldaProduction style - it's in jmg8's own plug-in, from InfinitePlugins.
Oops–duh!

DarkStar wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:44 pm Umm, that is not a MeldaProduction style - it's in jmg8's own plug-in, from InfinitePlugins.
I know, obviously it's not a Melda plugin. So ? :D That design of the knobs is certainly not under copyright.

Any better?
Inspired by ...

Personally, I don't like that one, sorry. Reminds me of a gauge.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Why is there absolutely a need to draw a line to show where the outside cursor of the knob's end, the one that actually matters, is located ? Is this backed by physiological/psychological data ? People can't see the external cursor drawn around each knob as it is right now in 13.03a when moving them ?

Moreover the behaviour of this already present cursor, as shown with the Panorama parameter above, physically shows that at 50% it is the center of this parameter. That's hard cash, hard to beat. A line inside a knob will never be able to convey this fact for those +/- parameters as it will always visually mean 50%, half way.

And if I have - and surely I eventually will - a lot of modulations going on, I'd prefer to gaze at a UI where I see only the outside cursor of each knob and not those bars or pointers or whatever inside the knobs. Seeing only the outside cursor moving smoothly enables me to have more of a feeling of the flow of modulations than to see 'jagged' edges.

Why stick to the hardware metaphor when the rest of the UI behaves like something totally uprooted from the physical world, a product of software that pops up a large amount of dialog boxes that are not replicated anywhere in the physical world. Your Jupiter-8, Moog, or Roland D-50 synth will not spring forth out of the hardware panel with a dialog box - can't happen. Why stick to some hardware metaphor ?

My two cents.

Cheers.

Return to “MeldaProduction”