Video on device and GUI design in MSF

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a video I made going over device design and how to set up the GUI. Those that have worked with melda products for a while might know all of this, but those that are just starting with the easy screens might learn a thing or 2. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll try to answer them in the 2nd video that's coming in the future.

https://youtu.be/DSeIL2DOGCM

Good job. A few notes:

- On the easy screen ctrl + alt + click on a control opens the MP. Right click also works to get to the manager for example.

- When changing colors it's best to use the 3rd row of the presets, or value/lightness of 128 (or 127? not sure :) ), otherwise it may actually change the brightness of the control itself and often that looks weird.

- In all modular editors - Alt + click on a module deletes it.

- When deleting stuff it may be better to delete the MPs first, because otherwise when you delete the associated modules, they remap to something (since the parameters of the deleted modules don't exist anymore and so the MP thinks "oh, it was renamed or something??" and attaches it to something else). Then if you'd accidentally touch it, or just leave it there, "something" could be changed and you may not like that :)

- When clicking MP/Mods to learn/manager/.. you can also just right click anywhere in it. And btw another difference between Quick learn and the others is that quick learn sets up the name, group... And with click learn you don't actually need to move the controls, just click on them ;). I actually like Clear & learn myself, exactly because I want to set the name & group myself, but it's probably a matter of preference.

- You mentioned creating your own templates - sure, but not yet :). Well, mostly already, but the problem is, recently a bug has been found - Delay / Sync doesn't really do anything, so I had to fix it and next template will be fine, but yours aren't anymore :). Hopefully this is a rare case and stuff is fine now though.

- 21:19 "tada" :D :D awesome, made my day! :D

- When adding LFO / Env.. modulation you can also just drag & drop the modulation source from the bottom to the modulation button.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

FAN-tastic—At Last (cue Etta J. :) )

Thank you
Last edited by David on Sat May 18, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's my one question from it, also in my comment at YT:

I really didn't get what you did, and what actually got changed, when you re-did the Filter Enable button (apparently to save CPU, with a different sort of Enable…?). It didn't seem any different than when you made it the first time. Thanks…

Awesome videos

Here's a Feature Request for Part 2:

Please show us how to set up…
  • Random buttons and how to aim them at specific MPs/or parameters
  • XY pads
  • and esp. BARS!
Wishlist: a walk through/deconstruction of any of Jason Gibbins's MSF Devices, maybe even an interview with him:)

It would actually deserve a whole set of tutorials, which will it have, but it will take some time :)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

David, we can arrange a Skype call soon, if you like? We can screen share and I will share some tips and tricks and answer your questions.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Excellent, thanks!

Thanks.

In the next video I'll try to mention those shortcuts, so people can save time. I didn't even know about the color stuff or the the alt click deleting.

I'll also show how to make bars and the XY pad. Is there anything else people would like me to show?

Chandlerhimself wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:15 am Thanks.

In the next video I'll try to mention those shortcuts, so people can save time. I didn't even know about the color stuff or the the alt click deleting.

I'll also show how to make bars and the XY pad. Is there anything else people would like me to show?
Advanced Midi routing ie. sending / receiving different channels / note ranges

Chandlerhimself wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:15 am Thanks.

Banks, banks, banks! Can't get enough of watching experts actually use this jaw-dropping feature.

I'd also love to get your take on ways to swipe Easy Screen stuff from existing devices for using in your own experiments.

MeldaProduction wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:50 pm
- You mentioned creating your own templates - sure, but not yet :). Well, mostly already, but the problem is, recently a bug has been found - Delay / Sync doesn't really do anything, so I had to fix it and next template will be fine, but yours aren't anymore :). Hopefully this is a rare case and stuff is fine now though.
What makes a "Template" different from just a Global Preset with an Easy Screen?

Isn't that what Super Saw and Main Template are?

David wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:45 pm
MeldaProduction wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:50 pm
What makes a "Template" different from just a Global Preset with an Easy Screen?

Isn't that what Super Saw and Main Template are?
Yes, but how is it related??? I was merely pointing out that there were problems in the existing template, so if you make a different versions of it, they have the same problems.
Vojtech

Does "creating your own templates" require that you start from either of the supplied ones? I wanted to know if there's any difference between "templates" and GPresets, and if so, what is it? Name only?

From your "Yes,…", I gather there's no functional difference, just problem in those particular GPs, right?

Return to “MeldaProduction”