Vertical sliders?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com

What do you think about vertical sliders?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Yes, I like them
47%
Yes, but use a different design (post in in a reply)
11%
How did you do that?
No votes
No, thank you
42%

Total votes: 19

RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think of these vertical sliders?

Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/4qcr4tV.png

Edit: To avoid confusion, this is NOT an attempt to redesign the GUIs - just using the Style Editor to see what is possible right now, without Vojtech changing a thing. ;)
Last edited by DarkStar on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

The image is really blurry here, for me. I can't really see them. Could you upload with a higher resolution, maybe?
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

The link should take you to the full-size image.

But here's one at 200%; I'm adjusting the Gain so it is brighter:
Inspired by ...

I don't hate it... My concern is that the GUI would just get too big doing this
:dog:

I voted "no thank you" because I can't see a situation in which I would prefer them to a simple knob. But the "how did you do that" selection begged to be picked as well. :)

No problem with vertical sliders for me (but I strongly dislike the orange plus black colors…)

For some Parameters i would prefer the vertical (e.g. Volume, Cutoff, Threshold)... but i must say, i would choose a knob over vertical and horizontal sliders almost all the time.

With the poll you only could choose YES or NO (the other answers aren´t that purposeful)... :clown: :hug:

is it possible to add an answer to the poll: "I prefer them to horizontal slider in some cases"
Everyone knows more than I do...

Vertical sliders aka faders will certainly work with some designs (eg ADSR sliders in the style of analog synths). But here a vertical sliders set next to a horizontal value bar. Not very pleasing to my eyes. Maybe its the vertical alignement of the sliders and the bars. And as Fourstepper wrote, the UI gets larger with this layout.

But I'm not a professional designer.

Masi

Yes x10

Always preferred sliders to rotary controls. Apart from needing less GUI space, always relate those with Vertical Faders, that allow for much finer simultaneous hands-on tuning of whatever parameter you need, which is needed in case of multiple and closely located bars.

A classical need example being for Graphic Equalizers, but not limited, with those widespread and mature/quality external motorized fader surfaces ready to be automated, they could be set for several novel and amazing uses. Like fast hands-on controlling (that could be later finely corrected) of amplitude per selected freq ranges in Spectral effects/instruments. Something that would bring the classic "riding the faders" a step closer to the Spectral side in which Melda excels.

Apart from track volumes, EQs or spectral goodies, comes to mind messing with Melodyne's V4 creative formants, and I have yet to check what the ARA connection protocol allows.

Thankfully, apart from all the impressive creativity coming out of the Software side at all levels; plugins, effects, virtual instruments, modelling, algorithms, DAWs, connecting protocols, etc. computing capacities have been also promising advances, so it wouldn't seem too far to think of some the above expressed, as accessible for real time uses... or wise to leave open doors for novel ones.

+1 masitito. I agree with his comments. Ideally somehow the label and value could be integrated into the vertical slider so as to save GUI space.

I think I have sent you off down the wrong track. I should say that this is NOT an attempt to redesign the GUIs - just using the Style Editor to see what is possible right now, without Vojtech changing a thing. ;) I've edited the first post to clarify.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm I think I have sent you off down the wrong track.
No problem at all. The question is good anyways: "What do you think about vertical sliders?".

I took the chance to bring what the results -so far- seem to be validating; that most users here are generally more familiar to GUI controls related to keyboard style, rotary analogue gear or possibly push button MIDI controllers. So a call for sliders, be it an improvement on actual or potential GUI is very welcomed and I immediately think on their associated hardware control and the rest of the dream setup.

Hope it gets perceived as complementing ideas, rather than being off topic.

XComposer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:13 pm No problem with vertical sliders for me (but I strongly dislike the orange plus black colors…)
Blasphemy! :o

:D :hihi:
I can do nothing, I really dislike these colors together (and orange, in particular, I find it "aggressive" and not natural). I would never use a UI with them (of course, no problems if others do!). I saw that sort of style for the first time on Ableton Live, a software which I never liked for the user interfaces, sorry. :wink: I'm presently using the brown "wood" interface with knobs and a warm rather dark green as secondary color, for Melda plug-ins. I probably have very "classic" tastes for this! But let's return to vertical sliders…

You're right, back to vert sliders and DarkStar's question: Imho the background of the sliders distract the eye but I see the need of somehow displaying their range. The pin/needle idea is not bad, though. Other than that there are certain cases when vert sliders do make sense (see other member's comments about it).

Return to “MeldaProduction”