MSF vs Kaleidoscope

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone on the beta testing team also tried Kaleidoscope? How do they compare? Should I add Kaleidoscope to my arsenal or will waiting on MSF make it unnecessary?

Are you talking about this: https://www.2caudio.com/products/kaleidoscope ?

Seems to be a quite specialized effect with an interesting approach to UI.

Masi

I'm not a beta tester so I don't know MSF, but Kaleidoscope is unique in my opinion. I use it a lot.

That's the one. I am especially intrigued by the idea of using physical modeling as filter sources.

Could you please explain this concept better? I'm interested myself in the idea and I was reflecting on it in these days.

Although they call it Resonance, I believe that the Kaleidoscope page explains it better than I could.
https://www.2caudio.com/products/kaleid ... _Resonance

Oh, I see, you mean the different kinds of resonators, yes. The beautiful and most important thing there is that you can control a huge number of them with images…

No, I was thinking to use "physical modeling as filter" with a different approach for one of my next pieces, something that has more to do with the source-filter model for sounds (see IRCAM TRAX Source Filter, for example) and may have to do with the "Special -> Objects" section of MTurboReverb, or also with MConvolution for example.

I've seen some interesting youtube videos doing that basic idea with convolution. (A long time ago, I don't recall specifics.)
Fun stuff, so long as you don't set your heart on achieving exactly what you think will happen!

Yes, you are right. As I am saying in another post right now (about MTurboReverb), I would like to explore "the possibility of loosely imagine to model my own "fantasy" non-existing impossible virtual instruments (including type of source exciter, shapes, sizes and materials) with the help of various softwares I have (by using them together)".

I did not know about Kaleidoscope so I tried the demo. It registers in Bitwig as an audio processor, not as an instrument. Since this is a comparison between MSF and K, does that mean that MSF will also be an audio processor ? How can it be since there's already MXXX ?

Cheers.

I wasn't (and still am not) very informed or knowledgeable on Kaleidoscope, which was why I was asking. I had initially misread the literature and thought that there was also a generator. I'm not a beta tester here, so I only know whatever is mentioned about MSF. The talk of having sampling abilities would mean that we could use it as a processor, no?

I am really interested in physical modeling. I have been doing a lot of experimenting in MSF, so much fun.
BTW I made the MTurboReverb device "Objects"
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Naive question… will something like "make a natural trumpet in bronze, with this thickness, shape and diameter, 3 meters long, with an oval 10 centimeters glass bell" be possible in MSF?"

I really enjoy that one jmg...and still wish that you had the time to do video exposés on some of your presets.
Are those materials from MRotary cabinets being run through IRs?

EDIT: Just noticed the other thread, ignore this.

Thanks werzel.

Xcomposer.
Yes and no. MSF is already quite capable of physically modelling almost anything. However it has to be done manually, it can be tricky, with trial and error.
I recently made a piano in MSF that models the cabinet, soundboard, strings, mallets and dampers. It is all approximate though, the sound designer can not simply input 10 meters of steel and have it sound that way. You have to try to create the sound yourself.
I will share some physical modelling tips and tricks here on the forum soon to help inspire some cool new instruments.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Return to “MeldaProduction”