MSoundFactory concept & template round #3

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Exactly! I'd avoid global FX bypass now. It would be sometimes rather difficult to implement, hence poor sound designers :)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I finally got back to my studio from abroad.
I need some effort to understand everything,,,,
Nori Ubukata

I want to re-raise an issue I brought up before and saw no response.

The more I think about it, it will be a *major* annoyance if the Generator tab does not have a volume knob. This is true to a lesser extent with the FX tab. But in tweaking timbre parameters, the volume can change dramatically. If a user has to continually switch tabs when tweaking timbre, it will be more than a little frustrating. Of all the parameters, Volume is truly universal and belongs immediately accessible everywhere, IMO.

I just did an experiment, and it's not difficult to have two or more MPs mutually controlling each other while one of them is the master that controls a target parameter. While this could be a solution to the where-does-the-volume-control-go dilemma, that solution is a bit extra work and would probably be frequently overlooked as a design standard.

dmbaer - I imagine most preset designers will add volume knobs in multiple places or add one at the end if they feel its necessary. If there are OSC, filter, compression, saturation, etc volume controls, do you really need to add 1 more on the front page. Of course some people may not add volume knobs, for those individual things, but IMO this should be up to the designers. Hopefully when people are making presets they'll realize if there is a work flow problem.

Has anyone found any new updates in the latest release? I noticed that a few more modulators were added to the bottom of the screen on the generator screen. I was also happy to find the arp available on the bottom right now, so it will able to be used in MSF LE. Bypass is also working on generator modules now(it might have been added in the last update). Is there anything else I missed?

Is there anything else that needs to be decided before we start making presets?

I actually don't remember all the changes, I don't really log it for now, but I'll probably start soon.

As for the global Volume - that could be worth a poll. To be honest, I never actually used volume in an instrument, I always end up with the volumes in the mixer in the daw...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Melda effects tab.jpg
Melda effects tab.jpg (255 KB)

Here's my take on the effects panel. I rearranged some parts, merged one row of blocks into one. Why not have a one knob compressor, transient shaper and stereo field, saving space.

An eq is vital. Make it a simple graphical one. It's worth the real estate in my opinion.

I'd like to see an edit button on each of the blocks opening up the appropriate melda plugin, like mturbo verb etc, but preserving the settings.

I love the collapsible panel of effects. This is a good idea.

Also note on the eq I swiped from Spire, how they conserve a lot of real estate by putting the work EQ embedded within the block that doesn't require a lot of wasted spaced.

30 percent of the plugin is wasted space to make room for labels, a big no no imo opinion.

I hope this is helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

nvm
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

MeldaProduction wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:12 pm As for the global Volume - that could be worth a poll.
If there's a poll, what are the choices? I would suggest including one that has the top three controls in the global tab moved to an always-visible top band (above the tabs). We don't really need the velocity controls there, but since there's room, why waste it?

This choice would almost certainly get my vote in the poll.

Ideas Generator Main.jpg
Beefed things up. This is supposed to be a powerhouse synth/sampler/workstation right? Then we need to import samples, wavetables, granular. We need room. Minimize the real estate at all cost. We need filters on this main page two and envelopes (mseg or adsr).

This is a power mega statation right? We need 8 layers. Anything else, I wouldn't be too impressed for sound design capabilites. 3 osc are of course enough, think sylenth, but I'm a fan for more power when at all possible.

Also, no need at all to differentiate a sub osc or a high osc :dog: Make them all equally prevalent in a 3 osc layout per layer, with parallel and series filter options. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:31 pm Ideas Generator Main.jpg

Beefed things up. This is supposed to be a powerhouse synth/sampler/workstation right? Then we need to import samples, wavetables, granular. We need room. Minimize the real estate at all cost. We need filters on this main page two and envelopes (mseg or adsr).

This is a power mega statation right? We need 8 layers. Anything else, I wouldn't be too impressed for sound design capabilites. 3 osc are of course enough, think sylenth, but I'm a fan for more power when at all possible.

Also, no need at all to differentiate a sub osc or a high osc :dog: Make them all equally prevalent in a 3 osc layout per layer, with parallel and series filter options. :tu:

The easy screen can have filters and and envelopes , but there aren’t any visualizations unfortunately. If we can get that it would be great, but I doubt we’ll get it. The easy screen is limited and doesn’t expose the full power of the synth. The synth itself could have 30 oscs or filters if you wanted, but the easy screen is more limited and used to do something specific or speed up your workflow. Also MSF is modular, so there aren’t really layers, although I guess you could make them on the easy screen if you wanted. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like wavetables and samples will be loadable from the easy screen.

dmbaer: Could you make a poll here? I'm personally agains that, I like the volume hidden imho, so I'll probably vote against, but you know, we'll see what would others choose ;)

touch the universe: See email ;).
Vojtech

I would also vote against this.
I dont really use the volume much on a synth. But if I did need it, I do not think it is a big dealy to click the "Globals" tab to get to it. That is literally 1 click away. If it were to be always visable (above the tabs) then it would be taking up valuble screen space.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Can anyone name a synth that does not have the volume control (knob or slider) immediately accessible all the time? Maybe there is one, but I certainly cannot think of a single one. There are well over 100 commercial synths available - probably closer to 200 at this point in time. What percentage of them have no immediately accessible volume control?

And, jmg8, I disagree that it's "no big deal" to click the Globals tab to change the volume. When tweaking parameters that affect the timbre, you can be going to the volume control to make adjustments frequently in some cases. Having to constantly switch tabs will be more than a bit frustrating IMO.

Vojtech made the argument that it's easier to just adjust the channel fader in your DAW. But what about live players? What about users engaged in sound design? Plus, for users with small screens, going to the DAW fader will mean getting the MSF panel out of the way. That would be worse than having to continually switch tabs.

Wrong thread, sorry.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

dmbaer, I don't know really... we'll need to make a poll. Please make one, you will probably be the way to justify the "pros" :), I'd make it the other way around :D. You mentioned live players - I mean live players usually know what they will be doing, so usually using presets etc. I doubt many of them are actually doing sound design on stage. And if so, they have controllers, so they can easily map the volume.
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”