FR: MDrummer loop editor really needs an undo or something

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a long-time user (read addict) of all the Melda products - in fact I barely use anything else. I love the workflow, endless possibilities and precise control you get with all the plugins.

The one product that I have been trying to get to grips with over the years and until now have failed to, is MDrummer. This time I've finally got to grips with it and have been using it in all my projects recently (mainly thanks to the videos Chandler made).

Although I think it's great, I feel there are some things it lacks when compared to the other Melda products, such as modulators.

But there is one thing that I find a major problem and despite using MDrummer a lot over the last few months, I still fall prey to it, and that is how easy it is to irrevocably lose your work in the Loop Editor. There are many ways this can happen and it would easily be resolved by providing an undo function.

Here's an example: you've created a beat, you select all the notes so you can manually adjust the velocity for all of them, go away, come back and decide to delete a note, so you click the Eraser tool and click a note to delete it, but beacause all the notes were all highlighted and you hadn't noticed, they all disappear. No way back, all notes are gone.

Here's another: You go to a loop, try to marquee-select a bunch of the notes, thinking you have Selector tool selected, but accidentally have the Pencil tool selected instead. You've now just drawn all over the beat. No way back, the original beat is now swamped behind a load of new notes. Could easily do the reverse with the Eraser tool selected by mistake and lose all your notes.

Another example: Just now I inexplicably hit the trash button to delete a selected note (I'm tired!) which deleted the entire beat!

Anyway, enough examples. I've made all these user errors before and many others like them depsite using it daily for months. Basically, in a very easy false move, you can lose 15 minutes work (which may be impossible to restore) in 1 second. That's not good. I think the examples highlight some significant UX issues with the Loop Editor and its tools, but they could all be resolved with an undo function. Even if it's completely separate to the main undo.

Sure, it might just be me being an idiot and perhaps after a year of using it, I'll stop making these mistakes, but I'm an experienced user of Melda products and think it's things like this that made the learning curve of MDrummer so steep for me. I have never had problems like this with the other Melda products.

I beg you to look into this, it's driving me nuts!

Cheers

Thanks for the shout out. I’d also like to have this feature. I’ve erased whole beats before when forgetting I have everything highlighted. Sometimes the back button seems to work, but other times it doesn’t.

I want to make more videos about MDrummer, but I’ve been waiting for the new drum packs. When they’re released I’ll make a few more videos.

No problem, I look forward to seeing more videos. I’m sure others will find them very helpful.

I’m glad to hear it’s not just me accidentally deleting beats!

Same, overall the undo function doesn't work as well in MDrummer as in other plugs in my opinion... I sometimes delete the whole patch with the undo on accident :(
:dog:

Sadly, I agree :D. Unfortunately it's not a simple loop player and things can get very very tricky here... I simply don't have the dev time needed for this to happen. It's in the todo list though, but no idea when/if it will ever happen...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”