The first MSoundFactory active preset ROUND 2 :)

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Averaging is one way to go about it. The best way I'd suspect is to actually start making presets with it to see what I'm using most. I suspect, for the most, part, much of the power would be sealed, baring the occasional oddity experiment.

From a sound designers point of view, the number one most important thing is workflow. It has to import multisamples effortlessly to get me excited by it. From this I mean, it must read any embedded tag information in the wave file which denotes its key range, velocity etc. If this part isn't easy, it being a sampler is mute. I suspect this will be a none issue with melda, but just thought I mention this right off the bat, template presets are secondary to this bit.

I like the idea of a complex, standalone type of synth, especially if presets can be embedded within it. I click the synth, then there is a menu within this synth of the available presets. This would be much like a kontakt instrument.

Chandler - What feature did you need to replace? The whole point of getting others to start making presets then comparing is still a good idea I think. What if I make a preset and I used the same feature, then others did too. Then it would be a good idea to go with that feature, no?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

MeldaProduction wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:18 pm Good point Chandler (out of topic, but still :D ). Btw. would you mind trying to write the complete list of genres you'd include?
Yeah it was kind of out of nowhere, but I figured this was the best place to post it. I’d include

Acoustic
Rock
Orchestral
Pop
Funk-Fusion
Cinematic
Classic EDM
Modern EDM
World
Hiphop
Experimental
Jazz-Blues
Ambient
Industrial

You might want to remove jazz-blues, industrial, funk-fusion and Industrial. Some of those could fit in other categories if you need space. I included cinematic because although its not one of the most popular music genres, its really popular in the sampler/synth world.

I’m interested in other people’s opinions about genres. EDM is probably the most popular genre for synthesis, but there are too many genres. As Whywhy said tags would probably work better. Have things labeled as “Futurebass pad”, “Dubstep snare”, etc. Those are my thoughts for now. I’ll look at some other synths and see if they have some better genre classification.

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:17 am Averaging is one way to go about it. The best way I'd suspect is to actually start making presets with it to see what I'm using most. I suspect, for the most, part, much of the power would be sealed, baring the occasional oddity experiment.

From a sound designers point of view, the number one most important thing is workflow. It has to import multisamples effortlessly to get me excited by it. From this I mean, it must read any embedded tag information in the wave file which denotes its key range, velocity etc. If this part isn't easy, it being a sampler is mute. I suspect this will be a none issue with melda, but just thought I mention this right off the bat, template presets are secondary to this bit.

I like the idea of a complex, standalone type of synth, especially if presets can be embedded within it. I click the synth, then there is a menu within this synth of the available presets. This would be much like a kontakt instrument.

Chandler - What feature did you need to replace? The whole point of getting others to start making presets then comparing is still a good idea I think. What if I make a preset and I used the same feature, then others did too. Then it would be a good idea to go with that feature, no?
It doesn’t have multisamples yet, so we don’t really have to worry about that. I’m sure it will get it in the future, but for now it is only synthesis.

I like the idea of presets inside these standalone style instruments and it looks like we’ll get that in the near future.

Its not so much about features, its about the layout and controls. There is going to be some standard for all the presets, so if my presets are different from that standard, I’ll have to go back and adjust them.

Without the breakdown within EDM genres, the younger crowd will see this as yet another behind the times synth. Unless user-created subcategories are possible.
Personally, I would prefer an architecture that I could customize to my own purposes. Otherwise, synths like Synthmaster seem to have the most comprehensive breakdown of categories and subcategories.

I second user created subcategories :tu:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Ok, so now there is a bit of a disagreement with the proposed changes of categorization. We may potentially include both, the specific genres and EDM imho. I'll try to layout something for the next beta.

As for multisampling - we'll get to that at one point. As of now I'm no expert in the field, so I don't really know anything about the tags etc. Personally I see separate WAVes like a bit outdated technology :). For MDrummer Studio 2018 I was like "ok, I can either cut 100.000 samples manually (which I won't) or make a generator for that" :). Anyways does anyone know about some article about these things?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

If there are user created categories, that would be great. Problem solved.

Chandlerhimself wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 am Acoustic
Rock
Orchestral
Pop
Funk-Fusion
Cinematic
Classic EDM
Modern EDM
World
Hiphop
Experimental
Jazz-Blues
Ambient
Industrial
I find it nearly impossible to categorize music in so few genres. I would not see the point for "Orchestral" and "Cinematic". I'd rather call it "Classic" and "Cinematic", if at all.

Since the beginning of the year I was coding a work / piece register for all of my works. There I also had the problem to come up with precise genres. So I decided to use genre and subgenre in combination. Maybe this would be an option, too?

Just in case (and my genres + subgenres might not be perfect as well, hehe).

Genres
Electro
Folk
Funk
Jazz
Classic
Songwriting
Pop
Rock
Soundtrack

Subgenres
8 Bit
Acid Jazz
Acoustic
Ambient
Atmo
Big Beat
Blues
Bossa
Breakbeat
Cinematic Electro
Classic Soundtrack
Classical
Combo
Crossover
Dixieland
Dubstep
Electro Funk
Electro Swing
Experimental
Fusion
Glitch
Gypsy
Hard Rock
Hip Hop
House
IDM
Industrial
Jazzfunk
Chamber music
Kids
Lounge
Metal
Minimal
Modern Soundtrack
Progressive Rock
Ragtime
Rock
Soft Rock
Swing
Synth-Pop
Techno
Trance
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

Tagirijus wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 am
I find it nearly impossible to categorize music in so few genres.
Subgenres
8 Bit
Acid Jazz
Acoustic
Ambient
Sorry, but this Subgenere List isn´t complete at all... not that I say it is possible nor it would make much sense to complete it. I would avoid the subgenre attempt at all...
because what are the criteria to be in such a list... relevance? for example Dupstep, House and Trance all have several distinctive sub-sub-genres (Psytrance, BassHouse,...) that are much more relevant than Ragtime (love it by the way)...
My opinion is, that there are no genres... Genres are only for the "naive" listener to find the musical style they like to hear, without thinking to much in to complex musical terminology... a musician on the other hand thinks in time, frequency/timbre and amplitude... it´s only a summary of timebased frequencies which change in timbre and loudness (or sth like that :hihi: )...
so why not use "musical terminology" which relates to such values... try to find a discription for those 3 or 4 buildingblocks of a sound... for example the classics :-): Stabs, Pads, Spheres, Leads, Sweeps, swells, Plucks, Bowed, Impact, rattling, sequenced...
for me personal when i´m creating a track and I need a sound I hardly think." uhh, now i need an edm-cine-sound... i rather think in very simple musical analogies: "now i need this big impact sound with low frequencies..."

But the already given options in MSF would work for me fine... it shouldn´t get much more complex than that... just my 2 cents...
Last edited by operator on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Everyone knows more than I do...

Chandlerhimself wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 am
MeldaProduction wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:18 pm Good point Chandler (out of topic, but still :D ). Btw. would you mind trying to write the complete list of genres you'd include?
Yeah it was kind of out of nowhere, but I figured this was the best place to post it. I’d include

Acoustic
Rock
Orchestral
Pop
Funk-Fusion
Cinematic
Classic EDM
Modern EDM
World
Hiphop
Experimental
Jazz-Blues
Ambient
Industrial

You might want to remove jazz-blues, industrial, funk-fusion and Industrial. Some of those could fit in other categories if you need space. I included cinematic because although its not one of the most popular music genres, its really popular in the sampler/synth world.

I’m interested in other people’s opinions about genres. EDM is probably the most popular genre for synthesis, but there are too many genres. As Whywhy said tags would probably work better. Have things labeled as “Futurebass pad”, “Dubstep snare”, etc. Those are my thoughts for now. I’ll look at some other synths and see if they have some better genre classification.
No classical?
Jazz and blues are really 2 things
Cinematic is meaningless

operator wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 am
Tagirijus wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 am
I find it nearly impossible to categorize music in so few genres.
Subgenres
8 Bit
Acid Jazz
Acoustic
Ambient
Sorry, but this Subgenere List isn´t complete at all... not that I say it is possible nor it would make much sense to complete it. I would avoid the subgenre attempt at all...
because what are the criteria to be in such a list... relevance? for example Dupstep, House and Trance all have several distinctive sub-sub-genres (Psytrance, BassHouse,...) that are much more relevant than Ragtime (love it by the way)...
My opinion is, that there are no genres... Genres are only for the "naive" listener to find the musical style they like to hear, without thinking to much in to complex musical terminology... a musician on the other hand thinks in time, frequency/timbre and amplitude... it´s only a summary of timebased frequencies which change in timbre and loudness (or sth like that :hihi: )...
so why not use "musical terminology" which relates to such values... try to find a discription for those 3 or 4 buildingblocks of a sound... for example the classics :-): Stabs, Pads, Spheres, Leads, Sweeps, swells, Plucks, Bowed, Impact, rattling, sequenced...
for me personal when i´m creating a track and I need a sound I hardly think." uhh, now i need an edm-cine-sound... i rather think in very simple musical analogies: "now i need this big impact sound with low frequencies..."

But the already given options in MSF would work for me fine... it shouldn´t get much more complex than that... just my 2 cents...
Completely agree, I would also like to avoid genres altogether.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

I understand and agree that it isn't complete, but you have to remember that people actually have to look at and scroll through this list. Music has hundreds of genres, but if there are that many choices it makes choosing a genre more troublesome than typing a tag. Also some genres that are popular might not have much use for MSF. Jazz and Blues are popular, but I doubt there will be many MSF instruments mad for them. On top of that I imagine many of the blues and jazz patches will the same. If we can have user genre categories that would be the best solution. Perhaps have some restriction for the initial presets, but allow 3rd party preset makers to do whatever they want.

Chandlerhimself wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 am Also some genres that are popular might not have much use for MSF. Jazz and Blues are popular, but I doubt there will be many MSF instruments mad for them. On top of that I imagine many of the blues and jazz patches will the same. If we can have user genre categories that would be the best solution.
But don´t forget that all other genres could benfit of such jazz and blues patches if they weren´t in a location where they hardly look into... in design nowadays it´s all about user centered design and solve problems in such fashion... so you agree that this method (subgenres) wouldn´t fit for most users if there is a folder which is hardly used... subjectivly i think / feel that i´m not the only one who doesn´t differentiate between a plucked bassguitar, a plucked contrabass or a similar Plucked FM-Bass in an user scenario where just a specific low energy pluck is needed.. the song wouldn´t allow for much space anyway... for me as a Producer my user centered problem in this case is to find a fitting soundstructure similar to the one i have in my mind/imagination/thoughts... and then such terminology of genres are just in the way of finding the best possible solution (because maybe the dreamy bluesguitar pluck is used in my next psytrance break or as lead in the next Synthwave track...)

Instead characteristics which describes the sound would help me a lot in this case (Time, Timbre, Frequency, Amplitude)...
Everyone knows more than I do...

jmg8 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 am Completely agree, I would also like to avoid genres altogether.
Complete agreement here as well.

operator wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:25 pm But don´t forget that all other genres could benfit of such jazz and blues patches if they weren´t in a location where they hardly look into... in design nowadays it´s all about user centered design and solve problems in such fashion... so you agree that this method (subgenres) wouldn´t fit for most users if there is a folder which is hardly used... subjectivly i think / feel that i´m not the only one who doesn´t differentiate between a plucked bassguitar, a plucked contrabass or a similar Plucked FM-Bass in an user scenario where just a specific low energy pluck is needed.. the song wouldn´t allow for much space anyway... for me as a Producer my user centered problem in this case is to find a fitting soundstructure similar to the one i have in my mind/imagination/thoughts... and then such terminology of genres are just in the way of finding the best possible solution (because maybe the dreamy bluesguitar pluck is used in my next psytrance break or as lead in the next Synthwave track...)

Instead characteristics which describes the sound would help me a lot in this case (Time, Timbre, Frequency, Amplitude)...
I think you’re misunderstanding how the presets are sorted. They aren’t in genre folders, they are in categories such as pluck, pad, lead, bass, percussion, etc. The genre is for tagging.

For example someone would click on bass and perhaps 200 presets would be shown. Then they could then select blues-jazz and that number could be sorted down to 6 presets that have been tagged with blues-jazz. They could also just click blues-jazz by itself and it would sort all the MSF presets and show only ones useful for blues-jazz instead of the 1000 or so available.

Also keep in mind that there are other tags besides genre, so if you don’t want to use the genre tags just don’t click them. Tags describing timbre, articulation, etc are already available.

It will just make things easier to find and for those that don’t want to use it they can just avoid it.

Return to “MeldaProduction”