live looping & sampling...

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OMG,
I just realised, that Vojtech would be one of the few people who could do this RIGHT:

If he would build some loop-& samplemodules for MSF this would be killer.
Since years I'm searching for a better suited solution for looping than (32bit !!) Mobius from Circular Labs. It's such a great Looper, but I'd like to have it more integrated as VST & like to see it in developement :-(.

BUT if there were some simple looper/sampling tools in MSF ... wow.
I'd like to control a looper via midi-footswitch, so first, most important thing I need would be a module that can be triggered to record and then loop the recorded sounds. O.k. so sfar so simple, I don't even need overdubbing, I'd like to keep different loops on different tracks, so the first recorded clip (like in Abletons looper) should be able to give the time&tempo-basis for all the other loops. On the first clip (for me it has to be stereo, because I love stereo effects being recorded and not added after recording in a looper) I'd record a beatbox-beat, one measure, then on a second module a bassline for lets say 2 measures, then a guitar on the next with 4 measures and all these loops should synchronize in the beginning, (so they would be time multiples of the first loop )... etc. It would be simply awesome when that looper could send the tempo information to reaper or ableton or whatever...
detected (just measure the length of the loop and calculate tempo).

it then could be easily done to create keyboard playable samples as well in the same basic modules...(one module per sample).

I'd like to create a songs structure as well, so changing samples/layers in the slots per midi command would be fantastic...

This sounds complex, but with the basic modular structure of MSF this would completely blow mind and maybe would'nt be too difficult, because all the basic things are allready there !!!!

What do you think?

with best regards

Martin

Isn't that covered in part by Bitwig's scenes and clips and perhaps non-intuitively set in motion by a grid interface such as a Launchpad ?

I agree, a multitrack/multipart synced MLiveLooper that would replace the sadly abandoned Mobius could be great! There is an open niche for such a product especially on windows.

mevla wrote:Isn't that covered in part by Bitwig's scenes and clips and perhaps non-intuitively set in motion by a grid interface such as a Launchpad ?
No, Bitwig so far does not 'detect' tempo from length of recorded clip. So I have allways to use a metronome. They said a looper thing will come somewhere, but it isn't there so far.

I can do it with the looper in Ableton, but would be too difficult to explain, why it's far from an easy workflow for MY WORKFLOW. In short I have to use 2 banks on my footcontroller, one for the Ableton looper, the other one for the clips, that isn't so great.

mccy wrote:No, Bitwig so far does not 'detect' tempo from length of recorded clip. So I have allways to use a metronome. They said a looper thing will come somewhere, but it isn't there so far.
Disclaimer: it seems that I do not really know what are the capabilities of a live looper.

This said, from the online lessons (youtube) from Brian Bollman I've followed during version 1.x, especially his DJ techniques, Bitwig will put up a BPM value on an audio clip. Just tried it now and it accurately put the tempo of some drum loops. Now, that value might be embedded in the clips, or it might simply have been taken from the file name, I do not know. I have tried with a sampled pad file that has no BPM value in its name and still Bitwig came up with a BPM value for that audio clip.

Whether this has anything to do with what a 'live looper' is doing is something else though.

When I loop live, I play Instruments and record them on the fly while playing while controlling all computer processes involved for recording and structure by a midi footswitch.
So the first sample I record sets the basic tempo for all that is coming afterwards... Although of course even after that I can use tap tempo to change tempo.

This is something very different from what you do when you use prerecorded material which is arranged live. Both is live looping, yes :-), but I am talking about extended abilities on the basis of a classic BOSS looping pedal (or ultraclassic echolette kr frippertronic). Mobius Flexibility in MiDi remote, scripting etc is still fantastic...

Btw I own a Mac since 3weeks so what is getting close to mobius on a mac?

I've read mention of this as a relatively well developed mac looper. I'm on pc, so I have no experience with it.
http://logelloop.com/

Thank you, that looks interesting!

Tested it. I see no benifit compared to Mobius. It is so cool, that mobius is a VST, so I can use all the host infrastructur for effects etc. ...

I took a quick look at the Mobius looper. Very quick. That's quite a beast to learn. I mean, one must really get involved with learning it in order to get the most flexibility out of it. Which is nice, I have nothing against that. But it certainly seems to ask for quite a lot. So one must see the benefits of using a looper before hand, eg. have a purpose.

This said, the Mobius web site mentions that they have an AU version for OS X. But then, I know just about nothing about Macs. 8)

Cheers.

Yeah, Mobius is fantastic! I worked quite a lot with it and it is the best looper I tried so far, but it is 32bit only and it showed some graphic problems on recent OSs :-(

I actually wanted to do that for a long time, just didn't have time for it yet :), hopefully one day :)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Thanks for your response :love: I just knew, you would be THE person for that job, because in your tools you open up possibilities and don't focus too much on a specific usage. You have that wide view & understanding of things. + you just do highly optimized algos & if there is one thing in live loopers which is a show stopper then it is a slow interface or a sluggish response.

mevla wrote:
mccy wrote:No, Bitwig so far does not 'detect' tempo from length of recorded clip. So I have allways to use a metronome. They said a looper thing will come somewhere, but it isn't there so far.
Disclaimer: it seems that I do not really know what are the capabilities of a live looper.

This said, from the online lessons (youtube) from Brian Bollman I've followed during version 1.x, especially his DJ techniques, Bitwig will put up a BPM value on an audio clip. Just tried it now and it accurately put the tempo of some drum loops. Now, that value might be embedded in the clips, or it might simply have been taken from the file name, I do not know. I have tried with a sampled pad file that has no BPM value in its name and still Bitwig came up with a BPM value for that audio clip.

Whether this has anything to do with what a 'live looper' is doing is something else though.
Man, maybe I didn't listen to you right... I will try again today... Thank you anyway!

EDIT: Hm, so far this doesn't work after recording the first clip. I asked in the bitwig forum about that problem...

Well, now that we have that really nice sampler in msf, maybe it would be not that hard to implement that one ? :wink:
I can't imagine how Real time looper/sampler would just be killer in MXXX...
I know dev time is limited but I really hope you'll come to this Vojtech!...:hyper:

Return to “MeldaProduction”