MCharacter: imposing the harmonics from an auxiliary sample

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jmg8 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 pm I still don't get it! Haha sorry.

Forget about frequency information. Let's just talk broadband. What is the difference between phatik and a level follower?

Phatik measures the input and the output and "matches" them.
But as far as I understand that is also what a level follower would do. So I am missing something.
Ha ha, yeah it's hard to explain without drawing graphs.

Mmorph is like mphatik but set to 'no boost mode' or 'attenuation only mode', sorry can't remember the exact name as in on vacation! I'm asking for the mode that does boosts as well as attenuation.

Sorry xcomposer for derailing!

EDIT it's 'matching (no boost)', where I'm hoping for 'matching'

This probably won't help, but you could first use MAutodynamic EQ's spectrum match first (makes eq curve of track "A" match that of track "B")
Then fiddle with MCharater until you get close.
Just an idea.

sirmonkey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 am This probably won't help, but you could first use MAutodynamic EQ's spectrum match first (makes eq curve of track "A" match that of track "B")
Then fiddle with MCharater until you get close.
Just an idea.
Yes, I can do it and I actually do it (I use MAutoDynamicEQ a lot and I love it). What I am suggesting is an automatic "spectrum grab" feature in MCharacter, precisely to avoid "fiddling". You select one note (or one single waveform) and the software grabs the spectrum from it. That's all.

(Then, one can use the pitch tracking "spectrum apply" feature, which MCharacter already has.)

Have you checked melodyne 4 studio? There is a function there related to what you are asking about. Sorry I don't have a chance to point you to a specific video right now, but just search for overtones and melodyne 4.

Yes, thank you. I don't have it, but I read about it and my question was born exactly because I was wondering how to replicate that feature by using only Melda plug-ins.

Hmmm, spectrum grab, will think about it.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:10 pm Hmmm, spectrum grab, will think about it.
:tu: :party:

I would love to have that feature in Melda too,
But right now I think Melodyne 4 studio is the only product on the market that offers this feature...

Actually this feature is already there in MPowerSynth, it can analyze samples to get the overtone structure for an oscillator. So it just needs to be hooked up to MCharacter it seems :-) Would indeed be a very cool feature!

XComposer wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:55 am Yes, thank you. I don't have it, but I read about it and my question was born exactly because I was wondering how to replicate that feature by using only Melda plug-ins.
This? https://youtu.be/_IF_wF0aGJo?t=252

No, I didn't see this video, which is interesting, anyway.
I was just thinking about this feature as another additional alternative way for me to obtain (static) timbral hybrids between different sound sources (in my music, I always use a lot of timbral hybrids obtained in a lot of different ways: morphing, vocoders, resonators, image filters, etc.) (think of a "clarinet/oboe" obtained by partly imposing the spectral features of a clarinet on an oboe, for instance). This would be very useful, in my case.

This video, however, gives an idea, especially after minute 20 [Edit: even better, from 4'12" to 6'20"]. What I would like is to do with MCharacter something similar to what he does after minute 20 [Edit: even better, from 4'12" to 6'20"], by choosing among different presets, but I would like to have many more presets like "make more similar to a clarinet", "make more similar to a cello", "more similar to a child voice" and so on. Moreover: I would like to be able to build my own presets by extracting the spectral features from real samples of my own.
Last edited by XComposer on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pumafred wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:33 pm This? https://youtu.be/_IF_wF0aGJo?t=252
:eek: Wow this guy knows his stuff. I recently bought Meldyne and it's just beautiful. The shown feature is unique and keeps the naturality. I used it to revert a vocal with a phaser rendered into it :love:

XComposer wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:46 pm No, I didn't see this video, which is interesting, anyway.
I was just thinking about this feature as another additional alternative way for me to obtain (static) timbral hybrids between different sound sources (in my music, I always use a lot of timbral hybrids obtained in a lot of different ways: morphing, vocoders, resonators, image filters, etc.) (think of a "clarinet/oboe" obtained by partly imposing the spectral features of a clarinet on an oboe, for instance). This would be very useful, in my case.
The position of the YouTube video that I marked in the link is precisely where he exemplifies how to impose the spectral features of a clarinet on a saxophone, no?

Again, just to clarify, I own all Melda plugins, so this is not an ad for Melodyne (IMO a great product), but part of a discussion about how, if at all, we can do this kind of stuff with Melda plugins.

Oh, sorry, yes! I modified my comment above to give a better idea. Yes, the key part is rather from 4'12" to 6'20". Wonderful! Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Thank you!

Return to “MeldaProduction”