MSoundFactory Wishlist

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Vojtech.

I hope this is still a topic. I am fiddling with MSF for months now and here is my wishlist...I want to state first that I love this modular monster and I think it was a great step to say "no more further synths from Melda but therefore new modules for MSF" :)

- I wish some more juicy and organical sounding filters. They all sound a bit digital and remind me strongly on my years old KORG Trinity filters.

- A more smooth filter frequency behavoir. At the moment there are strong peaks and more stepwise sounding results while sweeping.

- MOST IMPORTANT for NOW: a Mod-Matrix. It´s so hard to work with MSF when you modulate many parameters (which I always do) and have the modulators all up in seperate windows. Could be in one window with different tiles or in general via a matrix. The actual state (concerning all modulatable Melda-plugins) is very annoying to work with concerning that matter.
I personally know this annoys other (very important) members of the community too and this really should not be handled lightweight.

- The FM module. Great possibilities (like in BLUE2) but here again the layout is a bit too pressed into a frame that makes it difficult to work with it and keep a good overview. The biggest problem I have here is again the modulators. You need to work with an envelope for each operator and its a pain in the ass to have 8 envelopes in seperate windows. I think it urgently should get up on the priority list to have something like a great modulator-overview in general and a re-design for modulators like envelopes used together with one certain module (eg. the FM module).

- Addition: Granular Sampler. The actual granular plugin or module in MSF has not too much options and is missing a visual feedback. The latency is too high also. I wish a deep granular sampler.

- Addition: A deep normal sampler with different time stretching options.

- Maybe an overhaul for the OSCs- sound quality, especially in higher ranges they sound toy-ish and somehow thin and digital-ish. Could have more characteristic "beef" especially when we talk about the classical analogue wave-forms like sine, square, saw and so on :)
EDIT: must be fair on this one and mention additionally that the OSC produces a very clean or pure wave-form. This is considered a high audio quality because it's missing artefacts or noise often found in other digital or analog synths. We are simply not used to listen to such clean OSC sounds and to have those juicy and more organic sounds we are used to we have to add noise, distortion or saturation-plugins. So maybe this isn't a thing which should be improved but maybe it would be a nice addition in the OSC module to have the option to spice things up at first place?

- Re-Synthesis options for samples.

- More physical modelling modules / more materials/ more resonator-options (striking/ hitting/ bowing etc.)

Okay. That´s my wishlist with this amazing MSF so far. Don´t get me wrong. I already love what you can do with it (it´s so deeeeeep) and I am sure this tool will have a fantastic future. I really hope you take this as a constructive comment. Have joy :)

P.S. forgot one:

- Keyboard tracking knobs implemented in the modules for: amp / vel. / filter / modulation etc.
Last edited by nichttuntun on Wed May 15, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roland Alpha Juno inspired Oscillator Chopping.
as described/analysed by KVR-ian aciddose (of Xhip fame, http://xhip.net/synth).

I refer to the conclusion of the relevant KVR thread:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=420194&start=60

EDIT:

Just reflected a bit on the actual implementation. But....could this actually be achieved with Amplitude Modulation? Pulse x Saw (or any other shape)?

ANOTHER EDIT:

Yes, it can be achived by AM....and PWM.
Last edited by Kwurqx on Thu May 16, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Single-sideband modulation (AM/FM)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-si ... modulation

Both AM and FM generate 2 sets of sidebands (to the "left" and to the "right"). Also "reflected" "negative" (phase inverted) sideband frequencies can interfere with the audible/resulting spectrum.

As the name implies: Single-sideband modulation generates just 1 of the 2 sidebands, as generated by AM/FM. Either the lower or the upper half.

I guess it could also be used as a frequency (band) shifter or exiter or suboscillator type effect.

Hi again. Forgot one:

An index in the pdf manual :o)

Please make the WHOLE SYNTH available as a VST Effect, allowing processing of external input...

nichttuntun wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:58 pm Hi again. Forgot one:

+1

More important will be an UPdate to it!

David wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 am

Haha. Yes :)

But I wouldn't rank it so high in the list. In MSF everywhere are questionmarks to find. Klick those items and every parameter of a module is explained.

RedRoyQ wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:55 pm Please make the WHOLE SYNTH available as a VST Effect, allowing processing of external input...
There is already MXXX as a modular stand alone effects vst avaliable from melda. It's literally the same as the effects panel in msoundfactory.

nichttuntun wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:40 am
David wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 am

Haha. Yes :)

But I wouldn't rank it so high in the list. In MSF everywhere are questionmarks to find. Klick those items and every parameter of a module is explained.
True enough; and I've barely looked at the pdf for that reason. But I've already spotted and answered some queries from folks quoting obvious-to-me out-dated stuff from it.

Okay :wink:

dmbaer wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 pm Oh ... one more thing I forgot in my earlier post: good multi-sample support. This could be well-delivered in the form of SFZ file compatibility. That's a large specification (the SFZ spec, that is) of which nobody supports anywhere close to all of the options. But a useful subset is not too large or complicated, mainly the specification of what files go with what note ranges (and maybe velocity ranges, etc.). There are a lot of SFZ sample sets that have been put together, and more than a handful of synths that can import them, so this is not an obscurity. Unfortunately, the ones that do rarely (If ever) document just what subset of the full SFZ specification they implement, and that's most unfortunate.
I think too sfz is important but for the most important and fast to program, it can add only support to load sfz samples and put the velocity layer and multisamples of the sfz into a map for msoundfactory. then can with the effects or modulation create a sound out of this. and later if nothing better to do, there can implement more sfz support features as adsr settings, filter etc.

also very usefull is that it is possible to have key switch feature so can switch between mute and sustain.

i think the way msoundfactory go great but currently seem no sample support. there need not several synths. with macro knobs can map the most important settings in a own synth GUI panel
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

FR The ability to rename modules. E.g I just put a reverb in a "modular" module. I want to rename the module Hall Verb.
If I want to swap a module I want that option available instead of having to delete and reconnect everything.

And further down the line, a similar to iris spectral synthesis module.

focusrite wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 am FR The ability to rename modules. E.g I just put a reverb in a "modular" module. I want to rename the module Hall Verb.
If I want to swap a module I want that option available instead of having to delete and reconnect everything.

And further down the line, a similar to iris spectral synthesis module.
1. Yes

2. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about with Iris 3 features.

Wavetable resynthesis needs to be improved, I've tried wavetabling dozens of different kind of samples and all results were poor. The aliasing is pretty bad, it all sounds phasey and blurry and the options in the process tab concerning phase manipulation are not improving the results.

Return to “MeldaProduction”