Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wording fixed :)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thanks for the correction and helpful info Darkstar
But now, this has got me thinking.
I understand what the range control does, but I have never actually used it. Does anyone have any real world examples of when this control is useful?
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

jmg8 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:09 am I understand what the range control does, but I have never actually used it. Does anyone have any real world examples of when this control is useful?
It's not needed frequently, that's for sure. But consider a scenario in which a track had quiet passages (ppp to p) and loud passages (f to fff). You want to bring them dynamically closer together but you don't want to sacrifice the dynamic range in either case. Using a compressor with a range that covers mp to mf and a high ratio would probably do the trick.

Svama wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:59 am Like GNXT said, I have the same problems with some of the active presets. Like M2a feels unusable this way! Too me this isn’t the „correct“ behaviour of this compressor and it’s getting really fiddly to get a good sound and reasonable gain reduction. A fast comparison of different compressors gets impossible this way. Could that be changed?
Anyone with any insights or tips? Generally I find it difficult to use M2a, MeldyRoad both, I can't set up TurboComp quickly and move on, even very low signals need a lot of experimentation with input, output, compression, threshold.

No answer until now for the great variation in gain reduction between the different models.
Vojtech can you change this?

Svama wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:51 am No answer until now for the great variation in gain reduction between the different models.
I'm not sure what this is about - anyways MTurboComp has been "digitalized" using machine learning, which means I sort of don't know how the actual compressors work :). So if you don't like the GR meter for some reason (is that it???), then I'm afraid I cannot really help you.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Gr meter is great. The sound is great, but switching and comparing different models isn’t that easy, cause the gain reduction is so much different between these.

Yes, but that is the actual GR. In any case, you really NEED to use your ears with this. I know you hate when I say that :), but this is like supertrue especially for analog compressors! GR doesn't matter, it's just a help and it generally lies, on HW and on SW simulating the HW.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

That’s what I’m doing at the end. It’s still my go to comp. Maybe I should try to hide the meter. Thanks

The problem for me is if I throw in an LA2A emulation, or style of compression and then replace with the MA2A the compression and reduction sounds totally different. (LA2A was jus an example of many that have a ton of compression on default) and I can't get my head around this only a little with the input but still not exactly.

Yes the plugin isnt´s calibrated when changing models. If you one tune model to work in unity gain and change the model it destroys the balance of unity gain. That´s not a good thing. That´s disturbing the workflow. While you can change models within one plugin the levels around unity gain shouldn´t vary. Look at Klanghelms MJUC for example.
Last edited by nichttuntun on Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MeldaProduction wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:03 pm
Svama wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:51 am No answer until now for the great variation in gain reduction between the different models.
I'm not sure what this is about - anyways MTurboComp has been "digitalized" using machine learning, which means I sort of don't know how the actual compressors work :). So if you don't like the GR meter for some reason (is that it???), then I'm afraid I cannot really help you.
Hi Vojtech, that´s true? You did an "emulation" of legendary hardware and you really don´t know how the original machines work? Did you actually have the original hardware units in your studio to analyze them? You know a Fairchild is about 30.000,00 dollars? I am a bit confused right now I must admit.

I mean yes, Tony Frenzel from Klanghelm did a recreation of a Fairchild (plus 2 other models in one unit) and it took him literally "years" to finish it. But there is nothing in comaparison. His MJUC is still one of the best sounding software compressors out there because he exactly knows how the original units he modelled work. Beside that, when you change to one of the 3 models within his unit, unity gain keeps the same.

GNXT wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:45 pm The problem for me is if I throw in an LA2A emulation, or style of compression and then replace with the MA2A the compression and reduction sounds totally different. (LA2A was jus an example of many that have a ton of compression on default) and I can't get my head around this only a little with the input but still not exactly.
That's the thing, the machine learning learns the "sound", not meters, so the meters relate to the actual implementation.

nichtuntun: Not really, in most cases we selected the (according to us) best emulations. As I explained before, this is NOT a simulation in terms of recreating the originals using components, that's nonsense imho. That would be like making Tesla power up steam engine to move the car :D. Computers are just good at different things. Like machine learning ;). So the idea here is to take a generalized model capable of recreating similar response and then let the computer tweak the parameters. It's actually really difficult considering the parameter space, but in this particular case it works great.
Vojtech

Okay, sounds interesting. But does that mean, mturbocomp would get updates from time to time, cause other manufacturers also update their emulations to new versions and mean they get closer and closer to original models, who knows?

Absolutely not! That would change the way it sounds after all! Features may be added yes, I think that happened once or twice, but that's about it. Backwards compatibility is important. Plus I actually don't really see a problem with the way it sounds.
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”