MTurboComp questions?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1) Any chance of having an "Auto Release" added?

2) Conceptually I'm not clear about the "Compression" knob.

In the separate section labelled "Compressor" reside all the necessary and sufficient controls to set a standard compressor (i.e., threshold, ratio, attack, release). Given that, what additional function does the "Compression" knob have?

My first thought was that maybe it applied how much of the compression algorithm (as determined by the settings in the separate "Compressor" section) was applied to the dry signal. But then I realized that describes the Wet/Dry knob function.

So I was clueless after that!

Thank you for any help! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugot7j8JrSc

It increases the input and reduces the output. It is designed to feed more signal into the compressor, hence more compression but then compensates the increase of gain by reducing the output. It is basically an easy and fast way to dial in a little more/less of the effect.

BTW if you hover your mouse over a control and CTRL+H it will give you a pop up help for the control.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

jmg8 wrote:It increases the input and reduces the output. It is designed to feed more signal into the compressor, hence more compression but then compensates the increase of gain by reducing the output. It is basically an easy and fast way to dial in a little more/less of the effect.

BTW if you hover your mouse over a control and CTRL+H it will give you a pop up help for the control.

Thanks, jmg8!

And for the CTRL-H tip also ;-) . I'd read the help window, and hadn't quite understood that the way it works is by increasing the input. So a little like the "input" dial on the Fairchild 670, I guess ... ?

But (if so) what I'm not clear about is having *both* sets of controls active in the same compressor: Threshold *and* the "Compression" knob. I'm wondering if there is any reason to set the threshold at all, if simply increasing the input via the Compression knob as you mention does the same thing ... (I do understand that there is a fault in my understanding somewhere, I'm just trying to work through so my mental model of these things isn't too far off ... :) ).

Thanks again for answering jmg8!

Well if you use the compression parameter it is basically the same as the threshold but with auto gain (sort of)

jmg8 wrote:Well if you use the compression parameter it is basically the same as the threshold but with auto gain (sort of)
Got it, thx!

(Oh, and back to Question #1 ... Mr. Vojtech, any chance of getting "Auto Release" added as an option to MTurboComp? Thanks!)

Exactly!

As for auto-release, that cannot be added. These things are based on machine learning from the original compressors, and of the original didn't have auto-release, then it cannot be added. It wouldn't even make sense, the point was to emulate the character of the originals, added auto-release would make it something completely different. MDynamics is the answer then, or you can enter the depths of the edit screen ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I just did a comparison with the SKNote Distro against MTurboComp Distressor simulation and MTurboComp wins. Not by much but it is definitely better.
Spencer

Thank you! :love:
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

hey vojtech, I have been playing with Mturbocomp, and I have a question about the "range" control. I can't make any sense of the description in the manual of what this control does. do you mind explaining it differently? does it function more like a knee control, or more like the "attack" shape knob in the Empirical Labs Arousor vst? It seems to modulate the release function somewhat.

Yeah i find it difficult to use, to me some of the active presets have weird behaviour, some are very clicky and apply loads of compression even with proper gain staging, like meldy road 124, Meldley VariMeld, Meve and others ...I find it really confusing to set a subtle amount of compression. I don't know maybe i'm missing something :dog: i suppose wet/dry knob will help.

edit: example like with Meldei 1176 with a signal of VU 0db with ratio of 0% and compression all the way to -100% i get -5 db of compression

As I understand it, "Range" sets the levels over which the normal compression is applied. Above that the compression is a fixed amount. Say you have a Threshold of -18, a Range of 12 and a Ratio of 3:1.
-- Input that falls below -18 will not be compressed,
-- Input that falls within the levels -18 to -6 (= -18 +12) will be compressed as usual,
-- input at levels above -6 will be compressed reduced by a fixed amount, -8 dB in this case (= Range * (1 / Ratio))

These graphs should help (I added a yellow bar to show the range):

Last edited by DarkStar on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I agree with Darkstar, except for the last point. I don't believe there is any compression happening above the range threshold.

jmg8 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm I agree with Darkstar, except for the last point. I don't believe there is any compression happening above the range threshold.
There is a level reduction above the threshold + range area. It's not strictly compression, I suppose, but it definitely is attenuation by a fixed amount - in the end maybe it's just a matter of semantics.

Anyway, the graph tells the full story without potential for confusion.

Yes, agreed. Level reduction but not compression.

Like GNXT said, I have the same problems with some of the active presets. Like M2a feels unusable this way! Too me this isn’t the „correct“ behaviour of this compressor and it’s getting really fiddly to get a good sound and reasonable gain reduction. A fast comparison of different compressors gets impossible this way. Could that be changed?

Return to “MeldaProduction”