[SOLVED] Need help making DelayMB act like a send, without being on a send

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys.
So this problem has actually really surprised me, because i thought this plugin was capable of absolutely anything i could think of.
But i have been sitting here for more than half an hour, and i can't find a way to do this!

So let's see if anyone here can show me something obvious i have missed, or can maybe confirm that this is actually not possible?

I usually use Zebrify to do this, because i usually have one of those on every inst and audio track anyway, so that's why i haven't noticed this before.

Ok, so lets say i put Mdelay on a busy percussion channel, that has lots of hits per bar, and i only want the delay to affect one single percussion hit (let's say the 7th position of a 16 segment grid).

So i want the delay to extend the whole length of the bar, but only react to that one hit, so that hit's delay would be fading out slowly, without being muddied with delays from other hits.

Well the obvious way to do this would be to automate the input gain, so that only that one hit actually gets processed by the delay, but Mdelay wont let us do this, because the input gain affects both the wet and dry signal, so turning down the input gain results in silence.

I've tried various different things, like mapping dry, wet, input to a multiparameter, but it seems any time i stop the vst from applying delay, it also cuts off any current processing.
I'm thinking there might be a way to do it using the freeze function, and automating a volume curve for the frozen signal, but i haven't tried this yet, so i'm not sure even that will work.

So is there a way to do this?

:help:
Last edited by _al_ on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Of course. One way to do it is to use the level crossover. There might be other ways to do this but this is what came to mind first.

Set up two bands, change crossover type to "Level", move the crossover point to up around -1DB (to avoid bleedthrough issues) and assign a multiparameter to global -> level crossover value.

Now, in the wide leftmost band, disable all taps so that the delay does nothing. In the narrow rightmost band, set your delay up to do whatever it is you want to do with the hits you single out.

Finally, automate that multiparameter (you should basically have it either all the way up or all the way down) to delay the hits you want.

Using the level crossover like this effectively gives you two separate instances of the delay with two different settings, that are selectable with the MP and completely independent of each other.

What jmalge suggests ^ looks interesting.
Here's another (similar) idea:
Try using 2 bands with disabled crossover (amounts to two processors in parallel). Have no delay on Band 1, and the delay you want on Band 2. Then when you automate the input gain of Band 2 you'll still always hear the dry through Band 1.
The Band 2 input gain only goes down to -24db, which means there will still be a bit of signal being processed but probably not noticeable in the mix. (Band input gain is the one you grab and pull up or down in the band editor, not the Tap gain knob.)

I made a video about this before. This vid should explain how to do it.

https://youtu.be/3yfUUU-DU9I

Wow, big thanks to all three of you!
You guys in this sub forum amaze me sometimes.
I was expecting one solution if i was very lucky, but as usual, i'll be leaving this forum wondering how i missed all this stuff.

Had these plugins for nearly ten years, and still there is so much for me to learn :D

Edit:
Chandler what the hell :lol:
That video had nothing to do with my question

_al_ wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:21 am Wow, big thanks to all three of you!
You guys in this sub forum amaze me sometimes.
I was expecting one solution if i was very lucky, but as usual, i'll be leaving this forum wondering how i missed all this stuff.

Had these plugins for nearly ten years, and still there is so much for me to learn :D

Edit:
Chandler what the hell :lol:
That video had nothing to do with my question
Sorry, maybe I didn't understand your question. I thought you wanted a delay that only reacted to the 3rd hit(for example) and didn't add delay to the other hits. The video above shows how to do that, but perhaps you had something else in mind.

Chandlerhimself wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:15 am
Sorry, maybe I didn't understand your question. I thought you wanted a delay that only reacted to the 3rd hit(for example) and didn't add delay to the other hits. The video above shows how to do that, but perhaps you had something else in mind.
Oops you were 100% right.

Sorry, i didn't watch the video properly, and yes, that is exactly what i want to do.
Apologies, and thanks for explaining it so clearly :D

It's also possible to mult the hit(s) to a different track and apply the processing there.

mevla wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:50 pm It's also possible to mult the hit(s) to a different track and apply the processing there.
Yeah, but that would just be like using a send.
Anyway, it was actually synth i was applying it to

Return to “MeldaProduction”