MXXX FR: more lanes and crossovers with more outputs

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to make 16, 24 or 32 band effects in MXXX, but it's super difficult with only 6 lanes and crossovers with only 6 outputs. This is made way worse when also using the side chain as this can halve the lanes/outputs to only 3 as you need to crossover the side chain too.

In the past I've had to make horrible multi layered systems of modulars inside of modulars to create 9 band, side chained effects. It's totally unwieldy.

Any chance we can expand things or create some solutions here?

That one will be difficult... It's not such a big deal to provide more lanes, but it's a huge deal to provide more lanes with backwards compatibility... So to be honest, it's a no for now. Perhaps there could be a dedicated Modular32 module... It would be very hard to use though, since it would be huge! Also I never really had too much success with that many bands really, seems like anything over 6 is a bit overkill (that's why I chose the 6 as maximum in the first place, though partly it's also efficiency).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Fair enough, I'll leave it to you :)

I'm still eager to recreate a Waves L316, a 16 band limiter with a unique sound I'm a big fan of. It's the only non-Melda effect I still use now that you've made such good stuff. I could make it in MXXX, but only with more bands available.

The other issue is I'd love to ultimately create spectral effects in the same way you can with MXXX, e.g. think of a crossover but with thousands of bands. So creating something like Spectral Dynamics inside of MXXX using special spectral crossovers and dynamics modules. Obviously that would be insanely difficult for you to program, so the best I can do is to increase the number of bands out of the standard crossover, like I suggest.

Anyway, that's the reason for my post. Thanks for the thoughts as usual :)

"MXXX Spectal" was planned at one time. I think it was too experimental and didn't work well enough to release it. That would be interesting to play around with.
Also as for having a huge modular, Vojtech was worried it would be too hard to work with if it has so many lanes. Why not make it with tabs? There could be a 64Modular that has 8 tabs each with 8 lanes in.

As to the waves plugin. I remember researching it and finding out that it does something quite unique with the bands sharing information with each other and the band with the most gain reduction is the master and the other 15 are slaves. This makes it behave like a broadband limiter (not changing the frequency spectrum) when it is in its default state. This setup allows a broadband approach to limiting, however this can then be overridden for specific frequencies.
This is great for mastering as typically we dont want to change the frequency spectrum like a multiband limiter would do. However we might need to do some surgical stuff and slightly limit a certain frequency range a little more than the rest.

I'm not sure if this can be achieved with Melda. All the bands would be independent of each other and would not be able to share information with each other so they can "work as a team"
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Tabs could work, but might be tough when working across tabs (e.g. 16 band crossover), a simple scroll bar would probably be better.

Yeah I remember the chat about l316, the hard part is making the 'brain'. But with sliders to control the priority of the bands, you could distribute the necessary gain reduction with some maths based on the sliders. Would be a fun project!

Thanks for the thoughts!

I'm afraid I decided not to go for this for now. It would need much more resources even with normal MXXX (and anything modular in Melda plugins), long story. I'll still check it, but to be honest I feel like that's an overkill. As for the spectral stuff, I have it here already :), but it's way too scientific. The problem is that in spectral domain if you want to make things sound reasonable, it's quite complex, it's not like chaining a few modules. And I just don't have time to make this happen for now really, there are better things to do... so little time...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Well, checking again now, and who knows, it may work to make more lanes after all, not sure yet...
Vojtech

Awesome! You always find a way. No pressure though.

Also, there IS a market for the scientific spectral thing, I would love this. But I know you're very busy.

Thanks as always

I want to play with spectral MXXX also, hehe.
It could be just a secret plugin for the geeks.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

16 will be done! ;) The spectral stuff, not for now, sorry.
Vojtech

Yesssss... Thank you!

But can you do a version with 128 lanes? Let me explain why I need this:
You see, in order to create a certain preset I have in mind,

Just kidding!

:D :D
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”