Laptop advice

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone recommend some laptop specs I should look for to make Cantible run well in a live performance situation? I will be using it for Audion in/out with a USB sound card Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. VST Effects only no soft synths. Thanks!

Hi,

dunno what exactly you want to do, but to my experience plugs are not that problem. I don't see a special reason to spend much money on RAM - 4 Gigs should du the trick anyway.

CPU wise: get yourself some i5 and you're done (to be serious: even a i3 could be sufficient for most cases).

I'd not recommand a quad core as load balancing can make some troble here. Here 2 fast cores can probably be superior.

Grafics: a laptop without shared memory could be useful as shared memory sometimes tends to produce disturbances in low latency situations which you will definitely need for live use. Please keep in mind that you will get 2 times the soundcard latency compared to vstis as audio is running through 2 audio buffers (in and out).

Harddisk: I'm not aware of any plug using harddisk during life opertion (different to samplers where sounds are streamed from disk during playing). So no additional needs over a simple standard hdd. Of course sdds give you much smaller load times of the OS and cantabile - not for switching times between sounds!

My 2 cents on this.

Regards, humphrey
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Return to “Topten Software”