Procession Support Thread

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought I'd make a thread for Procession support seeing as it's more complicated to set up than the usual Kontakt Instrument. I made a video showing how to use it in all of the hosts I own which are Bitwig, Cubase, Reaper, Waveform, Samplitude plus Plogue Bidule and DDMF Metaplugin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcKY7F2si-I

O.k.,

then I think I will just setup a chain in freestyle, that will be the easiest to me. Is note filter the same then just setting up a split of the midi note range (in freestyle you can setup a midi range over a build in keyboard for any channel that comes in or instrument that goes out).

Is there only one midi channel coming out of kontakt (I think that is a kontakt border as far as I remember from these szcz kontakt sequencers) ? Then I would setup the midi note ranger for the output instruments.

I would imagine for example to setup four instruments in freestyle behind kontakt procession and then the midi note range inbetween set for the four instruments. This will then still be on one channel with one audio out but I dont think this will be a problem cause I can put a mixer inbetween.

Of course a rack inside waveform would be better but I still dont really get used to it (sigh....). Maybe if someone who uses waveform too could build up kind of a rack template with procession in it......

I'm not familiar with freestyle, but I'll try and find some time to look into Waveform, it looks interesting and better than the last time I played with Tracktion. I'm pretty sure that the Midi out of Kontakt uses the Midi channel that is set on the header, so you can always use multiple Processions to target different Midi channels. I will have to check on that but I seem to remember that's the way it works. no the same thing but maybe worth exploring.

It's funny, I've spent so much time working on it in the same project using the same simple sound, I haven't really thought much about the routing possibilities until yesterday. it struck me earlier it could be very interesting with Drums.

So how would you use this in Logic?

hi ghobli,

I don't have Logic i'm afraid but found this thread which is about how to do it:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... p?t=130860

Hi Andy,

I am a little puzzled how to setup the right root/scale.

My song is in Eminor.

In the track I want to use chords from a simple chord progression are already entered.

So scale is no problem, I set it to natural minor. But I kind of miss setting the root note as well which I know of most other similiar sequencers. I found the "Root" button and the explanation in the manual but not sure If I really understand it right. I would think it should be set ON, but does that really mean evrything is in Eminor or does it just take a root note from the chord, for example a "D" and then plays for that chord in "D minor" instead of the scale of the song "E minor" ? Makes me a little puzzled that I cant set the root note for the scale. But maybe I get something totally wrong.

If you play an E key the sequence will be rooted to E so all steps set to zero, 12 or 24 will be E notes. The Keyboard displays the Scale relationship in C because it is an easy way to view it, the notes you use to trigger form the root note and the whole scale is therefore transposed upwards. Does that help?

that's also why the Root note cannot be switched off on the scale because every scale has to have a root note for everything else to relate to :)

Does that mean that "scale" is not meant in "normal" way as scale for a whole song but only related to the actual chord/note I play ? So there is no "song" scale/key valid no matter which chords I play ? Maybe I just stuck in a too limited view of song root note/scale ("Eminor") and chords that fits into that scale but I would assume problems between my melody line (which is going over the chords following the song scale notes) and the sequence that sets the "scale" new for evry key/chord I play. Or did I get something totally wrong maybe ? Sorry, just a little confused.

A scale is just a relationship of intervals, it only has a root note (key) when you play it relative to a specific note. Take for instance a minor chord, you play that shape with C as the root it becomes C Minor, if you move up to F and maintain the relationship it becomes F minor, that's the 'Key' when it isn't being played it's just a minor chord which describes the intervals which are allowed to be played.

I hope I described that sensibly!

I saw this that somebody posted somewhere which is funny but actually explains the basics very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKAt3pmYBs

Great vid :)

Yes, I think I begin to understand the concept, its just "relationship" moving with the played notes, nothing "static" like a fixed song root/scale or chordprogression.

that's it :)

Just found out that one of my most favourite functions of waveform works with Procession, really happy about that:

In wavefrom you can just render a clip to midi THREW the instrument you use, you wont have to record it (I hate recording, especially midi, mostly it just wont work for me). That dont work in evry case with kontakt but in this case it works fine :D .

So you get a visual feedback of what Procession really is doing and thats amazing :o . Should be possible this way to get the different sequencer outputs out as different midi files even if that would be lot of work (depending on how much clips you have on a track, that multiplied by 4, Solo Sequencer, deactivate the instrument behind Procession, select the clip, steps for rendering), will see later on if this works as supposed.

Render to Midi is nice feature! I do like the feel/look of Waveform, I only installed it yesterday as I got Waveform 8 with the Seaboard block so I've not spent any time beyond the how to video, but I did watch a youtube video walkthrough of some of the features and it's very interesting. I'd like to spend some time exploring it when I get some time, although over the last few months I've become a Bitwig addict, it blows my mind every time I open it. I've been more about hardware for the last few years but Bitwig has drawn me back in to the computer, although the hardware integrates really well. If only I had time :)

That seems to work:
4track_Procession.jpg
First track the chords with Procession, other four are rendered midi from the four sequencers.

But just another thing where I seem to miss where to put the trigger (if possible at all): my exported midi sequencer notes from sequencer "A" first had all the same velocity. Then I found out over the manual that I have to unable "FV" cause when its on that means only one velocity is chosen for all notes. Now I have different velocities but in a very static way, is there any way to make this a little more random/changing over time ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”