How do I load my HGS (Group Buy) into Contact without being given a serial number?

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Grateful for any help, there doesn't seem to be any within the software manuals...

None of my libraries are NI Licensed so you do the following:

* make a top Level Directory to use for all 3rd party non licensed libraries somewhere on your hard drive
* Extract the libraries into this folder
* In Kontakt use the File Tab to locate this folder and then you will see all the folders you have extracted there
* Navigate inside one of the folders, and in the case of my libraries go into the Instruments folder and double click on the instrument you want to load. Instruments have an 'nki extension.

Kontakt also has a feature called quickjump which gives 10 quick shortcuts to locations on your hard drive, you can access it from the 'View' Menu at the top of the file browser. I'd suggest you create on for the top level folder I described and you can do this by ticking 'lock current quickjump' and from then on you can just click on the quickjump slot in this menu to get straight there. Kontakt will always start at the last locked one used too which is useful.

That partly works for me; but I get '*** DEMO *** Augment' in the Instrument Navigator when I load Augment that way, and the same for other instruments. Anyone know how to get past this?

Do you own the full version of Kontakt? It will only work in the player version for 15 minutes unfortunately. There is no demo or copy protected version of any of my Kontakt libraries so I presume that is the case?

No, I have the Player. I didn't see anything saying it was for full Kontakt only. ****. Lucky it was 'only' 14.99 :(

madwab: thats a pity, I can understand that you frustrated but at the end of the groupbuy page:
Note that Augment requires the latest Full Version of Kontakt 5.7 to work, it will only work for 15 minutes in the player.
It is clearly stated and mentioned on any groupbuy cause Andy use to work with the newest kontakt versions usually so sometimes not even an old version of the full kontakt will do....

Sadly most great deal times are gone now for a while it seems (so dont know, maybe the easter sales will bring some eggs) but I would really recommend if you can afford sometime to get kontakt cause there are so many cheap (like in this groupbuy) or even free libraries for kontakt.

Know that wont help you much at the moment....

It says on the GB page although it has sunk down to the bottom with all the info, I'll make it more visible. In general though the price tells you that for future reference, there's a reason that Player libraries cost a lot of money and that's because you have to pay Native Instruments for a license for every copy. I would be losing a lot of money selling all these products at $14.99 if they were licensed.

Send me an email, I'm happy to refund if you're not planning on getting Kontakt.

Unfortunately, the Group Buy page is a pretty long one, and it was about midnight. I'm not complaining about the way it was presented, although that limitation could have been put further up. I got Komplete Select through the current 50% off Reason deal the previous day, which provides quite a few products that all work with the Player versions of Reaktor and Kontakt, so my guard was down. Anyway, I can wait until the next 50% off upgrade from Select, even if that's not until BF, and in the meantime I have a lot of toys to explore in demo mode!

Astralp, thanks for the kind offer, but I'll add this to the number of reasons for getting the Komplete upgrade.

I'm sorry you can't use them now, but you will probably get a good crossgrade discount on elements I imagine, and it's worth grabbing Drumica which is a free licensed library and unless anything has changed it qualifies as a crossgrade product, just in case it's a better deal.

It may also be worth keeping an eye on the marketplace for Kontakt which I've seen for sale recently, you could always sell it on later when you upgrade to Komplete.

OK, I've just registered and started the (near 5GB) Drumica download, thanks for that tip. Also the 'buy Kontakt' one, although I'll put that on the backburner. I play guitar and recorded a little with a 4 track way back when even a 4 track tape machine was expensive, but only got serious about computer recording when I got Reason 10 in December. I've since picked up good deals on Mixcraft Pro and Studio One as well as Komplete Select, and of course much of the free stuff that's around now is pretty amazing. And I have a CM sub, which is worth it for the U-he stuff alone. So I can afford to wait a while :)

Also, today is the first time I've posted on the KVR forum, and I'm very impressed - you have one of the best forums I've used, and I've been in IT for decades. Well done and thanks, and I'll do my bit where I can.

I have very fond memories of 4 tracks, I had use of a tascam in the late 80s and it blew my mind at that time, they forced you to be creative even if the end result wasn't anything near hifi after all the bouncing down :) We are spoilt these days and it can be overwhelming having endless options. You have a few DAWs to experiment with too which is great. I do keep thinking about getting an old 4 track for some experimental sound design, the adjustable tape speed was a great feature to use whilst recording as well as flipping over the tape and recording in reverse.

It isn't my site, KVR just very kindly allow people like me to have a sub forum that I don't use as much as I should. It is a great site to be part of if you are intersted in music stuff, so welcome aboard!

Understood. Mine was a late 80s 4 track too, a Yamaha CMX1 - it was a lot cheaper than the Tascam equivalent! I used some of the difference to invest in a Roland SH-101, which I loved to bits but let go after many years when we moved to Canada - getting more for it then than I'd paid for it new. I'm now hoping the LuSH-101 will go on sale for close to what it did a while back, before had I heard of it. Agreed completely, I've yet to find my creative niche in any DAW - I can spend days just exploring patches. Back then I had a very old, very cheap practice guitar and a cheap amp, and I recorded stuff. Now I have a Roland GK guitar, GR-55, VG-99, James Tyler Variax, Pod HD400X, two good amps and various other pedals, and - I noodle. But hey, I like noodling :)

Contact? :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

hehe I didn't notice that :)

Lush is a seriously capable synth, but there is some brightness to the sound that I'm not keen on but it's probably just down to taste. For the 101 hands down the TAL Bassline is the one, it's absolutely fantastic.

This is a soundset I made for it a few years ago:

https://soundcloud.com/astralp/sets/ess ... e-101-demo

It sounds very authentic to me and the sequencer is bliss, plus it's very cheap :)

Roland have made one now but unfortunately you have to subscribe to the cloud but it sounds very good from what I've heard.

You have some nice patches there. I shall spend a bit more time with the Bassline. But here's an obscurity for you. Back in 2006 I bought a VST, the SC 101, from sc develop. For years I thought I'd lost it in a hard disk failure, but found it a few weeks ago when I was clearing out my folders. In a brief side by side comparison with the Bassline, the latter has a clearer and more confident sound and it resonates *much* more like the real thing. But the SC 101 has a mono / poly switch, and the graphic is RED, just like the best SH 101s! sc develop seem to have disappeared somewhere in there.

Incidentally, Roland's SH 101 vst can be bought without a cloud sub - see https://contentstore.roland.com/aira/de ... 1481851526

...just US$145, mono only. You can choose the color, but although the red is nice, the SC 101 red is more like the real thing. I don't think Roland are much into discounting but if they ever do this one at 75% off, I'll have it.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”