Just one more thing I have noticed-updates-Legacy vs Instruments

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have all of Andy's Kontakt libraries and going through and getting the latest updates.

Just downloaded the Evolution and Awakenings libraries he has 2 Inst sections- 1. Instrumenets 2. Legacy
Both have same names.

At first I didn't pay much attention to the differences until I started playing sections 1 and 2 above. I then went into the editor and looked at Instrument options. I see at least one difference.

1. Instruments - has the DFD turned off
2. Legacy- has the DFD turned on

With DFD turned off- some notes don't play the first time on the keyboard-the 2nd time they do cause they are now loaded to play. So I turn on some of the samples as I start to play notes on the keyboard.
With DFD turned on-- samples are all loaded and ready to play the first time.

Now I kinda know what the DFD does. With Kontakt version 5.6.5 and in Windows 10 I can run both 1 or 2 above cause having DFD on does not seem to crash my Kontakt at least for me

take care,

Dave

Yes basically the legacy is exactly as you describe, I left them just in case, but I would suggest people use the newer ones just in case, as far as I'm concerned the fact that this option exists means that NI don't have 100% confidence in it :)

Cool thanks Andy. That's one thing I never played around with in Instrument options until now. Learn something new everyday.

Jumping from Kontakt ver 5.5.2 to ver 5.6.5 took me just a little bit to find where they put a few things. The Kontakt effects had me scratching my head on where to access them. Had to read their manual to find them. Now its easy to do.

Reading on the VI Musicians forum there is one post I monitor on Kontakt 5.6.5 and as you say there is still allot of issues with it, and some of the composers there are going back to say ver 5.5.2 again cause of crashes. That is why I was kind of hesitant to make the leap to lastest in greatest of Kontakt. At least I am not doing anything major right now with Kontakt other than getting new libraries.

Cool stuff.

Happy holidays to everyone,

Dave

You can actually install both versions side by side, if you copy the kontakt dll and exe before updating. If you have already updated you can extract the 5.5.2 setup to a temp folder and search for the kontakt.dll and .exe. I'm not sure how DAWs deal with this but it's a godsend for me as a developer.

My next project will be 5.6 only as I'm making use of the new XY pad so I hope that more people move to it. I find it much better to be honest, the only thing that I don't like is the new key colours. They seem to be sorting out the bugs fairly quickly.

Thanks Andy for that info. I did not know how others were keeping older versions of Kontakt along with the latest verstion. Many sellers now are only providing there libraries in the latest version of Kontakt. But some still provide all the way back to version 4. Just have to ask or read the specs before you buy new libraries.

Note Andy: I found playing with my Midi Guitar last night Kontakt crashed, I do still need the DFD option off. Guess I had allot more note data going to Kontakt than my Keyboard.

take care,

Dave

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”