Initial findings with new updates Cassetto and kosmology for Kontakt

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First off thank you Andy for the new updates on the Kosmology and Cassetto.

I tested two things with the new updates with windows 10 and Kontakt ver 5.6.5:
So far below are the only two updates I have gotten so far.

Kosmology v1.47 (Calculus only at this time) key voices not resetting
Cassetto v1.66-Hold feature with Arp turned on.

Initial testing for about 5 minutes with Kosmology Cakculus seems to work much better. I got no held voices-Voices went/reset back to zero after I stopped keyboard playing each time. I did allot of fast keyboard playing even holding down sustain pedal to get allot of voices playing at one time and changed to a few different patches. With previous version doing above it would crash right away-voices would not reset.

Still want to do more testing on Kosmology even with other products to make sure of my findings, looks good so far for me.

Cassetto with the ARP on and using the hold with the sustain pedal works but not quite 100% the way the sustain pedal should work-but you are very close Andy. First the sustain pedal does turn on/off the hold Button/feature with either the ARP on or off which is great.

Hope I can explain what I am seeing. I am finding one thing it is not doing which is not a true sustain, if I press down the sustain pedal and start to play various key chord patterns with ARP on, the notes play but there is a break between chord changes, does not continue to hold each of the previous chord sounds with the pedal down. Also if I lift up/turn off the sustain pedal and I am still holding down a last chord pattern, the notes I am holding down stops playing. Normal sustain, the notes should continue to play since I am still physically holding the chord pattern down. Also with ARP turned off it does the same above.

Kosmology does all the holding with sustain pedal above correctly if you want to compare operations.

Thanks Andy for adding the new hold feature to Cassetto, I know you said was tricky doing this with Cassetto. You are very close and just thought I would pass this along on my observations.

take care,

Dave

Kosmology hold feature with ARP on and using sustain pedal.

What Kosmology does that I like and Cassetto does not do at this time. Kind of a clarification I am seeing after comparing both for a while.

1. If I hold down a chord with my hands, notes start playing, then I press the sustain pedal on and then lift my hands off the keyboard, the notes will continue to play as long as the pedal is down. Cassetto stops playing the notes. This allows me to jump to other chords live with having breaks in the patterns.
2. With the sustain pedal on and hold down a chord with my hands, now keep holding the the chord down with my hands and lift off with the sustain pedal, the chord notes will also continue to play until I lift my hands off the keyboard. Cassetto stops playing notes soon as I lift off the sustain pedal and my hands are still holding the the chord on the keyboard.

3. Kosmology also does not hold previous chords with the hold on like what a normal keyboard does, so not worried about that and love the way Kosmology currently operates.

1 and 2 above This allows me to jump to other chords/patterns playing live on the keyboard or my midi guitar without having breaks in any of the patterns.

Yes I do have sustain pedal control with my midi guitar. Makes for some cool special effects at times that I couldn't do with the guitar by itself.

Cool Stuff, take care,

Dave

I'm aware it doesn't behave like a standard sustain, but I don't think I can create that to work with the ARP, as I mentioned before it's very tricky to get around all ARP notes sustaining which eats up the polyphony insanely fast. At the moment I've managed to work it so that the pedal enables/disables HOLD, and I'm not sure I can do better than that. Maybe I could when the ARP is disabled, I will have a look at some point :)

I used a midi guitar many years ago that I borrowed, it was a Casio real guitar with a switch between guitar/midi or both and it was great, played it on stage a few times with an MT32 for adding strings to the guitar sound. You did get miss triggers occasionally though.

What midi guitar do you use Dave?

First Andy, thanks for getting the ARP and sustain pedal to work. I can do allot of things the way Cassetto is currently by just turning on the sustain pedal and JAM away with the keyboard or guitar.

My midi guitar is kind of a unique device. It is made by "You Rock Guitar". It looks like a guitar but uses sensitive sensors for the fretboard hand instead of actual strings. Actual strings are only located at the playing hand area. Once it is setup I find it tracks and plays easier(don't need heavy calluses on my fingers) and much better than a couple of other midi guitars I had. I previously had the Yamaha G10 very expensive and it was a bear to get it to play accurately.

With the YRG Guitar,I am not very good at finger tapping, but with a press of a button, makes it a piece of cake to do that style of playing and can play notes very quickly with just the fretboard hand(or use both hands on the fretboard).

With the YRG guitar, I cant quite do some things a real guitar can do at one time, but it suits my playing and what I am trying to do.

Now for the sustain part of it, the YRG guitar does not come with sustain built in, but with the tricks of midi, I use a small keyboard controller setup on the same shared midi channel, and I can now play the guitar keyboard style with sustain. Makes it interesting when I can hold down notes that are on one string. All in all, it if fun to play for me.

That's why I am glad you provided the sustain hold feature on your products cause both my hands are
busy/occupied on the guitar. <hehe>

take care,

Dave

Just had a look, it looks like fun! I must admit these days I lust after the linnstrument but there's no way I can justify that amount of money really :) Plus Mr Linn is such a lovely human. It's such an elegant midi solution for guitarists, but a bit more like a chapman stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px0Id-fVD9M

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”