Kontakt 5.6 crashing Kosmology in Cubase 8.5

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a placeholder thread for this issue, I'm looking into it.

Thanks Astrlp. I am happy to work with you to sort this out if it you want me to do any testing for you. - Scotty

Astralp wrote:This is a placeholder thread for this issue, I'm looking into it.

Astralp wrote:This is a placeholder thread for this issue, I'm looking into it.
Thanks Astrip, here is what happens exactly.
I´m on Win7 64 Bit, Cubase 7.07 64 Bit.

Kosmology Awakenings works fine here in Kontakt 5.6.1 - No Problems while switching Presets

All Kosmology Versions inside (Multiverse Versions 1.1) Multiverse Calculus,Classics,Dominate and Infected crashes when switching Presets in Kontakt 5.6.1 and freezes Cubase too.

In Kontakt 5.5.1.451 there are no problems with these inside Versions of Kosmology.

Maybe this can help to sort out. And thank you for the Group Buy and all the wonderful instruments. I can play along with them the whole day. :tu:

I've had intermittent problems with Kosmology crashing Live 9 on Mac for a long time. It will work for awhile and then crash, but not really replicatable.

A suggestion: the new update of the UVI Synth Anthology II also allows sequencing of filters, etc, and they have a "smoothing" control which makes for some great evolving pad textures. You might consider something like that on yours as well to provide an alternative to the abrupt change you get now. Don't know if that's possible on Kontakt.
Music you can believe in:
http://rebshaya.com

irvg wrote:I've had intermittent problems with Kosmology crashing Live 9 on Mac for a long time. It will work for awhile and then crash, but not really replicatable.

A suggestion: the new update of the UVI Synth Anthology II also allows sequencing of filters, etc, and they have a "smoothing" control which makes for some great evolving pad textures. You might consider something like that on yours as well to provide an alternative to the abrupt change you get now. Don't know if that's possible on Kontakt.
I remember you emailing about it, I've never been able to reproduce it sadly, I doubt it is connected to this cubase/5.6 bug but hopefully it is releated. At the moment I'm thinking I may reconstruct Kosmology piece by piece in December, I was intending to revisit anyway and I could release some alphas to try and get to the bottom of these issues.

Smoothing is something I tried out from a scripted point of view, but it uses a lot of CPU and you can hear stepping. The idea would be to use Kontakts modulation smoothing, however there is no way to edit that from a script which rules it out. I will have a look though when I revisit, i agree it would be a great feature that I have used in earlier products such as ARP.

back to this particular problem I've spent several hours looking for clues, and there is a random element to it unfortunately as in it doesn't always crash... As a programmer without something reproducible it makes it hard to diagnose. I don't really have the time right now, and so I'm putting some time aside in December so that I can focus on it completely after Cassetto is finished. In the meantime if anyone can find a way to reproduce the crash ideally 100% of the time that would be seriously helpful.

Consistent Crash in Kosmology Dissonance - Follow These Steps

Try this.. Load an empty Cubase 8.5x project. Load Kontakt as a track instrument. Load Kosmology Dissonance. Step through the presets in order from preset 1 (Amaze Menu) through to preset 8 "Crasher" and play some notes on your keyboard to trigger the sound each time. Everything is fine until you get to preset 8 - Crasher. Once you get to preset 8 - Crasher (yes the irony!) you can play notes once and then Kosmology freezes and stops responding to midi input. It isn't a hard crash at this point. If you then click back to any earlier presets is refuses to play any sounds on the presets that worked just moments before.

IF you then click on the "x" in the top right corner to the right of the tune knob and top meter, Kontakt will not clear and you then have a frozen screen. Cubase is unresponsive and you have to force quit Cubase. I am on windows 7 64 bit. I can upload a movie to you if you can't replicate it on your system. It behaves this way 100% of the time for me if you follow those steps exactly as described.

Astralp wrote:back to this particular problem I've spent several hours looking for clues, and there is a random element to it unfortunately as in it doesn't always crash... As a programmer without something reproducible it makes it hard to diagnose. I don't really have the time right now, and so I'm putting some time aside in December so that I can focus on it completely after Cassetto is finished. In the meantime if anyone can find a way to reproduce the crash ideally 100% of the time that would be seriously helpful.

So far it looks to me as though it's related to loading purged samples which Kontakt automatically does when it needs to play a purged sample. If any of you could try the following it would be helpful:

1: Load Kosmology Dissonance (or other library that you know crashes)

2: Click on the little arrow next to purge and choose reload all samples

3: try and make it crash

It seems fine with all the samples loaded here, but I can't get a consistent crash with any preset, it crashes at different points every time I run through the presets. Not really a solution especially for the larger libraries, but perhaps I can put together a small script to demonstrate the behaviour which I can send to NI.

Has anyone had a chance to try the above, I'm a bit stuck without any confirmation, thanks :)

I can get it to crash simply loading a Calculus kosmology and then playing the first patch from the built in browser. I then proceeded to try the above process (purge and reload all samples) and everything is now working great! So do I need to do this every time I load one of your instruments? I can already see myself forgetting, loading a kosmology in an existing project in which I didn't save (always forget to save when I'm in the heat of writing) and it crash on me!

System Specs:
Mac Pro 5,1 3.33GHz 12 core 48GB RAM
OS 10.9.5
Cubase 8.5.2
Kontakt 5.5.2
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Asltralp were you able to replicate the crash sequence I posted above with Kosmology Dissonance?

Thanks for trying, much appreciated :) For the moment with 5.6 yes, although I do have a test I'm working on which may help with the problem but I really needed that confirmation that it's related to unloaded files. I'm not confident I can solve it, it needs to be fixed by NI, at the moment I'm hoping to build a simple project to demonstrate it to them but it's not happening easily so far ...

You could do me another favour though, load a preset whilst all samples are loaded, unload all samples and then play through A-H until it seems to have loaded all samples. If you could repeat that a few times to see if you can get a crash, being careful not to load a preset from the browser unless all samples are loaded.

Scotty wrote:Asltralp were you able to replicate the crash sequence I posted above with Kosmology Dissonance?
Scotty not everytime unfortunately, it tends to be a different preset each time, have you tried loading all samples to verify if it still crashes? I'm 95% sure it is to do with unloaded samples at this point.

I will test tomorrow and get back to you. Feel free to send any scenarios my way for confirmation. I can dedicate some time to this. Happy to help. - Scotty

Astralp wrote:
Scotty wrote:Asltralp were you able to replicate the crash sequence I posted above with Kosmology Dissonance?
Scotty not everytime unfortunately, it tends to be a different preset each time, have you tried loading all samples to verify if it still crashes? I'm 95% sure it is to do with unloaded samples at this point.

Thanks Scotty :) I'll keep it going through this thread

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”