Sound quality with large scales

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While attempting to using a large microtonal scale, if I was to open up multiple instances of HG piano with each instance just playing a tiny part of the range of notes and starting from a different home note (so that it worked out right), would that fix the awful sound quality of the large scales? Why is the sound quality so awful just for large scales? I'm not referring to dissonance but just with any single note it sounds like all the life has been taken out.

They all sound tinny. Like this:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8174415
It's the generic piano default but it doesn't even sound like a piano. The larger the scale the more 'tinny' is it. All the 'fullness' disappears.

But if I use smaller scales like 12 tone pythgorean, HG piano sounds pretty good.

Hi Jay

Sorry I missed this until now, I have no good excuses, I just haven't got the hang of checking on the forum...

I think that the reason is simply that the sample is being tuned too far, that is the only reason I can think of, there isn't much to do about it unfortunately. The difference is that in HG Piano each key has it's only sample and so as you go up the keyboard it is just playing the sample as it was recorded. When you use the Microtuner, it changes the pitch of each sample, and so the sound will degrade the further you get away from actual pitch. The extreme MT Patches will be much better used with an oscillator based synth such as Bion or Bionic.

take care
Andy

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”