Questions & requests about Black Magic and Introjector

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all/Andy,

I got a little question or perhaps a request on Black Magic. Is there a way to clear all the pattern blocks in one click or so in the sequencer? I't kind of tedious to have to uncheck all these little squares on by one :lol: If not, could there perhaps be a "clear all" button made on there Andy? That would be great! :)

And then about Introjector. I played with it a few times and it's very nice, especially the "cutting up to slices" of loops you feed it and sending the parts to different keys on a midi keyboard. But there is one aspect more that I would love to see in Introjector. Maybe it's not what this plugin is meant for and it's not possible at all, but will it be possible to glitch/mangle entire (wav) loops with Introjector, like for instance LiveLab LiveSlice or Ugo Disturbace or Code Audio Beatburner can do. Like rearranging the slices, glitching/mangling and things like filters and delay on the entire recorded BM loop with a graphical representation in display of the whole (wav)loop.

Black Magic is the only drum vst I use these days (apart from the integrated one in Orion) and I love the internal recording feature. But sometimes I miss the mangling with the recorded loops afterwards. So sometimes I need to feed them to another plugin afterwards like Disturbance to get that "crazy" style on it. I understand that it will be a lot of work to apply these features, but it would make it so great. The perfect companion to Black Magic :) But I guess with those features you can not make it a free plugin like it's intended to be. So maybe make a "lite" version and a commercial one with features like these? :roll: Just a thought.. :wink:

Thanks for all your hard work so far Andy. I hope the group buy for Black Magic will be a great succes! One would be crazy not to buy it for such a low price :o

Take care :)
Last edited by Nielzie on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nielzie wrote: not, could there perhaps be a "clear all" button made on there Andy? That would be great! :)
In Black Magic you can just use the default button at the top of the line of default buttons on the sequencer page :)

In Introjector I will sort something out for sure :)
And then about Introjector. I played with it a few times and it's very nice, especially the "cutting up to slices" of loops you feed it and sending the parts to different keys on a midi keyboard. But there is one aspect more that I would love to see in Introjector. Maybe it's not what this plugin is meant for and it's not possible at all, but will it be possible to glitch/mangle entire (wav) loops with Introjector, like for instance LiveLab LiveSlice or Ugo Disturbace or Code Audio Beatburner can do. Like rearranging the slices, glitching/mangling and things like filters and delay on the entire recorded BM loop with a graphical representation in display of the whole (wav)loop.

Black Magic is the only drum vst I use these days (apart from the integrated one in Orion) and I love the internal recording feature. But sometimes I miss the mangling with the recorded loops afterwards. So sometimes I need to feed them to another plugin afterwards like Disturbance to get that "crazy" style on it. I understand that it will be a lot of work to apply these features, but it would make it so great. The perfect companion to Black Magic :) But I guess with those features you can not make it a free plugin like it's intended to be. So maybe make a "lite" version and a commercial one with features like these? :roll: Just a thought.. :wink:
I'll look into what these other plugs do and think about it, but unless sales pick up then development time is a major issue. Hopefully a few more will get on to the group buy over the next week. I may be selling Introjector on its own, but for the moment it is free for Black Magic users as it does fit in there nicely, but I can see that there may be a market for it on its own.

thanks for the encouragement and ideas, I'm glad you are enjoying them :)

take care
Andy

Ahhh yes, the default button.. I thought that was meant to go back to the default preset settings :hihi: Thanks!

Thank you for looking into the possibility of putting a bit more entire wav loop glitching/mangling/reproduction functionality into Introjector and sorry I had to ask. I hope it won't be too much work, but considering you're working on your own on all your projects, it might be.. but I hope not, because when it's implemented in Homegrown quality it's going to be great for sure :)

Just out of curiousity.. may I ask how much time you have spend to develop Black Magic on your own?

Good luck Andy

Just under a year altogether, a lot of hours too, I haven't really had much life outside of it tbh. The 3D/2D graphics were designed by someone else though which was a 1st for me.

Almost a year of development... wow :o That must have been your biggest project to date. The graphics/skin design is very nice work. In my opinion a more professional and easier on the eyes gui than the "Astralis" like theme :)

How much work you think it would be to implement a wav loop player in Introjector on which it's possible to use the soundscaper/fx/filter/delay/distortion effects (those are already build in BM, so these components could possibly be used again :-) ) to the output of the playing loop? Maybe that would not be too much work and it would be great for a start! :)

Starting to love this little funky machine and it's under heavy evaluation by me right now. :) Don't want to hijack this thread but add some request if possible.

Anyway, andy, would it be possible to make the knobs move immediately to a specific position if I click just outside of the knobs, instead of having to click, hold down the button and pull the mouse up or down to get to the same value? Like a quickjump to a value. Love to be able to change i.e. give the master drive a quick jump now and then for a chock effect. :)

Nielzie wrote: How much work you think it would be to implement a wav loop player in Introjector on which it's possible to use the soundscaper/fx/filter/delay/distortion effects (those are already build in BM, so these components could possibly be used again :-) ) to the output of the playing loop? Maybe that would not be too much work and it would be great for a start! :)
You can do this already if I understand you correctly? Introjector loads 8 loops, if you set the envelope to full sustain it becomes a loop player with the first 16 midi keys, you can set the start position to 0 for them so they play from the start. They should be the same tempo though to be in sync. Is that what you mean?

jensa wrote:Starting to love this little funky machine and it's under heavy evaluation by me right now. :) Don't want to hijack this thread but add some request if possible.

Anyway, andy, would it be possible to make the knobs move immediately to a specific position if I click just outside of the knobs, instead of having to click, hold down the button and pull the mouse up or down to get to the same value? Like a quickjump to a value. Love to be able to change i.e. give the master drive a quick jump now and then for a chock effect. :)
Glad you are liking it :)

I can't really do out side the knob easily, sliders are better suited to that sort of usage, how about if I out a duplicate set of sliders in there for the master controls? You can also assign the midi upper 2 octaves to affect drive level so you can play it from your keyboard :)

Or maybe could you do it Click + Shift / Ctrl or Alt?

Nielzie wrote:Almost a year of development... wow :o That must have been your biggest project to date.
Well actually, Astralis A was the longest, it got rebuilt so many times along the way and improved and eventually became Orgone, that whole process took me about 3 years lol. Since then learning to program has made things a lot easier seeing as I do a lot more of the stuff through code now as opposed to to SE which has made the CPU usage and load times much better. The very first version of Astralis I made in 2005 took 30 seconds to load up, ouch... I got that to about 5 seconds before I released it if I remember correctly hehe

jensa wrote:Or maybe could you do it Click + Shift / Ctrl or Alt?
Well at the moment ctrl and shift do different levels of fine control. The other problem is the way the knob code works which is all about degrees of movement as opposed to x,y clicking so it would take rewriting the way the knob works which I haven't got time to do right now but possibly in the future. I will have a look at the code and see how much work it will involve though... Would take me much less time to just add a bank of sliders somewhere?

Andy

Astralp wrote: You can do this already if I understand you correctly? Introjector loads 8 loops, if you set the envelope to full sustain it becomes a loop player with the first 16 midi keys, you can set the start position to 0 for them so they play from the start. They should be the same tempo though to be in sync. Is that what you mean?
Yes and no, lol :lol: It's basically what I mean, but I described the "loop player" not very well I see. I mean whit loop player a little more graphically display of the loop to see what part of the loop get's distorted, delayed, etc.

A little more like for instance this:

or this:

Where you can see the loop play from left to right and where you can "draw" the parts where the effects will take effect and how intense.

And then it would be really great also if that 1 loop could be graphically devided in little parts that could be dragged from left to right in different order etc, but that's going to be pretty difficult or let's say "challenging" to program I guess :wink:

Yes I can't really commit to developing something that complex, it would take a lot of time and BM still has in no way justified its development unfortunately. Introjector was intended to be a simple plugin to compliment BM, although it has already become fairly complex lol. From now on my decisions have to be whether it is financially viable to spend time developing especially to that extent, Introjector is mainly using stuff I've already developed to make it a quicker project if you see what I mean...

take care
Andy

Astralp wrote:Yes I can't really commit to developing something that complex, it would take a lot of time and BM still has in no way justified its development unfortunately. Introjector was intended to be a simple plugin to compliment BM, although it has already become fairly complex lol. From now on my decisions have to be whether it is financially viable to spend time developing especially to that extent, Introjector is mainly using stuff I've already developed to make it a quicker project if you see what I mean...

take care
Andy
Yes I see what you mean. I'm not a programmer myself so for me it's difficult to know how much time it takes to develop one thing or another but I understand and of course respect your perspective on this. Because you have to make a living out of this, and I wish you all the luck to succeed :wink: .

And it's an interesting point you got there: what to do to make it financially viable. What kind of plugins are interesting to make and what do people want and need when there are so many different kinds of plugins already available and how much money are they willing to pay for it against how much development time it will take (time vs money and time = money)..

Good luck :)

thanks, well I've never had to look at it that way otherwise none of these plugs would have happened, but things have radically changed for me this year and so now it is essential unfortunately.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”