CYGNUS - I need help

Official support for: krakliplugins.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Ian and all the other Cygnus users,
I could need some help to understand Cygnus.
I have some basic understanding of synthesis (I learnt with Synth1)
but Cygnus is not so transparent to me!

1. The sync function of OSC1 is modulating OSC2 ?
2. Is this a FM like modulation? (cause the name of OSC2 is FM OSC)? If not, what is modulated by what in case of the FM Modulation and what is modulated by what in case of the sync modulation?
3. The little button in OSC2 below the tune slider is what?
4. OSC3 consists of 3 Voices and an ENV, nothing else, right?
5. When I reduce all sliders and knobs of CHORUS1 and CHORUS2 to zero, I have no sound. So the Osillators can't bypass the Choruses?
6. The sliders in the HARMONIC section....what do they exactly?

akira wrote:1. The sync function of OSC1 is modulating OSC2 ?
No there is an internal reference Osc which always tracks the key value. Osc1 is a (limited) additve osc but all frequencies can be synclocked to the reference osc with the button. You can really see this if you use a pitch mod sweep and then toggle the sync button. The dials below each harmonic slider determine how much each harminic level is effected by any pitch mod.
2. Is this a FM like modulation? (cause the name of OSC2 is FM OSC)? If not, what is modulated by what in case of the FM Modulation and what is modulated by what in case of the sync modulation?
3. The little button in OSC2 below the tune slider is what?
Osc 2 is a very simple FM Osc. There is a carrier and modulator. the button locks the modulator to musical intervals of the carrier, taming the fm effect.
4. OSC3 consists of 3 Voices and an ENV, nothing else, right?
3 tuned noise oscillators, it is these that give Cygnus its 'breathiness'.
5. When I reduce all sliders and knobs of CHORUS1 and CHORUS2 to zero, I have no sound. So the Osillators can't bypass the Choruses?
Correct, although you can reduce the depth to zero
6. The sliders in the HARMONIC section....what do they exactly?
Hopefully I covered that above

It must be remembered that Cygnus was never really designed to be 'understood' as indicated by the original GUI. Rather the idea was to experiment, fiddle and see what pops out. However hopefully the above helps a little to get to grips with it..

Hi Ian,
Many many thanx for your reply and that you've overcome your original intention to keep cygnus mystic, or at least made an exception in my case :)!
This will help me out for a while.
I'm trying to make some ambient / chillout music
and it's like you made cygnus for me.

Good bye

Return to “Krakli”