Whatever happened to...

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

q2midi? Did you morph it into a newer generator? Is it still available?

dear god that's going back a bit. i think we can defer to hyperion as a preferable platform.

the 'q' series did have some interesting output... random values were generated using a synthedit oscillator.. the osc value was s&h'ed, then the decimal portion was taken. more "random" values were derived from multiplying the osc and again taking the decimal portion of the output.

i stopped using this because sometimes the oscs didn't sync precisely and return the same values, and a few years later i'd be able to use my own code. but this method of generating values did have some interesting melodic output (had enough of it after two albums).

so many different ways to generate events..... imagine if we all explored them in our own way ;)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Thanks for your reply telling me about Hyperion. The PDF provided with the download is a compelling read. It's woven a beautifully intricate puzzle in mind. :hihi:

I've not not tried it yet. I was about to fire Hyperion up when AVG reported that one of the components, volts to degree.sem, contained 'Trojan horse PSW.Generic8.AALG'. Which is thankfully a false positive, already known to KVR. In the past I've discounted anything with that apparent severity with an instant delete... leaving me wondering what other delights I've missed out on. From what I can gather, it seems a while since you released any MIDI plugins so I'm wondering if your view on machine-made MIDI has changed? Another question: Was Hyperion the pinnacle of your (as dev) interest? Could you recommend any of your other (or, indeed other's) MIDI contraptions, apart from your own Hyperion?

duplicate post... whoops
Last edited by Pytchblend on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunno if i was supposed to notice something about the quote, anyway -

hyperion and miniseries are the aleatoric procedures i've used most in composition since making them (as far as vst goes, nowadays, i make a music engine). certainly the terminus of procedural sequencing has not been reached but they are adequate for giving someone "somethnig to play around with that spits out notes". otherwise i could spend forever implementing different algorithms (then who would do the other stuff)

:p i like tonecarver's work but one thing people often miss is that ..... well, users seem to figure there is an endless potential for new stochastic processes to make intriguing generator tools (see my pdf, "everything fun about synthesis" for my thoughts on endless novelty).

people seem to think it would be really great if i could just make them tools, so they can make sequences and then they would be like a powerful awesome king. they get tired of one process, and think, but someone will give me a new, more awesomer process, then i will be the king again... hey, add more parameters. what has really happened is they got tired. most processes have plenty of potential, but the user get used to the output.

meanwhile, there is like zero interest in taking it to the next level.

i had a rare evening yesterday and listened to blewm while the sun went down. (i don't listen to electronics a lot except when developing). it takes a while to learn, how it wants to be listened to. fast, with low bpm variance, say 125, 25. everything set for maximum randomisation (the "use this scale only" functions aren't useful for "entertainment"). eventually, it makes contact and you can hear it the way it wants to be heard, then you know what you are lsitening to.

i'm sorry to be "all mystical" as some people don't like that, but, whether they like it or not, that is the function.

blewm would be more engaging if i'd spend 16 weeks on it instead of 8, so the timbres and other components were "more there" but they're "there just enough". just enough for people who are ready for it. just enough for 8 weeks.

i mean, i'd like to give you a really friendly, normal sounding "all about vst technology" kind of response, but your name is pytchblend and i'm really not good at withholding information.

it's really terrible for me to mention it, as it is such a liability for innocent persons, but consider my recordings from last year. these contain "stochastic vocals" that are more articulate and less defined than using a voice synthesizer (eg. "breathcube") and the result is extremely tangible.

why did this happen?

well, what have i been saying all along.

attention, human attention, is the. most. valuable. commodity in the entire universe.

if one does not cultivate their attention, and dispenses it willy nilly to all takers, ... .......it's not polite to say, is it. but i'm implying this is suboptimal :)

if one does cultivate their attention, then it is unlikely that it will be meant to perform the same tasks it has been performing.

so... hyperion is kinda sorta flexible, it does enough, it's not much, and certainly, a weathered proceduralist may feel these limits more, but it sputs out events. it's not enough for the complexities of academic music et c. but it's "something that wasn't there before, achieved by indirect method".

it doesn't sound the same as q-anything, or series, or skunk, or scribe or other stuff with an 's'. :) people really need to admit to themselves, that c/c++ is like, a condensed form of english exclusively for numeral operations, and it's bloody easy to do. there are a bunch of bastards everywhere who don't want it to seem easy so they can get fat selling people things, but it's all lies. once you have a shell for wrapping stuff in an audio environment, writing a novel process can seriously take as much time as writing a kvr post (shorter than this one.. i type pretty fast tho :) )

and once a person begins to perform these tasks, new avenues of consideration are apparent. this is, i suspect, where many people ought to be (yesterday..)

it's not *entirely* my aim to disappoint enthusiastic consumers (...) but i get real kinda wtf about being the only person around who can do this or do that, because people are content to live in smaller regions of application.

even without music, just procedural poetry, does so much to stimulate the (semantic) awareness-slash-"acceptance", which widens (memetic) consideration. people are stupid not because they don't know enough, but because they know too much. the lyrics generators are there to help people see that, other adjectives can go with nouns, that aren't commonly used. a "novel" adjunct between two symbols may encourage the reader to see some order, reason, rationale that before they had considered not possible and therefore not pertinent. when a person expands what they are willing to consider, then they don't automatically go blind when they see things they are encouraged not to see.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “xoxos”