myrmidon

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"always" wanted to call a synth suchwise, got my chance two days ago. old synth idea, got a wild hair to make it, here we are.

simple unison synth with separate pitch modulation for each oscillator, so its not a bunch of detuned, static values, but a nest of writhing pitches. years ago mystran posted a blep algorithm that fades saw to pulse for ~0.5% of my cpu core.

so i got 7 oscs doing that for 4% or so of my cpu, and decided to add amplitude modulation. i thought, this isn't bad, adding some varying amp envelopes will make it a sort of granular synth, which could be nice for loads of applications.

so i built a varying a/r cycle for each osc and decided that was about as much cpu as i wanted to go ... with uniform amplitude for this modulation it doesn't do "organic granular" so well but it does do phasing/movement very nicely. then i decided that was enough :) (had also been considering continuous osc count variance, to blend from different #s of oscs but too much cpu load unnecessary for most uses)

this could be old, boring stuff to everyone since i no longer follow vst releases. my appraisal, its ~"next gen" unison synth which can sound a bit wilder, has a few interesting capabilities, might be nice for strings in reverb (tremolo emulation?).

but it turns out it does nice n fat "electric" energy unison leads with teh extra movement - check teh 2nd patch, hold down a lower note. you can see why i used the a/r envelope scheme for amp modulation.

the lfo is new, the previous "lfo5" used for angle/out/black had 60-odd contours including ~30 "procedural/chaos attractors" which i thought were interesting, organic, but generally too cyclic for many random textures. so i cut all of those out and added my classic smooth rnd contour (and an extra generator that makes envelopes on some notes.. readme in zip).

in case anyone is using 32 bit se 2.4

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/myrmidon-by-xoxos
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Many presets click loudly, starting with preset "hat 0". Is it normal?
Nice moving unison there, somehow reminds me of what Float can do.

added audio demo
https://static.kvraudio.com/files/383/e09.mp3

first impressions, the omission of a strict fundamental periodicity can be a plus for mixing.

only a couple of the presets are patched, the rest are inherited from unrelated architecture. i didn't discern how to reset this oscillator without clicking, so the sync function is likely only good for perfect recall (i mod this param with the host) on slow attacks.. (or mod amplitude for an extra initial note).
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:32 am only a couple of the presets are patched, the rest are inherited from unrelated architecture
That explains it.

good to see you're still making great stuff! 👍

At the moment, I try to continue ( or finish ) banks for free VSti as Mota , Myrmidon , etc ... and for elders as Aerophone ( I added my bank today ) , Boing , pling , etc ...but: not enough time...

Return to “xoxos”