Is sonic birth still active?

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was wondering if sonic birth vs 2 is still happening or is it on indefinite hold or whats the story?

Thank you

Paul

I'm afraid there is no more development work goin' on.
Given that makira (SonicBirth coder) gave his last post on 25 Feb 2016...i hope at least his doing well and everything is fine in his life. :hug:

This is his last post here...dated 25 feb 2016 as i said
makira wrote:
deLaMancha wrote:Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if I could help in developing sonic birth 2.

I know quite a few things about low-level audio processing and I thought that maybe you could be could looking for such skills on this project.

However I don't know anything about gui programming or plugin compilation, and these actually seem to be the points where most of the focus was put.

Back in 2008 I was a fellow sb user. Actually, now that I think about it, this software could be the reason why I've studied signal processing...
I think sb offers the best compromise between simplicity of use (you don't have to be an audio wizard to make a plugin) and low-level features. I would really like to help maintaining it.

Thanks

Bye
Writing prebuilt circuits would be great. Just build reusable circuits, select them, use the 'Save selected circuit...', then send them to me, I'll bundle them with the app. If you know a bit of c++, you can also make modules in code form, though that should be reserved for things that cannot be done using prebuilt circuits.

Thats too bad. There is nothing else out that is quite like it in my opinion. Pd I guess? still I am not such a big fan of Pd's work flow, it forces you to use and think in a way that is counter to signal flow in my opinion. I like how sonic birth works more like a diagram. Make sense? I don't know c++ so sonic birth bridges the gap for me. Hope that this isn't totally dead in the water.

metalplatedface wrote:Thats too bad. There is nothing else out that is quite like it in my opinion. Pd I guess? still I am not such a big fan of Pd's work flow, it forces you to use and think in a way that is counter to signal flow in my opinion. I like how sonic birth works more like a diagram. Make sense? I don't know c++ so sonic birth bridges the gap for me. Hope that this isn't totally dead in the water.
Yeah. What was really promising about SonicBirth was the sample by sample signal model. PD is a great adn powerful tool but its model is buffer based (the same goes for Synthedit).
The same goes for Max and Reaktor but with Max gen~ and with Reaktor Core it is possible to work sample by sample.
Another intersting option is FAUST but its exporting model (based on its architecture scripts) is still more Mac and Linux oriented (as it is now no export for VST2/3 on 64bit Win, no export for .mxe64 Max externals, no export for Supercollider UGENS on 64 bit for Win).
But recently the JUCE export option seems pretty promising. But you have to learn a little C++ at least. It's not so hard and it's a good learning investment that grows in time!

Sadly i guess we are in a RIP situation for SonicBirth. No signs of active development since 1 year. :( :(

oh...and for PD VST export look at Camomille ;-)
https://github.com/pierreguillot/Camomile

And don't forget JsFX script on Reaper and the good 'ol Csound (with Cabbage you can export VST/i )
http://cabbageaudio.com/
http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php

Return to “SonicBirth”