Sugar Bytes GUITARIST released!

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Guitarist

POSSIBLE BUG (or I don't know what I'm doing):

The following doesn't seem to be functioning (in Cubase 6 64-bit on Windows 7 64-bit).

"The current pattern can be exported as a MIDI file to trigger different sound generators. You can export 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 or 16 bars. Just set the desired export length, then drag the icon onto a MIDI track in your sequencer."

While dragging, the cursor changes as expected, but when I release it on a track, nothing happens.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Does the addition of "manual chord playing" entail Guitarist would be able to be controlled by a midi guitar?

More thoughts...

Strum speed should be associated with the pattern preset and not the chord preset.

String levels should be associated with the sound preset and not the chord preset.

QUESTION:
Is there any rhyme or reason to how the chords are arranged in the preset chords boards? If there is some sort of logic to how they have been created, is that logic consistent from one chord board to the next?

FEATURE REQUESTS:
For songwriting I really have no idea how to use the preset chord boards, so I was thinking I would start by making some with major chord scales, and since I have two octaves to work with I would either use a single variation for one octave, and then use another variation for the other octave or put power chords there.

Okay, so let's say I am making a chord board for the C Maj chord scale. I would have C Maj, D Minor, E Minor, F Major, G Major, A Minor, B Diminished.

The first feature request would be to be able to set all the black keys in this instance to play nothing at all, and for the UI to show that there is no chord set for those keys. Maybe a black or red outline around the circle. In each scale there would be 5 keys that I would set to nothing. Playing them would do nothing.

So the write chord feature has two parameters, chord type, and variation. I would like to see one more parameter, the chord root itself, e.g., C, C#, D, D#, and so on. This would incredibly simplify creating chord boards from scratch.

Those two features would be excellent. If you wanted to take it to another level entirely, the ability to choose a key, and then the type of scale that would fill one octave of a chord board would be an awesome songwriting tool. So I might choose the key of A and Harmonic Minor, Locrian #6, Lydian #9, Pentatonic Blues, Mixolydian or whatever for the type of scale.

I think this would make Guitarist a powerful songwriting tool while making the chord board many times more intuitive. A chord board named, "Cool Verse" or "Stairway to Hell" doesn't mean anything to me at all. I have no idea how to work with them.

Something else to consider at this point then for a song preset is one more board so that you can assign keys to chord boards, and thus change chord boards in the middle of a song. This is something I personally probably wouldn't do very often, but folks who write more complex music would probably like to be able to change keys and maybe even modes in the song. I don't imagine more than 3 keys would need to be set aside for this feature for most popular music. 4 keys would add a little flexibility for more complex songs. It's common in a lot of music to shift from say a minor scale during the verse to a major scale during the chorus, or to transpose the scale of the song up for the last verse.

I hope you don't mind all my feature requests, and I understand that none of them may ever make it into the product. :)

I recently discovered Vir2 Electri6ity which has an amazing diversity of sound and authenticity with full expressive control from midi, but if you don't already own Kontact and want to use the full feature set of Electri6ity it is considerably more expensive than Guitarist. Also, from what I can tell it doesn't have any sort of sequencer or pattern library. I think the sequencer and pattern library are something that can really set Guitarist apart, particularly if it is refined a bit more to ease songwriting.

As I've mentioned before, I think Addictive Drums has about the best model for working with virtual instruments emulating the real thing. You have sound presets separate from pattern presets, and a lot of the pattern presets are broken up into verse, chorus, bridge, and middle8 ... plus fills, intros, and such. With non-percussive instruments you then have the added complexity of keys, but I think something very similar can be accomplished with Guitarist for a tool that can be used to rapidly craft songs.

Any news regarding the update?

Still can't grasp the single notes option, rico you mentioned guitarist can play single notes,and this has something to do with the animation area, can you explain in more detail?

Just interested in a single note via midi and without chords..

Anyone have any better explanation on this?

Sugar Bytes wrote: Yes, an update is coming, including accoustic guitars, manual chord playing,
noises, but there still some research is needed, so its a bit too early for too much promises.
Will this Acoustic-Guitar be free?
And when do you plan to do a Bass-Guitar ???
(I'm searching for a bass player in "my band"...) :hihi:

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

bobbybland wrote:Still can't grasp the single notes option, rico you mentioned guitarist can play single notes,and this has something to do with the animation area, can you explain in more detail?
On the main sequencer page you have that "Active" sequencer which
activates the strings to be strummed on a step. Its the one with all these black dots.
Here you can play single notes from a chord.

In the "Animations" sequencer you can shift the notes of the chords
in order to play melodies.

best
Rico

aikindoma wrote:Will this Acoustic-Guitar be free?
And when do you plan to do a Bass-Guitar ???
(I'm searching for a bass player in "my band"...) :hihi:
Hi, we have ideas for a bass guitar player.
We are thinking about Guitarist and acoustic guitar right now,
lets see,

best
Rico

Hi,

I'm interested in the Guitarist Application but I did notice a question regarding Sugarbyte's update policy on incremental updates and major updates. If later there are major enhancements to Guitarist will there be a cost for owners to upgrade?

Thanks for your time and look forward to the response.

PW77

Got my answer.

...and what was the answer (for those of us who are curious). :-)

--Sean

Ok, for those that want to know. Here is Rico's reply:

Hi,

if we do major upgrades like Guitarist2, there will be a small cost.

Such an update is not planned, but we plan a big and free maintenance update.

Maintenance updates are always free. We just released rtas updates for all plugins for free.

best

Rico

Hi I have another question.

In the animation page how do you scroll between each of the chord steps?

Thanks in advance

PW77

Hi,

I would recommend to lock a step of the chord sequencer
(using the lock icon button).
You can then let the pattern run with the locked chord
while you create the animation for that chord.

calling the chord steps directly from the animations page is a good idea,
I will keep this in mind ;)

best
Rico

No problem, happy I could help and thank You for your help!

I'm stilling trying the demo out but with the Xmas deal you have on, it's difficult not to press the buy button!

Thanks

PW77

Return to “Sugar Bytes”