Bogus virus warning by Norton 2010

Official support for: agitatedstate.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:x Bogus virus warning by Norton 2010 slams small software shops :x

I became aware of this issue when I received an email from one of my customers inquiring about the following:
While attempting to download, Norton Antivirus 2010 informs me that the MenuMagic installer is infected with WS.Reputation.1, and that the file has been deleted from my PC.

Is there a problem with Menu Magic 1.5.1.1?

If not, do you have a workaround for this issue?
Short answer - this is no virus problem, a link with information on the work around is located near the bottom of this post.

I use ESET Smart Security on all my systems.
They update my virus/spyware detection databases daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I originally purchased ESET when I ran the IT department for my previous day gig after using and comparing a number of other solutions. I was happy using it in a corporate environment and I am very happy using it with my company and at home.

The WS.Reputation.1 reported by Norton is not a virus warning, it means that this file has a low or no reputation among Norton users.
Considering that Norton has possibly tens of millions of users - MenuMagic will never have a high enough reputation to not have problem with such a system. If you work in a major corporation and never use anything but megacorp applications it might be a great system - but for anyone else this system is bullsh1t. :dog:

See the link below for more info on this issue.
What-is-WS-Reputation-1

I have submitted a couple of dispute claims and have received emails saying that they will get back to me within a couple of business days but who knows how long it will take them to process this and resolve it?

Here is a link on the Norton sight on how to get around this issue.

Clarification-on-WS-Reputation-1-detection
Look under: Restoring a file from Quarantine

What a major pain in the @ss. :x :cry: :bang:

...Steven
Last edited by TheSteven on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageCakewalk/Sonar Plugin Management Tools

Update - according to the "Symantec Insight Dispute team" this issue has been fixed for MenuMagic. Running Norton's LiveUpdate will fix the problem if you are still having issues.

Don't know if this 'fix' will apply for future updates or if I'll need to submit each release to Symantec if I want them to be on Norton's whitelist.

...Steven
ImageCakewalk/Sonar Plugin Management Tools

blah blah
just uninstall this norton crap
Oh wait, you cant really totally uninstall it, sorry

+1 for Eset.

:tu:

Like many others, I dumped Symantec's bloated machine-numbing un-removable products several years ago. Have you ever used their online "Knowledge Base?" It's a redundant hopeless helpless maze of useless tunnels that puts the Cretan labyrinth to shame.

But I'm not bitter, Symantec. I drive by your offices on 128 several times a week and never once tried to lob a bomb through your windows.

:)
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill...

Return to “Agitated State”