Monitors for a small semi-treated room (Dynaudio BM5 mkIII or Dynaudio LYD7? EDIT: bought Dynaudio Bm5 MkIII)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:22 am To this end, that high end harshness in the Adams is probably a step backwards from accuracy, isn't it?
It's mostly matter of taste, you really need to hear that to know do you appreciate it or not, especially their implementation of ribbon tweeters, as you know with any monitor you need to learn how it translates and naturally do you appreciate overall representation that it gives you, also how it works in your room, which is the most critical and unpredictable part.

You have your low end preference, I think that will play big part in your decision, they all strive to give you the flattest response, but that's just one of the aspects, as depth, imaging, details and etc, so good luck in your adventure.

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:22 am

The only thing I'm not sure about is what "sounds good to you" means in case of monitors, I thought monitors were supposed to sound honest and accurate rather than "good".
Forget about "honesty and accuracy" - there is a reason why there are so many different price ranges in speakers' market - the best solution usually is to find a guy that can DIY something decent for the money (the parts even in very expensive - like 10k - monitors are usually not very expensive). Btw, this Focal shape line is not bad
(Still, people listen on crappy speakers and award winning mix engineers have worked on records using stuff like cheap KRK speakers, so it is not about the gear. )

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 am how it works in your room, which is the most critical and unpredictable part.
Sure, I understand that despite my treatment efforts my room response is still far from being flat. That's why I'm also getting the Reference 4.
Passing Bye wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 am so good luck in your adventure.
I hope it's won't be much of an adventure, more like a matter of adapting to the new speakers. :)
anomandaris1 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:01 am (Still, people listen on crappy speakers and award winning mix engineers have worked on records using stuff like cheap KRK speakers, so it is not about the gear. )
Sure, and I do understand I'm not going to get ultimate accuracy in my room/within my budget. But I hope I can have reasonable improvement over my KRKs.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am I hope it's won't be much of an adventure, more like a matter of adapting to the new speakers. :)
Hope that too, you are really humble guy, heard your music, it's really great and I know you have great ears and knowledge to appreciate and differentiate other monitors, wish you all the best from my heart.

UBK Happy Funtime Hour
https://www.ubkhappyfuntimehour.com/#Episodes

...Episode 161 from 1:48...

SJ: My question is about acoustic treatment. I hear you talking about improving the three things that make the biggest impact on mixing being: your monitors, your room, and you. I have decent monitors, Focal CMS-40's, and headphones, Sennheiser HD600's. I am able to put together decent mixes but my room is small and untreated, 8' x 9' & 8' ceiling. I also rent so any treatment I do has to be temporary and removable. Also because I rent I probably won't be able to go full-nerd on my treatment. What do you think are the top 2 or 3 things I can do to treat my room?

GS: Damn that's 8 by 9 by 8 that's a small room. That's almost a fuckin cube. [pause] That's got some stuff goin' on in there. And I know this cause I had a room that was not much bigger, maybe even a little smaller, when I was in Manhattan and I lived in the West Village cause everything is small in Manhattan. I think that room was probably 6 by 8 with 8 foot ceilings...
...I was recalling the Manhattan room because I was thinking what did I do in that room...regarding the acoustics I remember I went to a place in Brooklyn that sold rigid fibreglass. I bought about $400 or $500 worth of 2 inch by 2 by 4 Rockwool panels and I sliced and diced them every which way that I could and I filled every corner. I did little wedge-shaped triangular pieces that I stacked up on the corner but they were small wedges, I know that people do what's called superchunking which is basically you take an entire 2 x 4 Rockwool and you cut it in 4 pieces and you get these big triangles and you stuff those in the corner. I didn't quite have enough money to do that so I so I made triangles that were about 8 inches by 6 inches...so I'm stacking those things up in the corner so I at least had some Rockwool in every corner...straddled across the corners. I put them in the first reflection points, so wherever the monitors would bounce off the wall and go directly to my ear, on those points I would put a panel, and I had 2 panels hanging over my head. It sounded pretty decent in there I must say and I did some relatively good mixes in there and it helped that my monitors were small. I had Truth Audio TA-1P's which were MTM style monitors, not very well known speakers and they've since been discontinued, amazing imaging, but their woofers were I think 4.5 inches. So these are small speakers that didn't overwhelm the room with bass and I think that's really critical when you're in a small room. I don't think you even want a 6" woofer in a room that small. You want 5 inches tops. So I don't know what those Focal's have, I could probably Google that but I'm too lazy. If you're Focal's have a bigger woofer than that I'm gonna recommend downsizing your monitors or getting a second set that are smaller. I recommend Dynaudio BM5a's, those are amazing little monitors, and they will give you a tight nice presentation in the bottom end, so that's what I would do, I would just fucken load up the corners with fibreglass, first reflection points and a little cloud over my head...and the first thing I would do is literally spend an afternoon moving those speakers around the room in every possible position listening and measuring and listening and measuring and listening to music that I like and trying to get a good response based on just where the monitors are sitting in the room, that would be my baseline and then I would treat it...
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:49 pm
recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am I hope it's won't be much of an adventure, more like a matter of adapting to the new speakers. :)
Hope that too, you are really humble guy, heard your music, it's really great and I know you have great ears and knowledge to appreciate and differentiate other monitors, wish you all the best from my heart.
Thanks a lot, mate :)
spunkmuffin wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm I don't think you even want a 6" woofer in a room that small. You want 5 inches tops
I've got similar kind of room treatment and a bit bigger room, 8x9 feet is 6.5 sq meters, mine is about 10 sq m and it's more rectangular. Don't remember the exact figures but i think it's like 2.7 x 3.7 meters.

I can't say I'm happy with the bass response of my 5 inch KRKs, basically it's not enough bass. There is a point in my room, where my chair is standing, where it's sort of ok, but I do want bigger bass.

Well, probably the question must be: how big must the room be in order to handle 6.5- 7 inch speakers?

If my room is still too small I may consider Dynaudio BM5a, I've heard good things about the brand and they fit the budget.

Ohhh, check out Neumann KH 120 too, it might be just the ticket for your room.

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:22 am Thanks a lot, guys! :)

I'll check if our shops allow testing speakers at home before buying. The only thing I'm not sure about is what "sounds good to you" means in case of monitors, I thought monitors were supposed to sound honest and accurate rather than "good". To this end, that high end harshness in the Adams is probably a step backwards from accuracy, isn't it?

I don't have much experince with different monitors, I only ever had these KRKs.

I also wanted to know if there were any known technical issues with either of these models, or other things I should be aware of, or if any of these was better suited for small rooms like mine, e.g. because of the woofer design and such.

Yes, Presonus Sceptre might be an option too.
You want good resolution - being able to distinctly hear the frequency range but you don't want something that is going cause ear fatigue or isn't enjoyable to work with. It's a matter of using references and letting your ears get used to the speakers and room. After your spec sheet satisfies your power, frequency response and THD requirements, everything else - and probably the most important practical aspects - are purely subjective.

I don't think I would go any larger than my CMS 50s in the room I currently use (10 by 11 ft) with a ceiling sloping up and away behind me (from 7 to 8 ft).

Dynaudio are pretty good speakers. Probably a better choice than Adams.
Do you have the possibility to try some out?
Still would give the Focals a chance though.
My PSI A17m’s - don’t have them anymore - went down and while sending them back for repairs I rented some KRK’s - can’t remember what ones - and to be honest found them not sooo bad, even after the PSI’s. Go figure!
I have a pair of Focal Trio 11be now and love em.
Good luck with your search..
listened to your tracks... nice mixes.

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:25 pm Ohhh, check out Neumann KH 120 too, it might be just the ticket for your room.
Just listened to these in a store, was actually very impressed by the punch and clarity of the bass. It was a psytrance track, very similar in style to what im trying to make. Overall they seem to sound very nice as far as i can tell from a short listen in an unteated space.

Sadly they don't give the speakers for home testing.

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:25 pm Ohhh, check out Neumann KH 120 too, it might be just the ticket for your room.
Just listened to these in a store, was actually very impressed by the punch and clarity of the bass. It was a psytrance track, very similar in style to what im trying to make. Overall they seem to sound very nice as far as i can tell from a short listen in an unteated space.
Did you heard anything else there?
Bummer, are there any stores that do that in your area or maybe there's return policy you can take advantage of?

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:13 pm
recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Did you heard anything else there?
Bummer, are there any stores that do that in your area or maybe there's return policy you can take advantage of?
Only listened to these, there were no other models that would interest me and the shop was about to close.

There are some other shops but from what i can tell from our local forums giving speakers for testing before a purchase poesn't seem to be common. Most gear is actually sold online here.

also they told me i can't return the speakers unless there's a defect.

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:41 pm

If my room is still too small I may consider Dynaudio BM5a, I've heard good things about the brand and they fit the budget.
The BM5's are freakin' amazing. I've had two pairs and still have one. The mid range detail on them is remarkable, and I much preferred them over the Adam's or Focals.

In fact, I'm selling my (virtually new) BM5's, but only because I've upgraded to Core 47s :wink:

Dynaudio fanboy, confirmed.

For the record I've also owned a pair of KH120's, and although they're good I much prefer the detail on the Dynaudio's.

Can you order from Thomann?

kelvyn wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:01 pm Dynaudio are pretty good speakers. Probably a better choice than Adams.
tehlord wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:42 pm The BM5's are freakin' amazing. I've had two pairs and still have one. The mid range detail on them is remarkable, and I much preferred them over the Adam's or Focals.

In fact, I'm selling my (virtually new) BM5's, but only because I've upgraded to Core 47s :wink:

Dynaudio fanboy, confirmed.

For the record I've also owned a pair of KH120's, and although they're good I much prefer the detail on the Dynaudio's.
Just checked, there are few models in my budget - Dynaudio LYD 5 ( 5 inch), Dynaudio BM5 mkIII and Dynaudio LYD 7 (both 7 inch).

So yet again, it's the choice between 5 inch and 7 inch, blows my mind actually :? There seems to be no definitve guide about room size vs woofer size (or is there?) - the only thing I can tell is that 8 inch must be too much.
Passing Bye wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:45 pm Can you order from Thomann?
I think I can, but I never did. Though it seems I managed to find a decent shop with a show room and a reasonable return policy in my area.
kelvyn wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:01 pm listened to your tracks... nice mixes.
Thanks! :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”