This is normal? glue thread on a speaker cone (from the dust cap to the surround)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

I've recently purchased two pair of speakers, one of them was a pair of Behringer Media 50 USB. Some hours after the unboxing, I noticed a problem; there was glue on the pasive speaker. I've contacted the customer support of a certain online shop, but after some e-mail exchange I didn't received another response.

I post this here since I've read some times that a bit of glue near the dust cap is normal, but I'm not sure if this:

is normal. I think that the thread is very well attached to the cone since on the mid of the thread it thickens, and (I think) that it is glue since if you point direclty a light to the thread, it shines, it doesn't seem to be a scratch.

PS: I haven't done much tests, so, I don't really know if there are sonical problems with this speaker, I haven't turned on the speakers since tuesday.

EDIT: Link to the photos, bigger size than the forum ones:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czkq7nncq17rx ... r.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d4p3melptjvj ... t.JPG?dl=0

No it's not normal, it's a QC issue.

I wonder if someone was trying to un-pop the cone?

tehlord wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:30 pm No it's not normal, it's a QC issue.
I see, many thanks for the clarification.
Keith99 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 pm I wonder if someone was trying to un-pop the cone?
Who knows, but if that was the case, how much it will cost a cone made of paper? I think that the problem would have been resolved changing the defective cone by another, but as you said, maybe the problem came when the cone was attached (altough I don't see any wrinkles or any signs that indicates a repair on the cone).

Well, that's all, many thanks for the responses, but the shop answered my mail some hours ago and they doesn't seem very willing to pick up the speakers, who knows how it this will end.

Regards.

Test. If both speakers sound close to the same then the glue string doesn't matter. At that price it is doubtful that any pair of speakers would MEASURE exactly the same. But they ought to be close enough that you can't hear much or any difference if you have the two speakers side-by-side and A/B between them. If you A/B test them several feet apart, in a room, they will sound/measure different because of your ears and room acoustics.

If they both work and sound about the same, who cares if it has a glue string?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”