I've made an error purchasing this mixer? help!.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. I'm a novice in regards to this matter, so, please excuse me for my lack of knowlegde.

I've purchased a Behringer Xenyx 1202 FX mixer, and I have some doubts:

I want to use it to mix several instruments at once and apply some effects in real time. To hear the mix, I want to purchase a pair of Mackie CR4, wich have two umbalanced/balanced TRS jacks.

My first problem cames from one page of the manual, the one that describes the MAIN OUT jacks:

"MAIN MIX - The main OUT connectors are umbalanced mono jacks. The main mix signal appears here at a level of 0 dBu. The MAIN MIX fader adjusts the volume of these outputs"

what means "Appears here at a level of 0 dBu"? what would this mean if I want to use a normal pair of studio monitors with this mixer?.

My second problem cames from another page of the manual and the rear of the Mackie CR4:

as you can see on the diagram, two PA Speakers are connected to the MAIN OUT jacks, these output jacks aren't suitable for studio monitors like the Mackie CR4?.

By other hand, on the rear of the CR4 I can see this:

"TRS (BAL/UNBAL)" would means "TS/TRS "? a normal mono jack (1 ring) vs a balanced jack? (two rings).

Hello and many thanks for your time.

EDIT: Wrong model (Two XLR VS Four), sorry for that, I fixed the image.
Last edited by Juno60 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

You just need 2 unbalanced ts to ts cables.

The main difference appears to be that the Main Mix out level is controlled by the main faders and the other outs are set at 0db (not adjustable) which is line level ... the Mackies will work with balanced or unbalanced cables, so they'll work with either output from the mixer using unbalanced cables.

what means "Appears here at a level of 0 dBu"? what would this mean if I want to use a normal pair of studio monitors with this mixer?.
dBu is decibels Unity. Decibels are always relative, dBu means relative to a standard reference level. For instance a sine wave of 1000 Hz and an amplitude of 1 volt could be the referenced "zero" level. Professional equipment uses +4dBu while consumer audio equipment uses -10dBV (about -8dBu). See wikipedia article for details.

Bottom line: if the VU meter of master out of the mixer says the level is zero, then it is somewhat loud for consumer devices and somewhat soft for professional devices. You could say it fits both. For monitors, which often have a gain knob of their own, it does not matter much.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I'm very sorry for the late reply, and many thanks for the replies!.
Forgotten wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:38 pm You just need 2 unbalanced ts to ts cables.
Thanks for the info!.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 pm The main difference appears to be that the Main Mix out level is controlled by the main faders and the other outs are set at 0db (not adjustable) which is line level ... the Mackies will work with balanced or unbalanced cables, so they'll work with either output from the mixer using unbalanced cables.
Yes, you are right. I've checked again the manual, and as you said, one of the outs are set to 0db, on this case, the MAIN MIX, other outs can be controlled with the MAIN SECTION fader, many thanks!.
BertKoor wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:08 pm
dBu is decibels Unity. Decibels are always relative, dBu means relative to a standard reference level. For instance a sine wave of 1000 Hz and an amplitude of 1 volt could be the referenced "zero" level. Professional equipment uses +4dBu while consumer audio equipment uses -10dBV (about -8dBu). See wikipedia article for details.

Bottom line: if the VU meter of master out of the mixer says the level is zero, then it is somewhat loud for consumer devices and somewhat soft for professional devices. You could say it fits both. For monitors, which often have a gain knob of their own, it does not matter much.
I consider this information relevant and useful, I will anotate if for future reference, thanks!.

I thank you again for your time and responses, thanks!.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”