Help - New studio monitors doing noise

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

So I finally bought a pair of audio monitors (JBL 306 Mk2).

But they both make constantly a bit of noise, barely audible at the beginning, and it is only audible in silence when nothing is playing. When they play the sound is excellent, in my modest opinion, but once I stop the music there it is, a noise that sound like static of low frequency.

The noise is there even if there is nothing connected to the monitors, as soon as I turn them on and turn the audio up (position 2 out of 10) they make this noise.

Is this normal?
Both monitors do it, so probably not a defect, I guess. I am not used to studio monitors but I did not expect them to do this noise...

Can I do anything to stop or reduce this noise

Thanks in advance.

active monitors generally hiss as they're outputting full volume and you control it with the level entering the speaker.

humming is a different ball game and could be anything from a ground loop to something being too close to your audio interface.
Have you tried turning off all your gear apart from the monitors to see if the hum is still present? When I hear hum from my monitors it's usually down to an unused distortion pedal or the modular synth connected to my mixer when I don't have the gate switched on.

As mentioned above it could be some electrical interference ... is there a fridge, air conditioner, heater or anything else running when the noise happens. Can you take the monitors somewhere else to test them?

A little bit of barely audible hiss is normal enough, but not a static low frequency noise.
pc999 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:40 am The noise is there even if there is nothing connected to the monitors, as soon as I turn them on and turn the audio up (position 2 out of 10) they make this noise.

Is this normal?

U using xlr or trs cables not ts?

I send 75% volume from the interface and control the rest from the speakers :hyper:

WOW, Thanks for the replies guys :tu:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm U using xlr or trs cables not ts?

I send 75% volume from the interface and control the rest from the speakers :hyper:
I am using xlr cables. But it is happening even if not connected and have the speakers on 50% and the interface (actually a akay force) on about 50%.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:29 pm
A little bit of barely audible hiss is normal enough, but not a static low frequency noise.
It is more like a "in between radio stations" kind of noise.

But it is not a high frequency noise, like it happens in a microphone feedback loop. Probably static is the wrong expression. :dog:

wickfut wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 pm active monitors generally hiss as they're outputting full volume and you control it with the level entering the speaker.

humming is a different ball game and could be anything from a ground loop to something being too close to your audio interface.
Have you tried turning off all your gear apart from the monitors to see if the hum is still present? When I hear hum from my monitors it's usually down to an unused distortion pedal or the modular synth connected to my mixer when I don't have the gate switched on.
It happens even when it is the only thing powered in the room, so I guess it is not a ground loop. Anyway, I need to see the video you posted with more time, but I have everything connected to the same plug so it shouldn't be that, from what I have seen in the video.

If I recall correctly hum is a kind of single low frequency that is constantly sounding, but this is more like random frequencie,s like it is amplifying whatever it is in the air, so it should be hiss.

So I, guess this is normal :D

Thank you all again :!:

The reason for the hiss is because of the class D amplifiers used in the 306. the 305s and 308s have it too.

Do a little a test:

Make sure the JBLs power is off
disconnect your TRS / XLR cables from the speakers
Turn them back on

If the hiss is there, it's the amps within the JBLs. You could experiment by plugging the JBLs into different outlets on the off chance it's your power in your living space. I've tried different outlets, but got the same results. You'll hear it with a lot of monitors in this price range in varying degrees, so I wouldn't overthink it too much.

I use Kali LP-8s and their self hiss is slightly worse than the JBLs, but I've learned to tune it out.

transmisser wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:38 am The reason for the hiss is because of the class D amplifiers used in the 306. the 305s and 308s have it too.

Do a little a test:

Make sure the JBLs power is off
disconnect your TRS / XLR cables from the speakers
Turn them back on

If the hiss is there, it's the amps within the JBLs. You could experiment by plugging the JBLs into different outlets on the off chance it's your power in your living space. I've tried different outlets, but got the same results. You'll hear it with a lot of monitors in this price range in varying degrees, so I wouldn't overthink it too much.

I use Kali LP-8s and their self hiss is slightly worse than the JBLs, but I've learned to tune it out.
Thanks for the reply, It became buried on the notifications and I happen to just notice it now.

pc999 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, It became buried on the notifications and I happen to just notice it now.
No worries! Hope it works out for you.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”