Korg wavestate

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there similar VSTis, capable of setting any waveform per step sequencer, etc? I remember there were, but I forgot. Except wavestation vst of course.

...Maybe any wavetable synth? :hihi: Nah, since here, also each step can have other parameters, too, like different ADSR?

lfm wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 pm It seems incredibly cool, I must say.
Thank you!
lfm wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 pm How it establish a free memory location is unclear - they mention thousands would be possible.
"Storage for tens of thousands of user Performances"
If that is with usb something connected.
It's all internal.
Regarding free memory locations: I understand why you'd ask. Most synths have slots for storage, like "Bank C, Program/Patch/Thingy 82." The wavestate has Set Lists if you'd like to organize sounds this way, but internally it's simply a big database, with no intrinsic numbering, banks, etc. So, you can just save.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 pm Are there similar VSTis, capable of setting any waveform per step sequencer, etc? I remember there were, but I forgot. Except wavestation vst of course.

...Maybe any wavetable synth? :hihi: Nah, since here, also each step can have other parameters, too, like different ADSR?
The Lanes are really the big difference. See, for instance, https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=590
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:07 pm
lfm wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:58 am When it comes to user samples - how does that usually work compared to samplers?
You get x amount of space for your samples, then off you go. The rest depends on the sample playback implementation, in most cases yeah you gotta make a keymap.

KingKorg didn't have user sample memory.
Thank you.

Yes, I got that KK wrong, mixed memory of PCM oscillators and mic input oscillator.

User samples - better to do less really good than trying to reach for everything. KK was a bit like that IMHO, huge amount of options for oscillators and filters - but so much menu diving that spoiled it.

I find Prologue work really well with the 8 buttons to reach a menu you want, and in the backbone really quick what is where.

Hard to say about WS yet - how fun it is - but really spans interesting ground.

Loopop review did just volume demo of vector joystick - but disconnect that and do parameters on the 4 layers is more intriguing. Even having those parameters part of stick can themselves be modulated so you shift ground beneath the stick and change what it does.

And 8 assignable mod knobs on top of that.
"You can use the Mod Knobs in real-time performance, and also save the results as new sounds. The names are suggestions; they will do different things depending on the specific sound. The values are stored, and can themselves be modulated. Each Layer’s Program has its own set of Mod Knobs, and an overall set of Performance Mod Knobs can control any or all Layers at once. Sometimes, one knob (such as 1/MASTER) may enable the functionality of other knobs."

This is mindblowing. People riot over MPE - but it's here, kind of, in real time expression ability. Joystick and mod knobs.

Live gigging musicians maybe use a larger keyboard to play WS, but have controls on it available - those that feel 37 keys are not enough. But for leads it's probably enough as it is.

With this price point I think Korg can come back and make a sampler and explore that fully - rather make a pinky finger approach in Wavestate. Really useful with the memory left to keep that for performances or presets overall.

What I tried to find for Wavestate was a full list of what sample sounds are there?

Went back and looked for more documents - and just a quickstart guide and a cautions guide something. Manual stated some examples that resembled some GM instrument sounds. But no clue how many. There are 1000 Wave sequences - but that also incorporate lanes stuff, so could be based on same samples - not sure how many unique. But not a deal breaker - just curious.

danatkorg wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 pm
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 pm Are there similar VSTis, capable of setting any waveform per step sequencer, etc? I remember there were, but I forgot. Except wavestation vst of course.

The Lanes are really the big difference. See, for instance, https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=590
Oh yes, that reads great!

lfm wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 pm How it establish a free memory location is unclear - they mention thousands would be possible.
"Storage for tens of thousands of user Performances"
If that is with usb something connected.
A "Performance" is a patch, what Korg call a "Combination" on their workstation synths. It would only require a few kb of storage.
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:56 amPaging file is on hard drive and inherently slower than RAM, even if it's an SSD. Not fast enough for ad hoc retrieval without any sort of preload.
Of course it is. If I can record 8 channels simultaneously through USB, then a paging file can handle serving up a few samples in real time.
And it's indeed 6 GB of samples inside, confirmed in many reviews.
Point me to on, please. All Korg are saying is "gigabytes" and "1000 times more than the original Wavestation". But I still haven't seen anything that suggests it can load random samples.
Battery, Groove Agent, pretty much any drum machine does exactly this, software or hardware.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

No, I meant just like Korg Wavestate, not a drummachine of course. I love this synth, but I won't buy any hardware synth, since I know I'll never will integrate in then into an arrangement/use it in a song. I guess Korg won't release a VSTi of this, too.

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:47 pmOf course it is. If I can record 8 channels simultaneously through USB, then a paging file can handle serving up a few samples in real time.>
When you record audio to hard drive, your DAW is using a RAM buffer before writing to the slow hard drive... So you're wrong.

Page file is too slow for ad hoc sample retrieval, period. Seek time of most is not enough, especially if sample is repitched higher than its root pitch, etc.
BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:47 pmPoint me to on, please. All Korg are saying is "gigabytes" and "1000 times more than the original Wavestation".
For example:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...020-namm-show/

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/korg-wavestate.html

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:29 am No, I meant just like Korg Wavestate, not a drummachine of course. I love this synth, but I won't buy any hardware synth, since I know I'll never will integrate in then into an arrangement/use it in a song. I guess Korg won't release a VSTi of this, too.
Rapid comes to mind as the closest available VST. It gets that type of sound with 7 layers of WT each with advanced sequencers. Not the same obviously, but in the ball park and a great sounding synth for moving and layered pads.

Zone is probably the closed to the lanes Paradigm, but you’d 1 layer.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:40 am Without a display the configuration options must be pretty limited, surely?
Not really. All the parameters are labeled around the perimeter of the device, and the grid itself serves as a display when adjusting parameters.

I think the earlier point was that Wavestate supports polyphonic aftertouch, and so a controller such as the LinnStrument could be used to send that information. A Seaboard would be just as good an option for that.

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about new synths not supporting full MPE. After all, it is an official part of the MIDI spec now, and one would think a major manufacturer like Korg would implement it wherever possible. On the other hand, based on my own experience with MPE controllers and how I use them, the lack of support on this particular synth isn’t a dealbreaker for me.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

No VST is quite the same

deastman wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:55 pmI’m not entirely sure how I feel about new synths not supporting full MPE. After all, it is an official part of the MIDI spec now, and one would think a major manufacturer like Korg would implement it wherever possible.
No manufacturer supports the full MIDI spec. Never have. They pick and choose what they think makes sense for the thing they are making/selling. In this case, I imagine they foresaw a conflict between MPE and multi-timbrality and decided the easy path, possibly the only one, was to choose one over the other. e.g. How would a multi-timbral synth know which part should respond to the MPE data and what would happen to the other parts once MPE took over all 16 channels?

I imagine a multi-timbral synth would need multiple MIDI IN ports, probably via USB, to work properly. Then everyone would complain that it's MIDI via USB and not 5 pin DIN.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:09 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:47 pmOf course it is. If I can record 8 channels simultaneously through USB, then a paging file can handle serving up a few samples in real time.>
When you record audio to hard drive, your DAW is using a RAM buffer before writing to the slow hard drive... So you're wrong.

Page file is too slow for ad hoc sample retrieval, period. Seek time of most is not enough, especially if sample is repitched higher than its root pitch, etc.
If a HDD was not fast enough to write data the system is receiving to disk in realtime then the recording would drop out after the memory buffer is full (which is clearly not the case with 8 channel recording).

Retrieving reasonable sized samples off an SSD should be possible, not only is their read (and write) latency sub MS, but they can read off (say a 1 MB sample) at 3000MB/s (on an NVME SSD).
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:09 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:47 pmPoint me to on, please. All Korg are saying is "gigabytes" and "1000 times more than the original Wavestation".
For example:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...020-namm-show/

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/korg-wavestate.html
Over on GS one of the guys who designed the thing says the 6GB number is wrong and I would take his word over any reviewer.

Size doesn't matter, its what you do with it that counts.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Does this thing have a randomizer function like the iWavestation app? I’m actually surprised that randomizers aren’t implemented more often. Only VirSyn as a company and a couple other products (Reaktor, and...??) seem to have such a function. Is that to protect the market for preset sales? :hihi:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”