Korg wavestate

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:22 pm IMHO you really don't need MPE with this one. It's a different sort of beast...
I was thinking the same thing... it does support PolyAT so I can play it with Linnstrument (assuming I were to buy one)

The bummer for me is no user samples. That would make it irresistible!

Watch it come with a great VST editor while the existing Wavestation VST remains un-updated.

Sheeesh..

So, it does look good and I’m tempted but am I correct that it doesn’t use the Korg SDK for user plugins? That’s a shame.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:51 pm Yeah, and then some. :)
Cool :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

BBFG# wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:14 pm Especially with what Editor/Librarian they are packaging with it.
And what version driver they're starting it with...
Manual states that usb is class compliant and they skipped their midi driver it seems. Probably why some VST is dropped too.

I had so many issues with Korg midi driver anyway, both with KingKorg and Prologue - just as well they do it class compliant.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:32 pmThen it wouldn't have worked on your precious 32-bit system, because this thing has 6 GB of samples (and they need to be in RAM for superfast access, so no direct from disk streaming). :lol:
Only the samples for the patch you are using need to be in RAM, a few hundred MB at most, the rest can quite happily live on a drive somewhere.
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:46 pmCurrent Korg Collection still works on W7. I have it on my old laptop. But yes, 64-bit only.
Nope. Odyssey has only ever been 64 bit. It was the thing that motivated me to move to 64 bit. So you might have an older collection that works in 32 bit but not all of the current one will.
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:26 pmNo MPE no luck with me...
Right, because this is exactly the kind of synth you'd be using for all your fancy solo shreds. There is already ore than enough hands-on control via both a joystick and pitch bend and mod wheels. Seriously, if you think everything you buy needs MPE support, you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're doing. None at all.
pdxindy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:08 amI was thinking the same thing... it does support PolyAT so I can play it with Linnstrument (assuming I were to buy one)
Is that right? You can't use a Linnstrument at all without PolyAT? Seems a bit limiting. I can use my Roli with absolutely anything that supports MIDI.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:39 pm It's internal memory, you don't have to have anything connected to USB.
Thanks.

It seems they had a GB or so left over from samples or something to just give way for presets - that is really nice.

And presets for lanes and wave sequence and programs you can make blocks you resuse.

Also like the thinking with the randomization thingy - to make accidents happend you would never think of. And on different levels how wide down to a parameter.

OMG - I'm getting more hooked on getting one.....soooo much up to imagination what you can do.

Andertons stated 7 days delivery - is it released as NAMM start then?

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:43 am Is that right? You can't use a Linnstrument at all without PolyAT? Seems a bit limiting. I can use my Roli with absolutely anything that supports MIDI.
You can use the Linnstrument configured how you want... regular midi mode, with MPE, MPE per row etc.

All configured easily in the Linnstrument itself, no computer needed

Without a display the configuration options must be pretty limited, surely?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Where is the popcorn? ———

And here is mr. BONES how we love him. He just knows how the world has to turn around...
BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:43 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:26 pmNo MPE no luck with me...
Right, because this is exactly the kind of synth you'd be using for all your fancy solo shreds. There is already more than enough hands-on control via both a joystick and pitch bend and mod wheels. Seriously, if you think everything you buy needs MPE support, you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're doing. None at all.
Obviously you have no idea what I am doing! (And of course I have no idea what you are doing...)
I am kind of interested in one, exactly one hardware synth to play in the park. And I don’t mean a synth park like Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman...
And I do some secret conspirational politics to make every synth developer and potential synth player aware of the importance of expressive synthesis...; - )
This will remain the first question I pose whenever a new synth pops up! And you will deliver the popcorn for sure, you cannot resist and help the case that way... :clap:
:band2:

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:43 amOnly the samples for the patch you are using need to be in RAM, a few hundred MB at most, the rest can quite happily live on a drive somewhere.
Except in Wavestate every single step of every single wave sequence can randomly access any of the thousands of samples available, through probability etc. So ALL samples need to be in RAM, period.

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:40 am Without a display the configuration options must be pretty limited, surely?
No, config options of LinnStrument are very comprehensive, and self-contained (they don't need a computer to be changed). The button grid itself IS the display. Watch some videos about it :)

do i get a discount if i have the V1 wavestation 50% would be nice :)

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:40 am Without a display the configuration options must be pretty limited, surely?
Quite capable actually...

One can switch each of the most important settings in about 2 seconds on the fly... even on a dark stage would be no problem.

Deeper stuff like setting the CC# for say Timbre to any number other than the default 74 takes a few more seconds. For values like that, the whole pad grid functions as a low res screen and you just swipe left or right to raise/lower values.

It has an arpeggiator too... which works with the pitch slides and the other per voice parameters.

The interface is brilliant imo. It also has standard din midi so you can connect it directly to older hardware

I was thinking more like things such as tailoring the various response curves to the way you play (or want the instruments you are playing to respond). I can't imagine it would be a simple task without a display of some kind.
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:44 amObviously you have no idea what I am doing! (And of course I have no idea what you are doing...)
Unless you have 48 arms and can play everything live at once, I have a enough of an idea what you are doing to say what I said.
I am kind of interested in one, exactly one hardware synth to play in the park. And I don’t mean a synth park like Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman...
Well get an Uno and learn how to use it. Job done. But if what you say is true, then the reason you'd not be interested in this is that it doesn't run on batteries.
And I do some secret conspirational politics to make every synth developer and potential synth player aware of the importance of expressive synthesis...; - )
Which has bugger-all to do with MPE compatibility in this instance. Wavestate will be able to do pretty much anything any MPE compatible synth can do without the faffing around. With velocity, release velocity and polyphonic after-touch it has the necessary ingredients for full polyphonic expressivity.
This will remain the first question I pose whenever a new synth pops up! And you will deliver the popcorn for sure, you cannot resist and help the case that way... :clap:
:band2:
And I will try to always be here to provide some real-world common sense to balance your idiocy.
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:34 amExcept in Wavestate every single step of every single wave sequence can randomly access any of the thousands of samples available, through probability etc. So ALL samples need to be in RAM, period.
First up, that would be the perfect use for a paging file (virtual RAM) or, if this random wave function actually exists (not seen it mentioned anywhere), maybe it picks the random samples ahead of time, staying one or more steps ahead of the output? But even if it doesn't do any of that, Korg's vagueness around how much there is leads me to think it's probably only around 2GB, quite possibly less, which any 32 bit system can handle.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”