Needest most in synths today - more waveforms, more nodes on envelopes or configurable filters?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My first synth a Casio CZ1000 in 1985 had envelopes for both amp, and filter and pitch - and 8 nodes on each.

That opened for things not in every synth today - I have in softsynths like Dimension Pro. But hardware stick to ADSR at the most, with possible exceptions.

What does it take to generate new timbres that are interesting?

Fiddling with Izotope Trash 15 years ago - I found most interesting for guitar tone was cabinet emulations - various box types, some very creative box.

In boxes, that emulate acoustics, kind of, you get various resonances - not only one that most synths allow in their VCF.

So figured - why not like you see on eq-plugins with a selection of resonance points, crossover frequencies - and configurable Q-value on those.

Nordlead has a notch+lp filter - where the lp end has resonance to it then.

What I found is that larger number of waveforms are not the same as getting resonances - and not all that interesting.

I would like to see loads of crossover frequencies each with their own q-value and amount - like sweepable filters as parametric eq's can do - but multiple.

In multi timbre synths you can load different parts and have BP placed differently - and key tracking/follow off - kind of thing to get closer to something like I mention.

I Nordlead I can do 4 parts - so investigating this territory right now - I think I am on the way a little bit.

What do you want to see as the most creative new thing in synths?
I think I'd say a bunch of sweepable parametric filters, bass, mid, treble kind of thing.

It's also the most undervalued stomp box - I have crossover frequency, amount, width(q-value resonance) - and that do a lot of intresting things to tube stages in particular, where you can decide which frequencies saturate first.

Thanks for sharing.

imo, its about two things now;
User interface/control/gui. Like, i.e. how far away from a 'mod matrix' can we get. How far, how intuitive, how deep, can it get?
And, DAW interface/control/integration. Like, how can these patches be intertwined with the track in the DAW?
ImageLine is working on some kind of in-daw modular routable voltage control system, and it seems like thats where things should go. Dunno if its VST3 that makes that kind of stuff possible, but with all the standardization, integration between tools seems important.

Talking strictly vst synths, Im not as sophisticated as some, but limited waveforms is what really kills things for me.
Phase Plant has kind of changed things for me. I think if we can have super modular systems like that now, in vst, so why not? Thats what I want, I guess. It can be used to play one wav and one filter, or can load a cpu destroying ten wav patch. Its just all about controlling it and integrating with other parts of the daw now.
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks.
Yes, mod matrix - forgot about that - we cannot have enough there.

But more modular and in daw and stuff - did you see this:
https://karmafx.net/products

True modular stuff, even being polyphonic as you please.

Yea, the "real" modulars in software form are amazing.
I play with them, but I dont use them much. I feel like that is what we are moving past. They need not be cumbersome anymore. We want all that mayhem, but in a nice easy to use package.
ImageImageImageImage

New takes on supercomb filters a la Absynth :tu:
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”