THE Volca thread

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Volca Bass still makes me smile - 3 voices - 3 sequences - and I do a lot of layering with the Volca keys which plays really nicely with the MicroFreak. The only ones I don't have are the Volca Drum and NuBass. The Sampler is just a blast... so quick and easy and fun.

I am not enjoying the Modular very much. I may need more time with it as I had the same first impressions with the keys but I grew to really appreciate it. So far I like the idea more than I like the sound. The oscillator just doesn't sound appealing to my ears no matter how I patch it up. I'll give it time and perhaps I'll click with it.

I've done the Midi Out mod on most of the 7 Volca's I have (except the Modular and Kick). Overall I really like these little boxes and think that the limitations and features of each is what makes them compelling. They play very well with my other synths/keyboards. Glad to have them at my finger-tips.

Guess I'll have to collect the rest of the Volcas 🤦🏻‍♂️

Drum seems super useful, but I'm not sure about nubass.. Bass beats nubass every way?

A couple of fun links:

Hacked firmware for the FM (see the reddit thread for more details)

Fill your Sample with random sounds from freesound.org.
Image Image Image Image

That unofficial FM firmware is really comprehensive. I didn't realize that the author worked on the midi spec with CCs as well as adding new features. I thought it was just enabling velocity which I have with the RK-002 cable. I can now repurpose that cable ... thanks for providing those links sprnva!

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:42 pm I'm not sure about nubass.. Bass beats nubass every way?
I am not sure if Volca Bass beats it in every way.. I understand that the sequencer in Nubass is more powerful. I just don't like the tone of the Nubass from the audio demos and videos that I have have heard. It is also more expensive than the other Volcas so at that price point I start to look at other options.

Some more questionable live content with Drum/MinilogueXD/Reaktor6

https://soundcloud.com/fuzzyparts/tjdmxdsr6/s-aHhiw

I like my Sample quite a bit more now that it’s connected to recent purchase of Digitakt. Only downside is only 4mb of storage and file transfer. Kind of a pain but vosyr app isnt too bad I guess. Besides that, it’s a sweet little machine.

Couldn't help myself and bought a Volca Sample. Oh boy, a whole new world opened up! Didn't know that you can mess with samples so much that whole new sounds are created. It's almost like having a synth. The LED under No. 3 is broken so I have to send id it back for an exchange but I can't do without it yet.

Now I know why Public Enemy and the likes used samples so much. :)

MeneerJansen wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm Couldn't help myself and bought a Volca Sample. Oh boy, a whole new world opened up! Didn't know that you can mess with samples so much that whole new sounds are created. It's almost like having a synth. The LED under No. 3 is broken so I have to send id it back for an exchange but I can't do without it yet.

Yup. Was so adamant about never using samples, or at very least, never using samples I did not create besides drum samples. Having a device like the Sample made me realize sampling in it of itself is sort of like an instrument. I now randomly choose sounds and throw them into Volca and mess with them to get new sounds and a couple will find their way into a song nicely. Wipe clean, then load more random after a few weeks, and repeat.

The Korg Monotron was my stepping stone to the Volca Beats (elementary drum machine with fun stutter effect) - then I got a used Bass (lovely 3 voice bass, and more), FM (inspiring digital synth with so many presets) and Kick (not as powerful as I had hoped, but perhaps I should just RTFM).

The Sample doesn't tempt me, cause AFAIK it's just a sample player and I don't fancy building my own library and transfer it to and fro.

The Volca's convinced me hardware synths are fun for me, worth spending on.
A Behringer Model D and Neutron followed. And a Roland SE02.
Much too redundant to my liking, but the Volca Bass is so much fun, I don't think it's going anywhere.
I may sell the Beats and Kick later on, but they take so little space in my rack, they may as well stay for the time being.

A stand-out feature of the Volca is of course their portability (optional battery power, speaker) but mine ended up tied down in a rack, DAW-ready. At first I toyed with the idea of recording them with a little handheld recording device, but that would shave off the bass...

Just ordered the volca FM. Can’t wait to get my hands on it! :D :hyper:

And I'm having a gift card to our local music store. That gift card happens to be exactly the same amount as Volca Bass would cost :hyper:

I was thinking about buying this https://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_rx1602_v2.htm
16 inputs in a budget price. Hook all my other synths too to that and piece by piece collect all the Volcas and build a shelf for them. Or wall mount or something.

cptgone wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:13 pm I may sell the Beats and Kick
Where do you live? :D

Belgium :shrug:
In my experience, it's not hard to find used Volcas for sale.

MeneerJansen wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm Couldn't help myself and bought a Volca Sample. Oh boy, a whole new world opened up! Didn't know that you can mess with samples so much that whole new sounds are created. It's almost like having a synth. The LED under No. 3 is broken so I have to send id it back for an exchange but I can't do without it yet.

Agree, it's layeralicious and you can create really out-of-this-world ambiences :love:
And it's a swell drum tool...loving the 2 mono channels setup too, keeping the verb off.

On the other hand my FM will go on sale soon.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”