THE Volca thread

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

News, gossip, tracks.. Share anything Volca here.

Just received my black friday purchase Volca Sample and I can be pretty confident when I say that I FUKCING LOVE THAT DEVICE!!!! :hyper:

Anyone with all the Volcas? What's your favorite and why?

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 pm News, gossip, tracks.. Share anything Volca here.

Just received my black friday purchase Volca Sample and I can be pretty confident when I say that I FUKCING LOVE THAT DEVICE!!!! :hyper:

Anyone with all the Volcas? What's your favorite and why?
Volca Sample is probably my most inspirational instrument in my whole studio. Love it to bits.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Volca Modular is my favorite of the Volca line. I also have the Keys and Bass. I'll try to post a track in this thread soon that features some sweet analogue Volca goodness. :D

Russell Grand wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:33 pm Volca Modular is my favorite of the Volca line. I also have the Keys and Bass. I'll try to post a track in this thread soon that features some sweet analogue Volca goodness. :D
Please do :love:

I need to learn Sample more before I can make anything release ready.

The Volca's are cheap and nice for the price. However, save up about €100 more and you can buy something 10,000 better. That's the big difference between the Volca's and, for instance, the Korg Monologue, Arturia Microfreak, UNO Drum & Synth, etc. For €100 more than those machines you do not get a whole lot more.

Having said that, I love my Volca Keys. Even managed to make my own poor man's version of 'On The Run' (Pink Floyd).

Every year I consider buying the Volca Sample. What people achieve with it on Youtube is great! I love old school low-bit drum samplers. However, its weird quirky way of loading your own samples into it always holds me back. I think that that will get irritating pretty soon and then my V. Sample ends up in the closet with other cheap gear that is "just that" bit to un-intuitive to use when you've not got the manual in hand.

The Volca FM is compatible w/ Yamaha DX-7 patches, of which there are countless! Supersmart move by Korg. Yamaha themselves completely missed the boat w/ their own small cheap DX remake: the Reface DX. It's 4 operator instead of the required 6. I hated everything about the 80's with a passion: the fashion, the coke, the muzak, Reagan, Maggie, the lot. So the DX-7 ain't my thing but the Volca version of it is, in my opinion, the best one for the money. Almost no concessions were made.

The Nubass at the time of writing is €188 which is completely overpriced. Especially compared to the Behringer RD-3.

I've seen many a Youtube video featuring the V. Modular, but it's just not musical enough for me... Sorry. I really want to love it because it's a great introduction to modular, which i can't afford.

Anyway, I hope Korg will keep on developing Volca's. They're so much fun because they are portable (battery, speaker) and do not require a lot of menu diving and do not have to many functions for one knob. The Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators really suffer from that: they are incomprehensible because of lay-out and too many functions for such simple devices. The Volca's are a nice introduction into the specific area each one covers. They ain't perfect but that's okay given the price point.

MeneerJansen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:40 pm However, its weird quirky way of loading your own samples into it always holds me back.
Even when using vosyr? Just load samples to it, rearrange to taste and hit "load to device".

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:28 pm
MeneerJansen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:40 pm However, its weird quirky way of loading your own samples into it always holds me back.
Even when using vosyr? Just load samples to it, rearrange to taste and hit "load to device".
The free apps you need to load samples into this device are great! However, I'd like it way better if I could load WAV files into the device directly. Also, longer samples take a long time to load via the Synch IN port of the V. Sample via the computer's Audio line out. I've read that people experience errors during data transfer (like in the old days w/ a Commodore 64 and loading games from tape). At the price point the long wait for the samples to transfer and the "hassle" w/ an app is acceptable but an error after waiting 3 minutes for 10 seconds of samples less so.

I'm still very tempted to buy one after seeing the possibility to do ye 'olde time stretch and loop on Youtube. Reminds me of how Public Enemy made their first albums (i.e. a lot of James Brown drum break loops!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpdQ-hX ... ex=47&t=0s

And this brilliant one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfyPd1X6rX8&t=177s

MeneerJansen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:40 pm The Volca's are cheap and nice for the price. However, save up about €100 more and you can buy something 10,000 better.
So which €250 modular synth is 10,000 times better than the Volca Modular? :hyper: :hyper:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

tbf im happy to go to a grand for 10,000 times better :shrug:

I had a Volca Modular for a while and it was kinda fun, but (keeping it within that €250 range) honestly I enjoy both Aalto and Arturia Easel more; they sound better and are more powerful.

And well outside that price range, I've got my Eurorack stuff :party:

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 pm
MeneerJansen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:40 pm The Volca's are cheap and nice for the price. However, save up about €100 more and you can buy something 10,000 better.
So which €250 modular synth is 10,000 times better than the Volca Modular? :hyper: :hyper:
Ha ha. You got me there. :wink:

MeneerJansen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:40 pm The Volca's are cheap and nice for the price. However, save up about €100 more and you can buy something 10,000 better. That's the big difference between the Volca's and, for instance, the Korg Monologue, Arturia Microfreak, UNO Drum & Synth, etc. For €100 more than those machines you do not get a whole lot more
In terms of creativity, more features doesn't necessarily mean better. I have a minilogue, but I find the Volcas (keys and bass) generally more inspiring and fun to use. Mainly because I think they sound great.

Well, for roughly 50 euros more again, there’s the Neutron...

Anyway, I like the Volcas. Cheap ‘n cheerful. Most of them well worth the typical retail price.

Sold my Beats to get a Waldorf 2-Pole for Sample and Drum, loving the combo. :D

The NuBass will probably get crushed by the competition, yet the sequencer is lightyears more fun :party:

Added midi-out to the Keys to get more variety out of it, sometimes that filter gets too vintage-y for my taste...anyway works great with my iPad synths.

two silley xoxtechnacid moments, one is just audio...
https://soundcloud.com/fuzzyparts/tjsbk

...the other is a phone-mic video

waiting man wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:17 am [...]Added midi-out to the Keys to get more variety out of it, sometimes that filter gets too vintage-y for my taste...anyway works great with my iPad synths.

two silley xoxtechnacid moments, one is just audio...
https://soundcloud.com/fuzzyparts/tjsbk
Wow! Didn't know my V. Keys can do Acid! Thanks for the audio link. :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”