Do any of the 300quid Synths respond to CC2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used to have the Basststation rack and keyboard. The rack differed in a few ways, one was having the filter respond to CC2 (From my Midi Sax). The later Bassstation II seems that it doesn't, but does have the filter and LFO respond to Aftertouch.

Do any of the recent wave of 300 quid synths respond to CC2.Ideally it would be Oscillator level and filter cut off, if not much more,

Something like the midisolutions event processor would let you rempad the cc2 events off your controller to whatever your hardware synth wants (cc1, aftertouch - whatever)

It's about half the price of the synth though, much more once I get it to Vietnam. Some of the new wave of 300 quid synths don't really respond to CC messages, so I'd still need to which ones do.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Probably a safe bet to say any synth which has presets will likely respond to CCs. Anything that's pure analog with no presets won't (each parameter would need an AD/DA to achieve this). But you can use a MIDI-CV converter if the synth has a CV in - obviously you will be limited to modulating whatever the CV in can be assigned to. If you need to do remapping of CCs before the synth you can do this with computer based tools. I use Bomes for similar things which is a paid app but there are most probably free things which will do the same. If this technique is important to you then it's probably worth investing some money in the tools to achieve it.

Most of the cheap modules have stunty Midi set ups. The companies all assume they know how you'll use the thing, and skimp on midi settings. Even the old reliables like Korg have gone midi-stoopid.

Looking back, maybe Waldorf Blofeld module, or DSI Mopho or Tetra might do the trick. If you don't mind bigger size, a Deep Mind. Also, oddly, the Crave responds to cc2, probably because the Mother 32 did first. I think the original D50 understood CC2, so maybe the boutique version might as well.

Aftertouch doesn't respond the same as breath control, so midi translate doesn't always do what you'd want. CC4 or 11 can sometimes do the translate trick, if the module actually supports them. Sigh...Midi-stooopid....

I mostly use a Blofeld and a Deep Mind 12r. Sometimes a Korg K2000r.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”