Novation Launch Control XL in higher build quality with good buttons?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there something like the Launch Control XL but with better build quality? I really dislike the wobbly , loud and not well feeling buttons on this thing. You have to be carefull to press them in the middle, because they are so wobbly. Especially the two rows of button below the faders are not feeling good.

I don't get it since years why most simple buttons feel so bad on a lot of midi controlers. I map most things to my computer keyboard (for typing words) at the moment, because the keys feel a lot better.

Launch Control XL is already the best build quality available (at least in that price range and portability). All others are worse, and I like the way they are...
If its too loud you might push them softer (I agree, less loud would be better). The less loud ones don't have a clear physical feedback and are wobbly times 10...
For pushing knobs, a standard Midi keyboard might better suit your taste, but you would have to make the mapping yourself...

Just wondering, but... what do you guys use the Launchcontrol XL for? Mixing, shooting clips in Ableton, or controlling your soft synths? Seems like the thing makes for a good soft synth controller... even though i probably would get lost without labelling the knobs...

I use it as mixer mainly, use the controls for sends... Its by far the best faderbox I came across yet... The others are either toys or way too big and heavy...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:21 pm Launch Control XL is already the best build quality available (at least in that price range and portability). All others are worse, and I like the way they are...
If its too loud you might push them softer (I agree, less loud would be better). The less loud ones don't have a clear physical feedback and are wobbly times 10...
For pushing knobs, a standard Midi keyboard might better suit your taste, but you would have to make the mapping yourself...
The overall quality is fine that's true. The size is perfect. The case is great. The smaller buttons on it are not good but ok. The knobs feel fine (I would prefere to not have the center click, but I understand why they have them). The faders are ok.

But the longer buttons below the fader have have a strange pressure point, are very wobbly and therefore sometimes doesn't work on the first try when pressed at the edge or not strong enough. So I always have to use a bit too much force to be sure they recognise the action, but that is an unpleasant feeling for my fingers and taxing when pressing these buttons a lot. I hate to press them from the feeling. They feel very cheap to me.

Compare the feeling to a good mechanical push button or even to a computer keyboard. I want that kind of solid feeling.

I don't want to hate the Launch Control, this kind of cheap feeling is something most non high-end midi controller share, which is something I don't get, good buttons are not that expensive. But something that feels so unpleasant haptically is nothing I like to use.

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:24 pm Just wondering, but... what do you guys use the Launchcontrol XL for? Mixing, shooting clips in Ableton, or controlling your soft synths? Seems like the thing makes for a good soft synth controller... even though i probably would get lost without labelling the knobs...

I don't use it with Live.
But I just map various knobs from synth or effects to the knobs and fader. Or I use the fader /mute toggles to mix when I need to control more than one parameter at the same time. For one parameter I just use the mouse.

Alright. :) Definitely seems like a nice controller.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”